Rockies Concept

RichNCreamy

I've been an almost-lifelong Rockies fan (I was 4 during the inaugural year), and I've grown really tired of the team always trying to pretend purple isn't part of their scheme. IMO its the most original part of their identity, actually. Which is why I decided to drop all their other colors and just run with the violet here. I've always liked their logo, but its hard to deny how dated it looks lately. And with the unis, I kept it simple (and finally ditched the pinstripes). I've been tinkering with this for a few days and I like where its heading...

logodisplay.jpg

UNIDISPLAY.jpg

C&C of course welcome!

Not bad. I like the reductionist approach. One nitpick: could you try editing the mountains a little more? It seems like this concept could be up there with some of the other really good Rockies concepts if the entire package was new.

Again, as others have done before you, this is a HUGE upgrade.

I have been imploring the Rockies to ditch the pinstripes and the current font to something cleaner, sleeker, and with more purple in it.

I took one design in here and brought it on my laptop down to the clubhouse earlier this season and showed it to numerous players - as well as to Rox clubhouse & equipment manager, Keith Duggar.

The reaction was mixed.

For instance, Troy Tulowitzki said he liked their current look, Jeff Francis liked the new look I showed him, most players endorsed the new look I had presented versus what they have now.

Duggar told me he doubts the franchise will ever change their logo, but admits they have looked from time to time at what they could do in order to update and or change the look of their uniforms.

For the record - I love their road jersey's with the gray and purple pins with the purple letter that says COLORADO. The font really pops off that set and I have no problem with it - however - I'd endorse the road set you have presented here as a more suitable alternative.

As to a 'western font' we live in Colorado - we are indeed 'Western'.

Embrace it, cherish it, hold it dear to your Colorado heart.

Proud to be a Coloradoan!

Again, as others have done before you, this is a HUGE upgrade.

I have been imploring the Rockies to ditch the pinstripes and the current font to something cleaner, sleeker, and with more purple in it.

I took one design in here and brought it on my laptop down to the clubhouse earlier this season and showed it to numerous players - as well as to Rox clubhouse & equipment manager, Keith Duggar.

The reaction was mixed.

For instance, Troy Tulowitzki said he liked their current look, Jeff Francis liked the new look I showed him, most players endorsed the new look I had presented versus what they have now.

Duggar told me he doubts the franchise will ever change their logo, but admits they have looked from time to time at what they could do in order to update and or change the look of their uniforms.

For the record - I love their road jersey's with the gray and purple pins with the purple letter that says COLORADO. The font really pops off that set and I have no problem with it - however - I'd endorse the road set you have presented here as a more suitable alternative.

I realize this is somewhat off topic, but which one did you show him. If you don't want to post the image in this thread, PM me.

I like this update very much, and I agree with Bohob that the reductionist look has been well executed. Everything is clean and simple, but because of the way you are using purple, the set is also instantly identifiable and distinct from the rest of the league. That "C" cap is also gorgeous. Very good job on this.

HURRICANES | PANTHERS | WHITE SOX | WOLFPACK

Definitely a fan of ditching the black and going just purple and white, although if you wanted to keep silver that would be nice too. Keep the interlocking CR, I don't think it is dated and is a nice looking logo, like is as an alternate jersey as well. I think the part of the current look that REALLY needs updating is the ball in front of the mountains logo, it just looks a little minor league-ish to me

crsig.jpgnsig.jpg

I really like the Western flair, but I feel like it needs a second color. Black? Silver/grey? A second tone of purple? Brown? You shouldn't be able to get away with one color in modern design.

The NOB lettering looks off to me. While I appreciate vertical arching, it looks like a modern spin on varsity block, which clashes with the Old West of the numbers.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I am in the samp that thinks the Old-Westerny font doesn't work for the Rockies. I also think you should keep Silver. It makes it look a lot better and doesn't take away from the Purple. I think an updated/altered simple standard block font could work great. Just a few changes to the standard letterforms can make it unique but also feel like an old baseball font.

