NRL 2010 Uniform Changes

Gazzzaf

We missed out on this last year but for the few league fans on the boards, its a good idea to have a thread for it.

From what I've seen around the place so far here is whats changing for next year.

Knights Home (Possibly returning to their heritage strip)

00002173-image.jpg

Knights Away

582066.jpg

Panthers Away

00000458-source.jpg

Raiders Away (one of these three, I REALLY did not want this to happen)

00001210-Photo.png

00001693-Photo.jpg

00001211-Photo.png

Titans Home/Away/Alternate

IMG.jpg

Sharks Home (Back only so far but I hear there's a V on the front)

568964.jpg

sig.png

On top of this, Dragons->Reebok, Titans->Adidas, Sea-Eagles->ISC.

New Dogs logo (already mentioned on the boards)

0,,6668584,00.jpg

And with Paul Osborne as the new Eels CEO, he is looking to turn back the clock for the Eels, possibly using this gem as soon as next year:

eels.jpg

and looking at their membership drive, maybe a return of this logo

00003837-image.jpg

It's be brilliant if they did...

sig.png

568964.jpg

Looks and sounds quite a bit like this:

sharks10.jpg

Sharks wore these for their Round 26 matchup against Souths.

My condolences on the Raiders' new aways. If Oregon had a rugby league team, they'd wear that.

Also, please explain how a team with three seasons on the books can have a "Heritage" jersey.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

568964.jpg

Looks and sounds quite a bit like this:

sharks10.jpg

Sharks wore these for their Round 26 matchup against Souths.

My condolences on the Raiders' new aways. If Oregon had a rugby league team, they'd wear that.

Also, please explain how a team with three seasons on the books can have a "Heritage" jersey.

The Sharks moving away from their most popular strip really bugs me, it was very original and hugely popular with the fans. The new strip seems to focus more on sky blue/white as opposed to sky blue/black. I'd say their current home jumper will become their heritage strip like it was in 2006 (I think).

The day the secondary strip options came out for the Raiders I got straight onto the club with a lengthy email. How can a club with such a classy home strip:

2009Rd11-TomLearoydLahrs1.jpg

Adopt an away strip with crap all over it? Black isn't a club colour and they didn't even get the shade of green right! I collect Raiders jumpers but I wont be getting that one out of principle.

sig.png

Black isn't a club colour

Hasn't stopped Russell from taking a piss all over the Bunnies now, has it? I certainly hope the white rabbit returns at home, and that those hideous Impact numbers get dropped for 2010. After all, black bunnies = losing half your starters to injury. It's proven by science.

And agreed with you on the Sharks. That wide, black torso stripe is a unique, classic look. I don't care for the use of the "V" by any current club, because the design gets interrupted, and therefore ruined, by the primary sponsor. If you're going to plaster ads on the jersey, wear a design which fits them, instead of one that looks as if bumper stickers were slapped on the players during warmups.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Black is a Souths colour but should only EVER be used on the shorts. I don't mind a white set of alternate shorts either. I'm pretty sure its been three years since a change and I would love to see the side panels disappear next year and a return to a white rabbit on the jumper, the black just looks murky against a dark colour.

sig.png

That will help make up for the lack of a sponsor :D *ZING!*

Followed by an explanation of how that design in any way constitutes a 'Heritage' jersey as we know it...

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/parramatta-ceo-says-eels-working-on-classic-jumper-logo/story-e6frexnr-1225776736368

Its been confirmed by Eels CEO, Paul Osborne, that the Eels are returning to their 1980's style logo and jumper but it wont be until 2011. They'd be allowed to change the uniform for next year (minimum 3 years for a jumper) but I suppose they would have had to have given the NRL extra notice regarding the logo change. A new heritage strip for next year too apparently.

sig.png

• 4 weeks later...

Here's a better look at the Sharks. Big downgrade. In round 1 they plan to include all members names imprinted in the jumper so it looks like this trend has crossed over from the AFL.

shytejersey.jpg

sig.png

That Sharks kit reminds of some very dull Manly and Parra kits of similar design back in the late 90s/early 00s. Not a fan.

