NFL Washington Concept - Renamed Redskins franchise

Patchez

I'm thinking it's time to rename the NFL Redskins for the obvious "PC" reason.

(Personally I am fine with Indians, Braves, Blackhawks, but this one's got to go!)

The Washington Monuments.

While I incorporated THE Washington Monument within this primary (patch) and word mark, the name refers to all Washington DC area monuments.

I am still working on a secondary which may include other monuments.

I would not change colors, helmet or uniforms.

C+C please!

monumentshelmet.png

monumentspatch.png

1sigHawks-1.png

2sigHawks.gif

i really like the Monuments name. However, while I see the W and the M, i also see 2 Xs. Maybe some type of break between the 2, maybe interlocking like William & Mary, is it?

I think the actual monument is forced in there. Maybe if it was more abstract or involved the team colors more.

Washington (INDEPENDENT) Football Logo

Dude, take a PILL, and quit ragging on this guy's Pro Logo.

Couple of problems here:

1. The name is "monuments", which is obviously supposed to refer to a towering... well, monument. However, the image of said monument is totally enclosed from within the W and M. It'd make a lot more sense IMO to give the monument a more prominent stance, coming up above the W (or at least in front of it.) Either that, or scrap the WM idea all together.

2. Not sure that this name could ever be trademarked - and the trademark issue is what could cause them to drop Redskins, so I doubt that they'd realistically go in this direction. It's cool since it's just your concept, but if you're looking for something actually realistic, this may not be it.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

There's a cognitive dissonance to rooting for a team nicknamed "the Mons" when their logo has a phallic symbol in it. I just don't know what's what anymore. Left is right. Up is down.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

There's a cognitive dissonance to rooting for a team nicknamed "the Mons" when their logo has a phallic symbol in it. I just don't know what's what anymore. Left is right. Up is down.

"cognitive dissonance" :blink:

"the Mons" and "phallic" :rolleyes:

In is out?

1sigHawks-1.png

2sigHawks.gif

Not liking the logo. Needs to be reworked- but I think you can make it work. I like the monument being above the W. That helped. I also see the XX. Maybe if there was a space between?

The rounded football might be my least favorite part though. So many sharp edges, then the clip-art styled football.

Washington (INDEPENDENT) Football Logo

Dude, take a PILL, and quit ragging on this guy's Pro Logo.

I don't quite understand the dig here.

Oh, it's not a dig on you or your concept at all. Just a reference to a former member who always made Washington concepts under multiple handles.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Personally I'm getting sick of this nickname changing because of people getting offended by it; it's only a name. If one team has to change, then they all have to.

I thought about this and they all have to do with government/military, my suggestions would be:

Federals (from USFL)

Generals ( from the Globetrotters opponent)

Colonels

Admirals

Senators (maybe not because of all the attempts of passed failed MLB teams)

Sentinels (from the movie The Replacements)

or even how about the

Thunderbirds

Warriors

Personally I'm getting sick of this nickname changing because of people getting offended by it; it's only a name. If one team has to change, then they all have to.

I thought about this and they all have to do with government/military, my suggestions would be:

Federals (from USFL)

Colonels

Admirals

or even how about the

Thunderbirds

Warriors

Warriors is the best one. I remember someone did a redskins rebrand with the name warriors but kept the native American theme. It was unreal!

ogopr90c4s7q4ez68ga7vhbyh.gifv7xqqsng0c3badvnm9i4e3oca.gif8sg7h2ns8fixo1yqzakt0uvwb.gif

Federals (from USFL)

Colonels

Admirals

or even how about the

Thunderbirds

Warriors

Amen. They should and will always be the Redskins. The "Monuments" is barely better than the "Redskin Potatoes" concepts.

Looks like it could be a S.B. XX logo for a game being played at RFK.

87Redskins.png

I feel that the logo has too much going on. Look at other NFL logos, they generally don't have an icon (monument), two initials (W&M), and a football. Plus, the managerie of elements takes away from the monument itself, in addition to contrasting with the geometric simplicity of said monument. I like that you tried to change the name, however. I've always disliked the name Redskins. If fans feel it's OK to root for the psychopathic act of scalping a person and taking that scalp to the government to collect a refund, then you probably won't be able to have an argument about rationally renaming the franchise with them. As for the colors, I like the burgundy, but feel it might be paired better with another color, perhaps silver?

you guys realize that none of this arguing about nicknames actually gives the OP the c/c he was looking for, right?

Look at other NFL logos, they generally don't have...

That's the only thing I have a problem with, I don't feel a logo design HAS to be everything another logo is or is not.

As ugly as it may be, the Houston Rockets kinda broke new ground with their current. Hoping it eventually changes again though!

I give them credit for a change.

Generally, I look at a logo as a composite, I don't read them (XX or WM) or try to pull out one component over another.

I prefer a design that is versatile when it comes to reproducing them into different media.

Be it the size of a business card/letterhead or painted huge on the field, court or under the ice.

And yes, how it can be converted to look good in embroidery... but not necessarily a priority.

I appreciate the C+C from you all!

P.S. Thanks BBTV!

1sigHawks-1.png

2sigHawks.gif

i think that native americans are making big deal out of enoughing,but if redskins do decide to change their nickname i would go for

1.Washington Warriors

2.Washington Sea Dogs

3.Washington Federals

4.Washington Senators

5.Washington Warhogs

6.Washington Sentinals

Redskins is over the top now a days. IMO. I am not speaking for Native Americans.

Warriors, Braves, Indians are fine. There are probably more I can't recall now.

But I do like Washington Sentinels a lot!

1sigHawks-1.png

2sigHawks.gif

Look at other NFL logos, they generally don't have...

That's the only thing I have a problem with, I don't feel a logo design HAS to be everything another logo is or is not.

As ugly as it may be, the Houston Rockets kinda broke new ground with their current. Hoping it eventually changes again though!

I give them credit for a change.

Generally, I look at a logo as a composite, I don't read them (XX or WM) or try to pull out one component over another.

I prefer a design that is versatile when it comes to reproducing them into different media.

Be it the size of a business card/letterhead or painted huge on the field, court or under the ice.

And yes, how it can be converted to look good in embroidery... but not necessarily a priority.

I appreciate the C+C from you all!

P.S. Thanks BBTV!

I'm not saying you have to copy an existing logo, but with how many elements you have and how thin the outlines are, the logo seems choppy and disjointed. A little simplification and stylization would go a long way here.

Archived