No, I do not have to embrace the fake westerness of Colorado. I would rather not be associated with that idealism...

Thanks.

Colorado really is not that Western anyways.

I only clicked on this by accident because I'm burnt out on Rockies concepts, but I have to say this is how the Rockies should've looked from day one. They OWN purple in MLB, I don't know why they don't do something like this.

I could see your point if you were only talking about Denver, but the entire state of Colorado is not that western? Really?

I only clicked on this by accident because I'm burnt out on Rockies concepts, but I have to say this is how the Rockies should've looked from day one. They OWN purple in MLB, I don't know why they don't do something like this.

I could see your point if you were only talking about Denver, but the entire state of Colorado is not that western? Really?

Yeah... The entire state isnt that Western... I have lived here for 24 years up and down the Front range, from Colorado Sprigns to Denver to Fort Collins.. Colorado isn't that Western..

How much time have you spent outside of Colorado though? Maybe you don't see how western the state is because you're immersed in it. I only seem to notice how "rust belt" Milwaukee is after returning from a visit to another part of the country.

While the elements of what one would - and or could identify as a 'Western State' are the prerogative of each individual, I have to refute the notion that Colorado is not emblematic of a Western region - it certainly is.

While the cosmopolitan themes of the city of Denver have changed over the years - -the majority of the state is steeped in western heritage and tradition...and thank heavens for it.

If one were to peruse the counties of Weld, El Paso, Pueblo, Las Animas, Costillo, Rio Grande, Alimoso, just about every county toward the eastern plains, you will see signs everywhere of a proud, independent, and free, western heritage, that includes massive amounts of agricultural and livestock ranches and farms most everywhere you look.

Even Denver continues to hold on to its unique and legendary western feel in some quarters.

In addition, Denver is the home to one of the most well known Western clothing and apparel stores in America, if you're ever in town make sure to hit Rockmount Ranch Wear (www.rockmount.com)and you won't be disappointed.

Denver is home to the largest western stock show in America each January, as hundreds of thousands make their way through the doors of the National Western, which this coming year (Lord willing) will celebrate its 104th anniversary.

Indeed we are Western, and proudly so.

Certainly history and modern culture have changed not only Colorado's 'western feel', but most of the other Rocky Mountain Western states as well.

While it is up to each individual to ascertain the importance or the acknowledgment of the importance of western history and culture in our great state - there is no denying that many-many-many people, still foster the culture, the unyielding spirit, and relish the unique and distinctive flavor of Cowboy spirit and independence that Colorado possesses now, in its past - and hopefully, for many years on into the future.

Tis' a pleasure to live in the great state of Colorado USA.

Now if we could only get rid of the far too liberal Denver Post and bring back the Rocky Mountain News.

I have to say...I like it. The lack of a third color is definitely a challenge in this day and age, but you pulled it off well. Plus, you did the two things that really need to happen in the world of the Rockies: no more pinstripes and return of purple as a primary color. Well done!

The only thing I'm not sold on entirely is the cap and the cap logo. I think that the interlocking "CR" has become far to ingrained in the minds of Rockies fans that you can't just leave it behind entirely. That, and the "C" on its own (as it stands now) is just not iconic enough from a marketing standpoint. Imagine looking up at that logo on the Coors Field screens...it doesn't really pop or suggest "Colorado Rockies" (to me, at least). I think that if you worked the "C" into a "CR" it would definitely help the overall package.

As for the cap...I'm not sure what I dislike about it, but I just feel that it's not working right now. Too simplistic, probably? As I think to teams that have a single-color mark on their caps, most have an additional letter (the Yankees have "NY", the Dodgers have "LA", etc); if there's not another letter, there's another color (Boston's "B", for example). I think that some work here will really push this concept over the edge.

And as a personal peeve, Q and Spilly are hardly the best names for a concept. Bring out Tulo and Uball! ;)

Excellent concept! Good work! :)

2011 Colorado Rockies | Season from Hell

sig_11.png

Archived