Draw Brawl 09 Challenge Four

Cola

You might wanna back off on the Snickers, that sugar buzz is getting to you!

I understand...

it's like on the basketball court (in real life), you're playing H-O-R-S-E and when one gets to H-O-R,

you change the rules to H-O-R-T-I-C-U-L-T-U-R-A-L. to give the slower ones more time.

Cool! That's fun!

1sigHawks-1.png

2sigHawks.gif

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't agree at all with the #2. If a contestant sends in extra stuff (jerseys), the judges will take that into account and if it's adds to the entry, then obviously it will help the contestant, but if the jerseys are horrible that will take away from the overall entry.

But they should not take that in account at all.

The only things that should be judged on are what the minimum requirements are.

So what you are saying is that there are two standards that the entries are judged on? Those with the extras and those without?

How can you judge something fairly when some only enter the minimum requirements and they are judged on those, when others enter jerseys, socks, pants, courts, fields, hats, helmets, beanies, etc., plus the required minimums and they are judged on those?

It just seems like that when extra things are entered, it unduly clouds the entry with extra fluff.

P.S. I would also hold to the stated deadlines!

Wouldn't making a deadline be part of the challenge as well?

In the real world of design, guess what... there are deadlines.

On the subject of extras, why not give those who want to an option of doing more? Sometimes people are in a time crunch, maybe can't get the chance to do uniforms, etc. So we require a bare minimum that each entry needs. Those who have plenty of time, and maybe want to work on other stuff besides just the bare minimum? We give them the option of having to do more.

Sorry if this seems like an uber harsh post, it's just frustrating to see people criticize something that is meant to be fun, and the judges are trying their best to make sure this runs smoothly. We had 4 entries at the end of the first deadline, so we wanted to extend it to give people some more time. If you want it to run differently, make your own contest.

If someone wants to add the extras, that is fine, but to remain objective and fair to those who don?t do the extras, they should be entered separately and not be judged with the minimum requirements.

As far as ?make your own contest?, I have.

er?.. i think you are being pretty unfair on chestnuts.

he extended the deadline so as to accommodate more people in the 4th challenge. whats the point of just having only a first and second place in each tier?

with regards to 'extras'. the brief gives you a guide and a list of the minimum requirements. if we are going to talk about 'the real world of design', then doing the minimum

wont get you very far.

it is his contest and he gets to make up the rules (and i think we have established that he does so to make the whole affair a bit more interesting).

people who want to hold their own contest, good luck to you. i hope that you will come to reconsider your comments when you realise that it is a lot more work than you might

initially think.

Christ, now I'm the most hated and childish member on the boards, eh?

I don't understand why a member couldn't post uniforms if they wanted to. Obviously the majority of the judging would be on what was actually required, but I'd be lying if I said subconsciously I didn't take into account the extra stuff someone had done. Seems like you are all unfairly gaining up on me, when I'm just trying to hold a fun competition for the members of the boards. If you don't like how I'm running it, don't participate. It's a lot harder than you think.

But whatever, I'm done.

spacer.png

erikas | go birds | dribbble 

Here, I'd like to offer an opinion-- I see nothing wrong with what chestnutz did. This is a fun competition; why not encourage the most participation possible?

I can honestly say I really wish I could've participated this round but I've been really busy with school work, which is why I only entered the first two.

Why is everybody making such a big deal out of this? It isn't like we are competing for money. It is far from the worst run contest I have seen on these boards. There will be problems one way or the other. It would be nice if the voting would start soon, though.

MegatronSig2.jpg

Participation was very low for this round, so a lot of people missed out on some possible points in the competition.

Maybe because:

1. This round was not interesting to a wide range of people.

2. The younger, more inexperienced designers are overwhelmed by entries that are submitted with the extras not asked for in the requirements. In other words, yadda yadda

1. That is your opinion. This challenge is a common theme for any competition on CCSLC- rebrand a team. Difficult animal/mascot to tackle? Possibly. That is why they are called challenges.