The return of Parra to the 4 stripes of the 80s is great news which their fans will love. Their current kits sort of hint at that design in a modernised take.

There are only two options for Newcastle to not look too red or too blue and that's the heritage strip coming back as it appears, or the red/blue striped kit that they won their first premiership in. Can't knock them for that. The last couple of kits were misfires being blue with almost no red trim.

Adidas can't help themselves, the sublimated sword pattern for the Titans features 3 swords of course!

liverpool-1.png

Here's the Indigenous All Stars logo:

allstars_320x240_1.jpg

And this will feature on the jumper apparently:

allstar_artwork1.jpg

allstar_artwork2.jpg

Thanks Gazzza. Since the public is picking the All Stars team they should run a comp to have someone design it! Gazzza and Mero should do a few and put them up here.

Awesomely detailed rundown of the known changes for next season.

For the most part I'm opposed to practically every change coming up (except the Bulldogs and Eels changes, which are really reverting to their old look). I like the Newcastle Henny Penny/Yellow numbers jerseys but again they ruin it with terrible whites.

The Panthers used the chocolate soldiers jerseys to great effect this season; now they're introducing a jersey that if worn by a fan in the stands, makes them look like they support an altogether different team.

I think we've already discussed how tragic those Canberra abominations are. Black for the Raiders is ridiculous. Bad in literally every way. Part of me thinks they picked the jerseys with the explicit goal of drawing additional attention to their sponsors' logos.

The Titans' jerseys don't look bad here, but near as I can tell that's mostly because it's hard to see the sublimated illustration of the swords in the scan. I must admit I thought the team looked pretty good on the field this year (despite my general distaste for overtly sublimated/gradiated jersey designs). Turning that into something downright illustrative seems ludicrous.

I hate everything about the new Sharks jerseys *except* the fine text over it, which I think is a reasonable way (for a single round) to pay tribute to the people who financially support a team in utter turmoil. I've never liked the Sharks' look (maybe just the local rivalry, though). I think their current wordmark is a travesty, and this new jersey isn't much better.

I wish jersey manufacturers recognised that the best league jerseys feature large, uninterrupted blocks of single colour, with simple, geometric lines/stripes of a single colour. Like the Dragons, the Roosters, the (good) Raiders, the chocolate soliders Panthers, the old Balmain and Wests jerseys, the current popular Sharks jersey, etc., etc.

Gradients (like in the Eels' current jersey on the sleeves) and complex compositions (current Cowboys) just don't work.

Dragons.gifPreds.gifTitans.gifSonics.gif

Crests.gif

Here's the Indigenous All Stars logo:

allstars_320x240_1.jpg

And this will feature on the jumper apparently:

allstar_artwork1.jpg

allstar_artwork2.jpg

Thanks Gazzza. Since the public is picking the All Stars team they should run a comp to have someone design it! Gazzza and Mero should do a few and put them up here.

I'm just thankful I don't have to re-create that in Illustrator for my footy jumpers.

Oh, and I've got a site.

Footy Jumpers Dot Com

• 4 weeks later...

Been a while since this thread was updated and since then there have been a fair few updates. Starting with ISC clubs...

eels2010jersey.jpg

souths2010jersey.jpg

sharks2010jersey.jpg

manly2010jersey.jpg

roosters2010jersey.jpg

panthers2010jersey.jpg

raiders2010jersey.jpg

So asides from Souths, all the teams have switched to a new template with a low profile collar, rubber grip, side panels (with vents) and a raglan cut. I generally prefer the raglan cut but they've gone and cut the Roosters "v" off at the sleeves which I'm not a fan of and am sure that Roosters fans will agree.

Titans look just as odd in the flesh. They've all but eliminated the gold and are focusing on the double blue look...

00004891-image.jpg

And the new Storm set has been derided by pretty much everyone...

indexphp.jpg

The odd shaped lightning bolts, awkward sleeves, random piping, colours (two SMALL patches of gold only on the home and silver piping only on the away) and most of all the already obtuse ME logo has been made even more noticeable, really heading into WOW territory here.

sig.png

Archived