2009-2010 NHL Season

njmeadowlanders

What no Seattle? Even the ESPN NHL people think Seattle deserves a team. :D

And I agree with them. Now if only there was some kind of ownership group willing to invest in such a project will within the community to drop $250 million on an arena project. I have a hard time believing it wouldn't work out in a traditional hockey market such as Seattle.

There.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And I agree with them. Now if only there was some kind of ownership group willing to invest in such a project. I have a hard time believing it wouldn't work out in a traditional hockey market such as Seattle.

I've never thought of Seattle, or for that matter the Pacific Northwest, being a traditional hockey market/hotbed in the United States. The only places in the US I consider to be hockey hotbeds are the Northeast, the Great Lakes/Midwest, and the Colorado/Utah area.

What no Seattle? Even the ESPN NHL people think Seattle deserves a team. biggrin.gif

And I agree with them. Now if only there was some kind of ownership group willing to invest in such a project. I have a hard time believing it wouldn't work out in a traditional hockey market such as Seattle.

Seattle isn't a traditional hockey market. It doesn't have a place to host NHL hockey. It doesn't want to build one either. Seattle doesn't have enough Canadians, troglodytes, or Canadian troglodytes to form the bedrock of an NHL fanbase.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I've never thought of Seattle, or for that matter the Pacific Northwest, being a traditional hockey market/hotbed in the United States. The only places in the US I consider to be hockey hotbeds are the Northeast, the Great Lakes/Midwest, and the Colorado/Utah area.

I always wonder why Salt Lake City does not come up more often? Maybe it is because there really isn't any support there for an NHL team? For that matter, has there ever been any potential owner(s) approach the league? It just seems like a reasonable place for a franchise. Maybe looks can be deceiving. I'm sure the arena situation would be a problem.

I always wonder why Salt Lake City does not come up more often? Maybe it is because there really isn't any support there for an NHL team? For that matter, has there ever been any potential owner(s) approach the league? It just seems like a reasonable place for a franchise. Maybe looks can be deceiving. I'm sure the arena situation would be a problem.

I think it has a lot to do with it being a small market and the fact the other winter sport league has a local franchise.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Flames have released Theo Fleury I really thought he could make at least to Abbotsford.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=292512

On the NHL.com website news release, Sutter stated that their intentions were never for him to play in the AHL. That seams kind of dumb to me. Claude Lemieux had to play in China to start the year last year. I have a feeling that perhaps Nashville might target him as well maybe even Forsberg. They have consistently stated they are looking for a sniper.

Also I am speculating on a deal with Columbus and Toronto. Brian Burke likes a physical player and currently has an excess of defenceman and Scott Howson is looking to dump one of his extra wingers(Jason Chimera, Frederik Modin, Alexandre Picard etc.) and currently could use a few more puck moving defenceman. Now I know that Chimera and Modin are both injuried, which limits the possibility of a trade right now, but I am speculating that a Mike Van Ryn/Ian White for Jason Chimera/Frederik Modin type of deal would be good for both teams.

ogopr90c4s7q4ez68ga7vhbyh.gifv7xqqsng0c3badvnm9i4e3oca.gif8sg7h2ns8fixo1yqzakt0uvwb.gif

Flames have released Theo Fleury I really thought he could make at least to Abbotsford.

On the NHL.com website news release, Sutter stated that their intentions were never for him to play in the AHL. That seams kind of dumb to me. Claude Lemieux had to play in China to start the year last year. I have a feeling that perhaps Nashville might target him as well maybe even Forsberg. They have consistently stated they are looking for a sniper.

The AHL is, after all, a developmental league for players looking to sharpen their skills to they can crack and stick with the NHL club. Generally, you don't sign a 41-year-old guy to take the roster spot of a 20-year-old in the minors....it's either the NHL or nothing.

As for the Thrashers, they made a few moves that flew under the radar:

-- They made a deal with Anaheim(?), bringing back D Steve McCarthy, an offensive-minded D-man.

-- They've offered tryout deals with LW Maxim Afinogenov and G Manny Legace.

Unless Legace has something left, I don't know why the Thrashers have him...they have a goalie surplus as it is. I saw Maxim play a bit Wednesday night...he's a speedy guy but has trouble staying on his skates.

The AHL is, after all, a developmental league for players looking to sharpen their skills to they can crack and stick with the NHL club. Generally, you don't sign a 41-year-old guy to take the roster spot of a 20-year-old in the minors....it's either the NHL or nothing.

I think Winnipeg still has 40-something Mike Keane under contract. Having a character veteran around can be an asset to the development of younger pros.

With Theo's history though, I doubt he's the guy management would look upon as ideal for mentoring prospects. :P

As for the Thrashers, they made a few moves that flew under the radar:

-- They made a deal with Anaheim(?), bringing back D Steve McCarthy, an offensive-minded D-man.

-- They've offered tryout deals with LW Maxim Afinogenov and G Manny Legace.

Unless Legace has something left, I don't know why the Thrashers have him...they have a goalie surplus as it is. I saw Maxim play a bit Wednesday night...he's a speedy guy but has trouble staying on his skates.

Fluery could have a good mentor to the Heat players like Mike Keane is in Manitoba; he knows what it takes to play in the league, and how to screw up your career. It wouldn't of cost the Flames much and it seemed like wouldn't of minded playing in the AHL.

The Thrashers also announced that Evander Kane has made their team. Hopefully they don't ruin his NHL career like the Jackets messed up Gilbert Brules and he can become a star player who can inspire African Americans in the South to take up hockey.

Wouldn't introducing a person who only knows how to get into trouble to a town in which that is the only thing to do be a bad influence on the young players?

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I think Winnipeg still has 40-something Mike Keane under contract. Having a character veteran around can be an asset to the development of younger pros.

With Theo's history though, I doubt he's the guy management would look upon as ideal for mentoring prospects. :P

Teams in the AHL have a quota or players who have played a certain number of professional games. I bet Fleury would command too high of a salary to take up a veteran spot. They could fill that with a lesser heard of veteran would would cost less.

1zqy8ok.gif

Couldn't the Heat still technically sign him. That's what the moose did with Keane. They signed him by themselves, not through Vancouver.

Why? He counts against the veteran maximum regardless of whose name is on the paychecks.

Today, we are all otaku.

Wouldn't introducing a person who only knows how to get into trouble to a town in which that is the only thing to do be a bad influence on the young players?

He's won a cup and a gold medeal and if he can teach the players not to make the same mistakesm and just enjoy the game the way he seems to be doing now I think that would be a positive influence around the dressing room.

Archived