2. No entries include uniforms, so moot point now.

Voting thread is up.

Obviously the majority of the judging would be on what was actually required, but I'd be lying if I said subconsciously I didn't take into account the extra stuff someone had done.

Thank you. That says it all.

Participation was very low for this round, so a lot of people missed out on some possible points in the competition.

Maybe because:

1. This round was not interesting to a wide range of people.

2. The younger, more inexperienced designers are overwhelmed by entries that are submitted with the extras not asked for in the requirements. In other words, yadda yadda

1. That is your opinion. This challenge is a common theme for any competition on CCSLC- rebrand a team. Difficult animal/mascot to tackle? Possibly. That is why they are called challenges.

2. No entries include uniforms, so moot point now.

Voting thread is up.

1. Apparently, others agree also. And those are just the ones that choose to post a reply.

2. I am not talking about this one contest in particular. The extras overwhelm what is being judged and stated by his own admission:

Obviously the majority of the judging would be on what was actually required, but I'd be lying if I said subconsciously I didn't take into account the extra stuff someone had done.

And as far as doing my own contest, for the second time, I repeat....I have.

davidson...you sound like a classy gentleman...

But I'm not!

What a bunch of freakin' WHINING PUSSIES!!!

A few good men are donating a whole whack of their time for the enjoyment of many...And THEY'RE getting criticised???!

I can't believe it!!

sizemore: "Waa Waa, there's too many specific things...I want it to be more creative...let me do whatever I want!"...

sizemore, I don't work in this business, but I doubt if too many paying clients would come up to you and say "Sizie-baby, just do whatever."

And sizemore, I bet you COULD render a gamecock if you put some effort into it. So, what?...if it's the least bit difficult you're not gonna enter? What a suck!

So_Fla: "Waa Waa, It's not interesting. Guys are doing extra stuff. Waa!"

So_Fla... "interesting" is a subjective thing. I thought they've all been interesting. I mean what's NOT interesting about designing a new L.A. NFL franchise?

If you don't find it interesting, then don't enter, but don't think that all your paying jobs are gonna BE interesting. So just suck it up and enter...or shut up!

And as far as adding extra stuff...If you think it "sells" you're concept, hey, go for it. But, as Cola said, it can backfire on ya.

I don't think that these judges are gonna be duped by smoke and mirrors.

Patchez; Yeah, there are deadlines in life. But many times, deadlines ARE extended. I think that the judges felt they were doing us all a favour by extending this one, and I think that they were right to do so. I get the sense that you think you should get some "brownie points" for meeting the original deadline, even though we were told two days in advance that the deadline was being extended. I could argue that you should have points DEDUCTED for not taking advantage of the extra time. Duh! If it's offered to you, TAKE IT!

Sergei; Great response Sergei. You've got the right attitude man.

Challenge yourselves; throw an entry in, have some FUN with it...and instead of trashing the guys who are putting this on; THANK THEM!

Geez...

Wow, nice post sparky :P

Really though guys, I just want this to be a fun competition. If you don't like it, just don't enter. It's one thread, you can stay out of it if you choose. Just don't come in here bashing me when I'm spending a lot of my own time for this competition please.

With that, we can move on. Round 5 will hopefully be a bit more interesting for you guys.

spacer.png

erikas | go birds | dribbble 

But I'm not!

Big man from behind they keyboard, aren't ya?

My point is that if you should make the rules, STICK WITH THEM.

Because if you don't, we are going to have cats and dogs living together and we will have anarchy, chaos and mayhem! :D

But I'm not!

Big man from behind they keyboard, aren't ya?

My point is that if you should make the rules, STICK WITH THEM.

Because if you don't, we are going to have cats and dogs living together and we will have anarchy, chaos and mayhem! :D

yes, and we are also going to have 4 people competing per round. the point is that it is hard to strike a balance. you didnt even enter so why is this such a big deal to you?

okay so you have made your point, you have your own competition, we all understand that it will be far superior, so lets leave it there.

Archived