NFL Weekly Uniform Notes

Bmac

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you, Miami Dolphins, for wearing aqua jerseys at home.

Thank you, thank you...thank you.

Yeah, but they forgot the aqua pants :cry:

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Man, we done had dome teams wearing white at home...day or night. It's been a half-epidemic the past two or three years.

We don't get (okay...I don't get) to see the aqua tops enough. I love them.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

it appears the Dolphins helmets, despite being white, have that metallic paint rather than the flat white mostly all teams with white helmets use.

is this new? or has it been like this for a while?

I really do not like how they have elaborate sleeve stripes for the aqua jersey and just a solid aqua band for the regulars.

The gold in the Falcons helmets was a little bothersome, but the story behind why it was put there makes sense. Browns need stripes.

In other news, could we maybe keep this thread for every week in the NFL, and bmac, you would just change the subtitle every week?

It's much easier to have a weekly thread. This way we aren't wading through 146 pages by week 6. And again, I have to ask...What difference does it make? :D

Ok, ok, good point, obviously I missed this discussion earlier, let the people decide! Whatever the masses want!

The gold in the Falcons helmets was a little bothersome, but the story behind why it was put there makes sense. Browns need stripes.

In other news, could we maybe keep this thread for every week in the NFL, and bmac, you would just change the subtitle every week?

It's much easier to have a weekly thread. This way we aren't wading through 146 pages by week 6. And again, I have to ask...What difference does it make? :D

Ok, ok, good point, obviously I missed this discussion earlier, let the people decide! Whatever the masses want!

My vote is for a new thread every week. That way it's smaller, more condensed and in the future if you want to remember when a team wore a certain look then you search the week and it'll most likely be discussed in that week's thread rather than drudging through a 100 page monster.

PvO6ZWJ.png

it appears the Dolphins helmets, despite being white, have that metallic paint rather than the flat white mostly all teams with white helmets use.

It's been like that since at least 2004, maybe earlier.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

it has been that way since they went to the more modern look back in 1996-1997

Miami.png

Yep, and the stripes and decal have been metallic since 2007 or so as well.

It's easier to count the non-metallic helmets these days; I think the Bengals, Browns, Colts and Steelers are the only teams that don't have at least some type of pearl finish on their helmets. I still couldn't tell if the Jets are plain white or pearl white, and of course all the throwback helmets are plain finish.

Since I work there, I've been at every Eagles home game (except for 3) since they moved in to the Linc in 2003.

On Sunday, I noticed that the "shine" on their helmet was far more noticeable than I've ever seen it - it definitely looked like their helmet was more metallic than it has been before. I asked someone else, and of course they don't pay attention to such things, but I'm pretty sure that it wasn't just a case of the light hitting it just right - it really seemed different.

Does anyone know if they're using a different type of paint this season?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I know its been going on for quite a while now, but is anyone else bugged by the Jets wearing their white socks with the all-white uniform combo? Looks washed out and kinda whimpy. I dislike a white sock with white pants almost as much as I hate the dark socks with dark pants combo (which makes my blood boil).

I know its been going on for quite a while now, but is anyone else bugged by the Jets wearing their white socks with the all-white uniform combo? Looks washed out and kinda whimpy. I dislike a white sock with white pants almost as much as I hate the dark socks with dark pants combo (which makes my blood boil).

Totally agree. The green socks look so much better, principally because they seem to go better with the green sleeves of the white jersey. Of course, I think the green socks should have the two white stripes, too, but that's a different conversation...

1966BroncosMED.jpg64BearsBlasingamelowres-1.jpgKeyeReboundCloseJPG.jpgDUMagnuson.jpg

Totally agree. The green socks look so much better, principally because they seem to go better with the green sleeves of the white jersey. Of course, I think the green socks should have the two white stripes, too, but that's a different conversation...

The green socks are only worn with the green jersey/white pants. All other combos (White/White, Green/Green, White/Green) feature the white socks, at least dating back to 2005 which is as early as I have photos of every game they've played.

The only other socks I could find were with the original set in this style, here's Joe Namath with green socks and white jersey...both with and without stripes on them:

PT-AK802_69bowl_G_20090129134455.jpgJoe_Namath_Photo.jpg

By the way, Namath does NOT have extra stripes on his socks in the Super Bowl III handoff photo...that's tape for his knees...compare it to the socks Snell #41 wears.

Also, I personally like the way they do their socks now. Always the white ones except home green jersey and white pants when it's solid green socks. Of course I hate the green uni/pants combo, but that's another story.

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

Man, we done had dome teams wearing white at home...day or night. It's been a half-epidemic the past two or three years.

Agreed. It's been ridiculous. I think every early game that's been shown in my area has featured home teams in white. Tennessee and Philly this week and Tampa and Houston last week. I think San Diego wore white at home this week too. Or somebody did that bothered me a bit. The point is, it needs to stop.

Agreed. It's been ridiculous. I think every early game that's been shown in my area has featured home teams in white. Tennessee and Philly this week and Tampa and Houston last week. I think San Diego wore white at home this week too. Or somebody did that bothered me a bit. The point is, it needs to stop.

OK. Why?

Has it ever occurred to anyone that maybe these teams wear the white at home early in the season simply so the fans at the game, like maybe season ticket holders who drop a ton of cash on the team, can see the road uniforms in action a couple of times?

And again, I am not trying to be a smart ass by asking this, I would simply like to hear the logic behind the thoughts; why, in your opinion, do teams need to wear one uniform exclusively at home and one on the road? I just cannot for the life of me understand why it bothers people. And for the record, I like that some teams wear white at home early in the season. It's been going on since long before this place was even around yet the game has managed to survive.

BB52Big.jpg

OK. Why?

Has it ever occurred to anyone that maybe these teams wear the white at home early in the season simply so the fans at the game, like maybe season ticket holders who drop a ton of cash on the team, can see the road uniforms in action a couple of times?

And again, I am not trying to be a smart ass by asking this, I would simply like to hear the logic behind the thoughts; why, in your opinion, do teams need to wear one uniform exclusively at home and one on the road? I just cannot for the life of me understand why it bothers people. And for the record, I like that some teams wear white at home early in the season. It's been going on since long before this place was even around yet the game has managed to survive.

I can't speak for everyone, but myself and many others don't like home teams wearing white jerseys because it's hard to tell at first glance just who the home team is. Baseball, basketball, and hockey all have more-or-less hard rules about the uniforms, so why do NFL teams have to screw around all the time? Many casual fans have a hard time with this too, and I have had many arguments with these folks about where a game was played, and I always get the "well, that team was wearing their dark jersey so they HAD to be the home team." :mad:

You should be able to tell at first glance who the home team is and who the away team is. If this had always been done, I would not have had to spend significant hours over the last 10 years researching this stuff, but I digress. ^_^

Some teams believe wearing white at home on a hot day gives them an advantage, but going back to 2002 the home team wearing white has only won 52% of its games, so it's benefit is insignificant. If I were "NFL Commissioner Blue Falcon" then I would force all teams to wear dark at home...but leave the door open to alternate jerseys and throwbacks.

NorthernColFightingWhites4.GIF

Archived