Minor League Hockey Defunct Redesign

dgnmrwrw

#2: Asheville Smoke // Asheville, NC

Logo.png

This one is a bit tricky. I've used a dragon here, because I remember the Smoke using a (cartoon) dragon in their old identity. I'll grant that the dragon-to-smoke concept is slightly weak, but I'm running with it. I tried to add a smoke trail to the logo, but it was so small and insignificant that I just went with the dragon. The dragon's tail forms an "S." (Before anyone suggests that I should have used the "S" to do a script "Smoke", I tried it, and couldn't get it to work. Everything was unbalanced.) It's still a good logo, so I hope it holds together conceptually. Anyway, I've changed the colors to dark purple, sky blue, dark gray, and light gray. The dark and light gray both work as "smoke" colors, depending on the situation.

For the uniforms, I wanted a simple striping pattern, but I also wanted to use the "smoke" idea. So each jersey has simple sleeve stripes, with "smoke" shapes on the side panels/upper sleeves and waist. On the dark (purple) jersey, the "smoke" sections are dark gray, while on the white jersey, the "smoke" sections are light gray. Hopefully, this gives both patterns an ethereal feel. The crest is the dragon logo, without the text. On the shoulders is an "A" logo, with the dragon's tail forming the A, and dragon's wings flanking the circle.

For the alternate, I wanted to have a light blue jersey with the A-dragon logo as the crest. I based the striping off of the logo style, and used the dragon's head as a logo on the shoulders.

Uni-Home.png

Uni-Road.png

Uni-Alt.png

HURRICANES | PANTHERS | WHITE SOX | WOLFPACK

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, that's a mean set. The rendering of the dragon is amazing. Because it is drawn so well, I don't like the text being slapped over it. Especially the "Asheville" part. Also, on the wing on the right, the lines going across the win don't seem to match up with the other wing.I hope you get what I'm saying, sort of the support arms within the wing shape. They seem like they would converge at a different point. Of course, you can't see that point so maybe my guess is just wrong. Anyway, everything else looks awesome, but why not have just one Gray in between the two you have now? It could serve the same purpose on both jerseys and you would have one less color. Might not work, but I would try it.

Agree with eRay, the dragon alone would be a much better primary, especially considering many hockey logos (or at least in the NHL) are simply a symbol with no text. That being said, the dragon rendering is pretty incredible. Can't say I like the font choice. Agency doesn't work here in my book. Uniforms aren't bad but I've seen better from you. The sleeve striping doesn't really match the curved underarm stripes all that well. I do like those curved stripes though, and the matching hemline. The alternate template is far superior. And oh my frickin' god, the dragon head logo is absolutely amazing. That's one of the better renderings I have seen in I don't know how long, and you didn't even use it much. I don't know why but I just love that dragon head. Seriously, your logos are off the charts.

Agree with eRay, the dragon alone would be a much better primary, especially considering many hockey logos (or at least in the NHL) are simply a symbol with no text. That being said, the dragon rendering is pretty incredible. Can't say I like the font choice. Agency doesn't work here in my book. Uniforms aren't bad but I've seen better from you. The sleeve striping doesn't really match the curved underarm stripes all that well. I do like those curved stripes though, and the matching hemline. The alternate template is far superior. And oh my frickin' god, the dragon head logo is absolutely amazing. That's one of the better renderings I have seen in I don't know how long, and you didn't even use it much. I don't know why but I just love that dragon head. Seriously, your logos are off the charts.

Good points, elliot. I think if you used the alternate template for the home and away, you'd have a damn fine concept. Then again, you might want to find a new alt template then, but that's up to you.

Far be it for little ole me to criticize, lol.

However, the dragon's wings look a bit off-kilter. For example, the "veins" (for lack of a better term) converge to one point on the left wing, but not on the right wing. Perhaps do the three-section style wing on both the right and left?

Spurs2017_HomeSignature.png.d781df3b4d5c0e482d74d6a47c072475.pngDortmund2017_HomeSignature.png.277fd43b7b71e5d54e4c655f30c9a1e6.png

Thanks for the feedback on Asheville. People mentioned the text and the wings as being weak points, both pretty valid issues. Honestly, I was confounded by the text. I really wanted to have the dragon's tail interact with it (like it appears here), so I needed something fairly regular. I also chose the type for the names and numbers on the jerseys first: I picked that face because it's tall and thin (like the crest logo), and sleek (that is, simple lines and cruves, sans serif). In the end, I used it in the primary logo for continuity and because I honestly couldn't find something else I liked better. I kinda liked that it was simple and thus contrasted with the very detailed logo, but I can see how people would think they don't jive. I'll keep looking for a better typeface, or if someone has one to suggest, I'll look at it.

As far as the wings go, they actually do match, but the dragon's body is viewed from such an angle that it's hard to see the perspective without more reference points. The logo is based on a sketch which is based on an original image. Each wing would have solid bone running along the top from the body to the tip. There would then be three "ribs" extending from a point on that top structure, flaring outward to the bottom of the wing. On the near/right wing, we don't see that point because it's hidden by the near side of the wing. It's going to be hard to try to rectify that, but I think I can probably change the angle of the bottommost of the three ribs on the front wing, and that might help.

Whew. That was exhausting. Anyway, I'll hopefully have the next team up soon.

#3: Raleigh IceCaps // Raleigh, NC

Logo.png

This one is very simple, so bear with me. The IceCaps logo I remember growing up was simply plain text, with some ice effects and a shooting hockey puck. I learned, however, that the IceCaps used to have a logo that used the top of the dome from the NC State Capitol. It's a very distinctive image, with a very distinctive color, and I liked how it worked with the Ice"Caps" pun. Sort of lame, I know, but it's minor league hockey. So what I've done here is basically a modernization of that idea, using the blue from the NC state flag, the weird teal-ish color from the Capitol dome, and silver. (Note: Illustrator is still going wacky with some colors; this time it gave the dark blue a purplish hue. It should NOT be purple.) I know there is a strange offset between the dome and the type, but that's just how it balanced best. I tried several different arrangements, and I thought this looked easiest on the eyes.

The unis are also fairly simple. I wanted straight and angular stripes to match the style of the text in the logo (the type is a custom creation, by the way). There is some thin piping on the sleeves and pants that matches the number outlines and the outline on the logo as well. On the shoulders, there's a patch with an R set below the "crown" from the top of the capitol, all above crossed sticks and an iced-over circle with stars. I used the R-circle logo as the crest on the alternate jerseys, which I made the teal color. I included lots of blue on the sleeves, chest, and socks so there wouldn't be teal overkill. Hopefully it's ok when used as an alternate only.

Uni-Home.png

Uni-Road.png

Uni-Alt.png

Archived