Minor League Hockey Defunct Redesign

dgnmrwrw

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Veryy nice man! I'd like to see a Providence Reds, Maine Mariners, Springfield Indians, Cleveland Barons, Pensecola Ice Pilots or Pheonix Roadrunners. Or just any minor league team that was around for decent period of time, or had a good record while they were around.

If you're doing defunct A.H.L. teams then you've got to include the Buffalo Bisons, the Pittsburgh Hornets, the Baltimore Clippers and Les As de Quebec (Quebec Aces)as well as those named above. The 1960s A.H.L. was great hockey and some great uniforms. I saw ALL of these teams play many, many times. It was great "old time hockey."

Ranking the nine actual uniforms in order:

1. Rochester Americans- A timeless classic with a perfect, wordless logo.

2. Buffalo Bisons- UCLA inserts and the Pepsi logo were automatically recognizable.

3. Quebec Aces- the bi-lingual logo and the colored knee patches gave them a foreign flair.

4. Hershey Bears- the original Brown uniforms with the step-down lettering and standing Bear logo made them unique.

5. Providence Reds- Fighting rooster logo and later UCLA-inserts a big plus.

6. Cleveland Barons- Cartoon logo an improvement over just the name "BARONS" & numbers.

7. Pittsburgh Hornets- Red Wings clones with a clip-art logo looked pure rec. league.

8. Baltimore Clippers- No logo and sans serif letters and numbers made them very plain.

9. Springfield Indians- No logo, just numbers from the ultra-cheap Eddie Shore.

Of the nine teams only Rochester and Hershey are still playing in the A.H.L.

• 2 weeks later...

#20: Phoenix Roadrunners // Phoenix, AZ

Logo.png

This one's been around for a while and I've done several distinct versions before I finally settled on something I felt comfortable with. The colors are crimson, navy, and orange, with touches of yellow. (The contrast between the yellow, orange, and crimson should be higher; as usual, the conversion from Illustrator dulled things a bit.) I wanted the logo (and wordmark) to convey a definite sense of speed and movement, for obvious reasons.

The uniforms are, well... a bit wild. Again, these took a long and strange evolution, but I like them because they have a very distinct look. The primary crest is simply the roadrunner head from the primary logo. Yes, there are side panel stripes on only the left side. On the shoulders, there's a diamond-shaped patch with a desert scene and the Arizona flag motif.

The alternate uniform has somewhat more traditional striping, though it does use thin yellow, orange, and crimson stripes in succession, almost creating a gradient effect. The crest is a roadrunner silhouetted with desert scenery and a blazing sun paired with the "Roadrunners" wordmark. On the sleeves, the Arizona flag star/sunburst pattern is sublimated lightly, with the "Phoenix" wordmark embroidered just above the cuffs.

Uni-Home.png

Uni-Road.png

Uni-Alt.png

HURRICANES | PANTHERS | WHITE SOX | WOLFPACK

I agree with what CJZ said about the way the head terminates, maybe if the lower left was more solid (without the orange in between the navy/black). The jerseys overall are great, but the numbers on the white jersey would be more legible if you swapped the orange and navy/black color. Plus it would match the logo and striping better.

That Roadrunner set is absolutely gorgeous...

I like the non-symetry of the primary shirts.

Not crazy about primary logo, but LOVE the logo on the third...

Just looking at it, I feel the desert heat!!!

And the shoulder patch on Home & Away, could easily be used by the coyotes!!!

@Frenchie_TO
Owner of the Rochester Americans of the MLH

Owner of the Toronto Frenchies of the GCFHL6

Have to say this, the Phoenix Roadrunners jerseys are so beautiful and breathless. .wow... impressive work, dude..wow...

Ice Hockey International Winnipeg Braves (Bobby Hull Division 18-3-0 1st place as of March 14, 2011)

2010-11 O'Brien Trophy for Bobby Hull Division championship & Jack Riley Cup for top team in league regular season

I'd like to see the Whoopee set, but apparently you've deleted it. Far as the ones I can see, though, that Huntington Blizzard set kicks boute, and you actually made something cool for that moniker of awkwardness that is the Beast of New Haven. I'm not sure I would've thought of the hydra myself.

I gotta agree with Puck that your 'Runners set doesn't really seem to fit em. But the third is sweet.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

Love the Roadrunners logo, hate the jerseys. As a player, I wouldn't wanna wear them. Too many curves detract from the fact that it's a tough, hard-edged sport. Incongruous shapes at the bottom / side. And my personal pet peeve: diagonal waist stripe! It works on old soccer jerseys because the stripes go clear across the whole thing, from shoulder to hip. But these 'Anaheim' style stripes go nowhere to nowhere.

p.s. I'm not trying to harsh anyone... just explaining my opinion.

Love the logo and the colors for the 'Runners. While unique, the main sets (home, road) are a little much with the striping, though the alt. is awesome, and really gives a desert sunset-ish feel to it.

I've got to be the 61st person to put up a request, but please, please do the Salt Lake Golden Eagles when you have the chance. :D

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396

Archived