Minor League Hockey Defunct Redesign

dgnmrwrw

#19: Huntington Blizzard // Huntington, WV

Logo.png

I've been working on this one for a while. It was requested many pages ago, and I've been working on several different versions since then. I definitely wanted an animal that would go with 'blizzard' instead of just using text or a snowflake (like they previously did). I had tried an owl with snow/wind coming from behind it, but it never quite looked right. So I settled on a bear, with a similar effect. The swirling shapes around and behind the bear are supposed to convey a (very abstract) feeling of a blizzard approaching. The colors are navy, white, silver, and teal, with touches of bright yellow in the logos.

I wanted the uniforms to look clean and use lots of the two 'blizzard' colors--white and silver. This is especially true of the white jersey, which I wanted to convey the idea of lots and lots of swirling snow. The crest is a slightly modified version of the primary, with the bear emerging from a blizzard. The sleeves have a light sublimated snowflake pattern between the last stripe and the bottom. On the shoulders there's a patch of a hockey puck inscribed with a snowflake, with snow/ice trailing behind.

Teal was an obvious choice for the alternate, and I wanted to have a more classic looking jersey. So I simplified the crest, using the bear's head. I also used simple striping, and snowflakes on the sleeves and waist, a la les Nordiques. The shoulder patch is a snowflake encircled by the team name and date, with snow swirls coming out.

Uni-Home.png

Uni-Road.png

Uni-Alt.png

HURRICANES | PANTHERS | WHITE SOX | WOLFPACK

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is amazing once again; I love how mysterious the primary looks, the whispy clouds give this an amazing affect. The home and road uniforms are great, but that alternate is a little dull, and a little disappointing. Nothing too serious, as it takes nothing away from such a great concept. Great job.

Your work never ceases to amaze me, the Blizzard concept is one more five-star set that you've created. Infact, it's jumped right up near the top as one of the favorite concepts I've seen on this board. Keep these coming, please! Excellent job!

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

I would use the teal color instead of the gray for the stripes on the white jersey. Other than that this is spectactular.

Yeah, the more I look at it, the more I think I pushed the "white-out" style a bit too far, especially on the white jersey. I'll probably end up changing it, and maybe the dark jersey as well.

Anyone else have any comments?

I would use the teal color instead of the gray for the stripes on the white jersey. Other than that this is spectactular.

Yeah, the more I look at it, the more I think I pushed the "white-out" style a bit too far, especially on the white jersey. I'll probably end up changing it, and maybe the dark jersey as well.

Anyone else have any comments?

I object, I would leave it. It definately gives the jersey more of a whispy feel to it, just as you intended for the primary logo.

On the alternate jersey, I wouldn't mind seeing a snowflake pattern (similar to the home/away) on the blue stripe. I think it would give a nice marriage between the progressive regular jerseys and the classic style you're going for on the alternate.

Spurs2017_HomeSignature.png.d781df3b4d5c0e482d74d6a47c072475.pngDortmund2017_HomeSignature.png.277fd43b7b71e5d54e4c655f30c9a1e6.png

Here's a look at two potential changes (both in very rough views). First, replacing the silver on the road jersey with teal. I think this is a more appealing look simply from a visual standpoint. However, as C Jay Z pointed out it does go against the look I wanted this team to have, so I'm not sure if it works better than the original. What you does everyone think?

Uni-Road2.png

Secondly the snowflakes subliminated on the stripes of the alternate jersey as vicfurth suggested. Again, I think this looks pretty nice, but it seems like it might be snowflake overkill given that they're already on the shoulders, sleeve cuffs, and waists. Thoughts?

Uni-Alt2.png

I like the abundance of white on the home jersey. The team is called the Blizzard after all. I would even suggest the return of the dreaded California Golden Seals patented white skates. (Ducks to avoid objects being thrown at him)

thecatch.jpg

I love the jersey templates, especially the white one, but to me Blizzard, does not equate to a bear, especially not one that is not Polar....

And the bears depictions you chose are not original enough: I see Hershey Bears, I see Memphis Grizzlies

@Frenchie_TO
Owner of the Rochester Americans of the MLH

Owner of the Toronto Frenchies of the GCFHL6

DGN....I seriously love the Blizzard concept.

Just one thing I think I should bring to your attention...bears hibernate in blizzard weather. Have you considered reshaping the bear's face to make it more like a polar bear? The bear you have comes across as a kodiak/grizzly bear...if you possibly change it to white...you might have a better representation of a polar bear.

"This isn't just the Oregon Ducks, it's Football's Future Turf Soldier War Hero Steel Robot Tech Flex Machine Army." -CS85

DGN....I seriously love the Blizzard concept.

Just one thing I think I should bring to your attention...bears hibernate in blizzard weather. Have you considered reshaping the bear's face to make it more like a polar bear? The bear you have comes across as a kodiak/grizzly bear...if you possibly change it to white...you might have a better representation of a polar bear.

Unfortunately, you could end up losing that teal-navy-gray color scheme, so IMO I'd leave it as is.

I really like this one, and I like the 2nd road jersey better because it pops better to me. I know you don't want this thread to become a request forum, but I would really like to see the Muskegon Fury re-done.

nlog42.jpg

Thanks Dolphins91 for the jersey avatars.

Archived