New helmet wallpaper idea

MG helmets

The shadow under the shelf is going the wrong way. If the the shelf is being lit from above (as the reflection on the helmet suggests the shadow should be the shape you have but flipped 180 degrees. Right now you have a shadow that is actually wider than the physical width of the shelf at it's point of origin. Other than that it's pretty much flawless!

Do you have any tutorials on how to create helmet templates in photoshop? I'd be really keen to give it a try, the transparent helmet mounts are outstanding! It would have been much easier I would suspect to go with solid white plastic ones but the clear brackets and a real touch of class and make it all the more realistic!

Fantastic work, I'm truly jealous.

9erssteve

9ersstevesig.png

The shadow under the shelf is going the wrong way. If the the shelf is being lit from above (as the reflection on the helmet suggests the shadow should be the shape you have but flipped 180 degrees. Right now you have a shadow that is actually wider than the physical width of the shelf at it's point of origin. Other than that it's pretty much flawless!

Do you have any tutorials on how to create helmet templates in photoshop? I'd be really keen to give it a try, the transparent helmet mounts are outstanding! It would have been much easier I would suspect to go with solid white plastic ones but the clear brackets and a real touch of class and make it all the more realistic!

Fantastic work, I'm truly jealous.

9erssteve

Yeah the shaodw bit bothered me. The light source is not really from straight above. I guess it should just above the "camera" view, like a flash. There would be multiple light sources (room lighting and "camera" flash), so there should be multiple shadows at two different angles. I'll play with that. Thansk for pointing that out.

OK, I fixed the shadows under the shelf and I think it looks much better. Thanks 9erssteve.

wall-shelf-2.jpg

Your welcome, although while it's a lot better I would say it's still off slightly. I cant make up my mind exactly what's up but the shadows dont match up with the depth of the shelf properly and it's creating a strange effect whereby the wall under the shelf begins to look more like a floor. I think it's either that the shadows are to short for the shelf or the self is too deep for the shadows but the two dont seem to meet the wall at the same place and they dont appear to move away from one another at a 90 degree angle. I hope that makes some kind of sense.

The shadow is the "right way up" now and i LOVE the double effect it's certainly the way to go, so big improvement, I'm sure with one more tweak you'll nail it.

9erssteve

ps. Still hoping for a tutorial. B)

9ersstevesig.png

• 1 month later...

You never fail at creations that amaze and inspire............ and frustrate. I think you have done what you likely set out to do and that was to capture your audience by making us stop and look trying to figure out what you did or did not create due to its realism. As for the frustration...... I have spent lots of time and can not come close to replicating what you do. Lately I have been trying to recreate your decal offset to add another dimension of realism to the helmet tempates I use but just can't get it there. Should you care to share any tips I am all ears!

Awesome piece!

Absolute excellent textures!

The shadow didn't bother me. It's an illustration, not a photo.

But if you are seeking photo realistic, you're on the right path with the fine tuning the multiple light sources/shadows

(including the helmet's shadow as aligned with the helmet's highlight flashpoint - shadow on shelf & back wall).

Question: The field image... is it behind a matte finish glass or regular glass?

Would a bit of flash reflection be there as well?

Photoshop is my favorite program!

1sigHawks-1.png

2sigHawks.gif

Archived