NFL Weekly Uniform Notes

Bmac

I've always thought that if it's a hot sunny day and both teams have to wear undershirts, spandex pants and shoulder pads then they're both going to be hot regardless of what color jersey they're wearing. I like to see some kind of consistency across the league and like Bluefalcon up there know before I see anything else (on field paint, wall graphics, fans) who the home team is.

Last week San Diego wore white jerseys at home presumably to force Baltimore into wearing purple, but they wore the navy blue pants. Following the idea that dark=hot, shouldn't that be just as bad if not worse?

PvO6ZWJ.png

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You should be able to tell at first glance who the home team is and who the away team is. If this had always been done, I would not have had to spend significant hours over the last 10 years researching this stuff

It's pretty easy to tell who the home team is. That large logo that's painted on the center of the field can be a clue. Then there are the words painted in the endzone that can provide some insight. If those two fail you can always simply look at the score bug on the TV screen. The home team is always listed last. In fact, the home team is listed last in box scores, schedules, scoreboards, and so on. Now that I think about it, jersey color would be about the last thing I'd use to determine the home team. There are just too many easier and quicker ways to figure it out.

BB52Big.jpg

It's pretty easy to tell who the home team is. That large logo that's painted on the center of the field can be a clue. Then there are the words painted in the endzone that can provide some insight.

Not every NFL team paints a logo on the field or in the end zone. What if the team is at the 20 yard line and the TV never shows the rest of the field? Even if they do have a midfield logo, you have to wait until a QB heaves a pass way downfield for the TV to show it...(unless you're the Redskins, and then you never throw anything longer than 6 yard passes...or the Lions, who haven't crossed midfield since 2007.)

In analyzing old NFL photos, I have to look for clues to see who the home team was...for instance, a game between the Bengals (in white) and Oilers (in blue) in the early 70s is played on Astroturf...but there is sunlight, so it clearly can't be a game at the Astrodome. I even have to check and see if it was a preseason game, which is sometimes impossible to determine! Another example is the Jets (in white) against the Seahawks (in blue), and the game is on grass, so it's in New York!

If those two fail you can always simply look at the score bug on the TV screen. The home team is always listed last. In fact, the home team is listed last in box scores, schedules, scoreboards, and so on.

You, me, and many on this board may know that...but you'd be surprised to find out how few NFL fans know this, and I'm talking about guys who have been watching for 40 years. There are many old NFL books which actually list the winning team on top, regardless of whether they were home or away. :blink:

NorthernColFightingWhites4.GIF

It's pretty easy to tell who the home team is. That large logo that's painted on the center of the field can be a clue. Then there are the words painted in the endzone that can provide some insight.

Not every NFL team paints a logo on the field or in the end zone. What if the team is at the 20 yard line and the TV never shows the rest of the field? Even if they do have a midfield logo, you have to wait until a QB heaves a pass way downfield for the TV to show it...(unless you're the Redskins, and then you never throw anything longer than 6 yard passes...or the Lions, who haven't crossed midfield since 2007.)

In analyzing old NFL photos, I have to look for clues to see who the home team was...for instance, a game between the Bengals (in white) and Oilers (in blue) in the early 70s is played on Astroturf...but there is sunlight, so it clearly can't be a game at the Astrodome. I even have to check and see if it was a preseason game, which is sometimes impossible to determine! Another example is the Jets (in white) against the Seahawks (in blue), and the game is on grass, so it's in New York!

If those two fail you can always simply look at the score bug on the TV screen. The home team is always listed last. In fact, the home team is listed last in box scores, schedules, scoreboards, and so on.

You, me, and many on this board may know that...but you'd be surprised to find out how few NFL fans know this, and I'm talking about guys who have been watching for 40 years. There are many old NFL books which actually list the winning team on top, regardless of whether they were home or away. :blink:

Well if that's the case then I'm sure that the teams will look into changing it just for you. :D

BB52Big.jpg

Digging further, this photo is circa late 90's early 00's that shows white jerseys, white pants, and the solid green socks for the Jets:

5-5.gif

...They definitely haven't done it from 2005-Present at minimum however.

This looks so much better than the white socks!

1966BroncosMED.jpg64BearsBlasingamelowres-1.jpgKeyeReboundCloseJPG.jpgDUMagnuson.jpg

Archived