A Major Leaguer, but just for that one team....

HedleyLamarr

Whilst taking in the Georgia game at a bar, a few friends and I were discussing a multitude of things (since the game dragged on a bit). Most of it was UGA and Fantasy Football related, but one offshoot topic came up: Players that are playing for one team, but likely wouldn't be playing for any other team. Guys that aren't stars or starters (or are starting, but by default of a shoddy roster), but they have a roster spot, and have spent the entirity of their careers with that one team.

In the Atlanta area, we have three pretty good examples: Mario West for the Hawks, DJ Shockley for the Falcons (and now on the practice squad, I believe), and Jim Slater of the Thrashers. They're OK guys, nothing spectacular, not having large roles for their teams....and in the case of West and Shockley, played their college game in the area and are basically hometown feel-good stories. West plays a minute per game, rarely scores, and has the ugliest free-throw shot south of Shaq. Shockley's been the 3rd QB but has never appeared in a game. Slater is basically a grinding 4th-line guy.

Who are your examples?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In Cincinnati it was Ryan Freel, for the Reds. His gritty, all-out play was loved by everyone, but he had a few injuries that led to him being traded last winter.

And it always seemed Juan Castro seemed to find his way onto the Reds year after year, but that ended two or three years ago.

For the Bengals, only two players remain on the roster since Marvin lewis first took over the Bengals in early 2003. Chad Ochicinco is one, and the other is Brad St. Louis, the long snapper. He's always listed on the roster and Long Snapper/Tight End, but I've never seen him take one snap at TE. It probably says that becuase there's no uniform number rules for Long Snappers. It just seems like it's a waste of a roster spot, but oh well.

Reno Mahe with the Eagles. Basically was on the team because he was a BYU guy and had connections with Andy Reid, but certainly not good enough to be in the league on merit. Actually was released, and then eventually resigned after the team had some punt-return issues a couple of seasons ago. I believe when he was off the team, he took a job as a hostess in a local sports bar, because... well, nobody else even considered signing him.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

This is a great, thought provoking question.

For my favorite team, the Washington Redskins, I'd have to go with RB Rock Cartwright. I can't see anyone else wanting him, and I don't understand why they still have him.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Jim Kleinsasser of the Vikings. He's been role playing for the Vikes since 1999.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

The Mets have had lots of these "cult" stars.

Marvelous Marvin Throneberry

Choo Choo Coleman

Art Shamsky

George "The Stork" Theodore

Lee Mazzilli

Wally Backman

Mookie Wilson

Benny Agbayani

One I can think of one on the Dolphins

Jim "Crash" Jensen

The Devils

Chico Resch

Ken Daneyko (maybe but I thinks hes a little better then those on this list)

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

The Mets have had lots of these "cult" stars.

Marvelous Marvin Throneberry

Choo Choo Coleman

Art Shamsky

George "The Stork" Theodore

Lee Mazzilli

Wally Backman

Mookie Wilson

Benny Agbayani

One I can think of one on the Dolphins

Jim "Crash" Jensen

The Devils

Chico Resch

Ken Daneyko (maybe but I thinks hes a little better then those on this list)

Did you read the topic description?

Most (if not all) of those players have spent time (considerable time in some cases) with other teams.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

for the Bucks, Desmond Mason was kind of a cult hero, though his first stint was more memorable than the second. The Buck who actually fits this idea, however, is Dan Gadzuric, even though not even the Bucks want him anymore, they just happen to be stuck with him. Hell, last season was the first time since he got his big payday that I can recall him playing significant minutes. And for anybody who still thinks the Bucks shoulda picked CP3 or D-Will...ask yourself whether you would prefer TJ Ford as your point guard, or Dan Gadzuric as your starting center.

though it's college ball, Wisconsin had a guy like this: Matt. Freaking. Unertl.

the Packers: several guys come to mind...Edgar Bennett. Gilbert Brown. Rob Davis. Brady Poppinga. De'mond Parker. Whisper Goodman. Dorsey Levens. Antonio Freeman.

the Cubs: the best wide receiver in Chicago, Jeff Samardzjia. heh, I recall watching a spring game a few years back, and Augie Ojeda came up...and the fans began chanting "Augie! Augie!" If he wasn't a D-back right now, he would qualify.

the Bears: the one and only Cap Boso

Avalanche: admittedly he might be a stretch, but David Aebischer

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

Although he spent time in Calgary, Darren McCarty's the first person who popped into my mind. Kirk Maltby fits the bill as well, I suppose.

I was going to suggest those two as well. Especially McCarty.

Detroit Dragons - 2010 ULL Gait Cup Champions

Detroit Cougars - 2010 and 2011 WAFA Wills Cup Champions

I would think the NFL is a goldmine for players of this type. Hell, every year the Jets have these fringe players who either stick or get cut, and always end up back year after year somehow. I would imagine every NFL team has these sort of players, always cut and re-signed or brought into camp multiple times, etc.

Especially since the NFL has reliance on special teams which guys can be successful in a role on one team and never be wanted by another.

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

A few Sabres that come to mind are Paul Gaustad, Pat Kaleta and Lindy Ruff. Paul has been with the team since he came up to the NHL in 02-03, but is a fan favorite. Kaleta has only been with the Sabres for 3 years, but he is also a local guy and fan favorite gritty forward. Lindy Ruff played the first 10 years of his career with the Sabres, he was traded and played with the Rangers for one full season, but came back and coached the team for 12 years now. He wasn't a star with the Sabres, but was a solid player who gave 100%.

For the Bills you could say Jon Corto, a Special Team guy and backup LB, has been with the team for only 3 years, but has been a fan favorite since he went to High School a few miles from Ralph Wilson Stadium, which also happened to be my High School. You could also say Brian Moorman, he has been in the Pro Bowl as a punter, but has been with the Bills since 2001, and has done so much good in the community, he is also a fan favorite.

saBS.png

Although he spent time in Calgary, Darren McCarty's the first person who popped into my mind. Kirk Maltby fits the bill as well, I suppose.

I was going to suggest those two as well. Especially McCarty.

Draper could probably fit that mould too. Of the three grind-line guys he's probably the most marketable to another team, or was.

the Packers: several guys come to mind...Edgar Bennett. Gilbert Brown. Rob Davis. Brady Poppinga. De'mond Parker. Whisper Goodman. Dorsey Levens. Antonio Freeman.

For almost as far back as I can remember, the Packers have had a token clunky midwestern white guy that the local sports guys verbally molest for having a "blue-collar workrate." It started with Matt Brock, who was replaced with John Jurkovic, then Adam Timmerman and now its Aaron Kampman. Kampman has since justified all the attention he gets, but he's the first one on the list to do so.

Archived