Minor League Hockey Defunct Redesign

dgnmrwrw

Thanks for the feedback so far on Raleigh. I know it's pretty basic, but hopefully there will be some more comments on it before I move on.

great concepts nice job. (love the backspacer avatar by the way, LOVE Pearl Jam! great album!)

Amen, brother.

HURRICANES | PANTHERS | WHITE SOX | WOLFPACK

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's nothing NOT to like in this kit. It is clean, well designed and the accents are perfect. My only gripoe if I went looking for one is the socks on the alt. They seem off to me. I don't know if they work with the bold stripe jersey. Perhaps take the stripe from the lower sleeve and use that on the socks similar to the running star motif on these breezers?

#4: Knoxville Cherokees // Knoxville, TN

Logo.png

A big departure here from what I remember the Cherokees looking like. Colors are red, brown, copper, and silver. I know that's a lot, but I think they work well together as a unified palette. A note on the colors: I tried to stay true to Cherokee color symbolism. Red represents success and triumph and brown is considered a "good" color (it's opposite is yellow, which represents strife). White, for what it's worth, represents peace and happiness. In addition, red represents the east and white represents the south, while north (blue=defeat/trouble) and west (black=death) are obviously not good. So I tried to make the arrows and elements in the logos point to the right or down (east and south--a little convoluted, I know). The seven-pointed star is also a Cherokee symbol, representing the seven Cherokee clans. The primary logo is text-based, with feathers, an arrow, and a stylized sun rising over the mountains.

The uniforms are very modern, with thin lines and sharp angles to match elements in the logos and the primary crest, which is a feathered "K" set above a downward-pointing arrow and arrowhead shield. On the shoulders is a seven-pointed star set above two crossed arrows inside a circle. The way the colors in the uniform stripes are arranged is intentional. I really liked how the colors were soft-edged, almost bleeding together. It's a different look.

For the alternate, I went with an all-brown uniform with simple red and white striping to contrast the business of the home and away unis. The crest has a stylized Cherokee brave above a sunrise scene with mountains, a river, and stars, all set within a feathered circle with the team name on top and the word "Cherokee" written in the Cherokee alphabet below. There's a lot going on, but it is for an alternate jersey. The star/arrow patch still appears on the shoulders.

Uni-Home.png

Uni-Road.png

Uni-Alt.png

If the Cherokee tribe ever decides to buy an ice hockey team, they should definitely look at this concept!

EXCELLENT work here-If I may be so bold as to make a request, my next suggestion is the old Macon Whoopee (best sports team name ever!)

bYhYmxh.png

Well done, sir. Native American team names can be tricky, but you tackled this project with class and dignity. Love the colors. Anytime you can work brown into a color scheme, I'm for it. My only gripe is the rust numbers on the red jersey. I realize you are trying to make sure the rust isn't lost in the scheme, but those numbers would be hard to read on the ice.

That primary logo is in the top 5 best Ive seen on these boards....unbelievable

sigpurp.png

---Owner of the NHA's Philadelphia Quakers, the UBA's Chicago Skyliners, and the CFA's Portland Beavers (2010 CFA2 Champions)---

You continue to amaze me. This team is phenomenally done. I wish the numbers could be colored like the stripes, sort of blending into the jersey, but you would probably have to leave out a color. The number coloring is the ONLY thing bothering me about this set. I can even live with the gradient on the alternate crest. Love the work you do.

I live in Knoxville now, and you REALLY should get in contact with someone with the current team here to see if they would possibly use them for a retro night. If that did happen, I would probably use the full primary logo on the front and the K logo on the shoulders.

Thanks for all the feedback on Knoxville. I'm glad it seemed to go over well. A few people mentioned the numbers, which I'll definitely look at. I had been in a habit of using white numbers on dark jerseys by default, and I wanted to break out of that. I thought it looked good, and I still do, but you're probably correct about it being hard to read. And maybe I can try to make them almost match the sleeve striping effect.

Thanks for all the feedback on Knoxville. I'm glad it seemed to go over well. A few people mentioned the numbers, which I'll definitely look at. I had been in a habit of using white numbers on dark jerseys by default, and I wanted to break out of that. I thought it looked good, and I still do, but you're probably correct about it being hard to read. And maybe I can try to make them almost match the sleeve striping effect.

I think a good way to balance the colors might be going with rust numbers on the white jersey. Just a thought. Also, upon further review, I think the outline on the right side of the mountains could be beefed up a tad. It looks a little thin compared to the other side.

Updates made to Knoxville; it's been finalized. I changed the numbers on the red jersey to white, and thickened the outline on the mountains in the primary logo. I like the new numbers, because they are brighter and they kind of have the soft edged look of the stripes. I didn't change the numbers on the road jersey, because I want to keep the primary focus on red and brown (so I probably shouldn't have had rust colored numbers on the red jersey to begin with).

Next team should be up shortly.

#5: Richmond Renegades // Richmond, VA

Logo.png

I know I've got at least one fan following this one, so I hope it works. Growing up, I remember the Renegades having a text-based logo and a purple/teal/black color scheme (rock on, 1990s!). When they re-emerged recently, they went with a pirate look with a blue and yellow scheme. I know Richmond isn't a port town, but I liked the pirate idea, especially after looking up what a "renegade" actually is (my dictionary says "a deserter of one cause or allegiance to another"). So I've gone with a pirate logo set--using rough type and a generally worn/weathered look to the logos--with black, dark teal (sea foam?), and gold as the colors.

The home and away uniforms are very conservative: I'm letting their color scheme (which is fairly unusual), logo, and typeface be the identifying elements here. The triangle pirate with raised cutlass logo is the crest. On the shoulders, there is a skull with an R on its bandana for a patch.

The obvious choice for the alternate uniform was an all-black, pirate flag-inspired look. So I've placed two crossed cutlasses beneath the skull for the crest. The swooping stripes are meant to mimic the look and general flow of the crest.

Uni-Home.png

Uni-Road.png

Uni-Alt.png

#5: Richmond Renegades // Richmond, VA

Logo.png

I know I've got at least one fan following this one, so I hope it works. Growing up, I remember the Renegades having a text-based logo and a purple/teal/black color scheme (rock on, 1990s!). When they re-emerged recently, they went with a pirate look with a blue and yellow scheme. I know Richmond isn't a port town, but I liked the pirate idea, especially after looking up what a "renegade" actually is (my dictionary says "a deserter of one cause or allegiance to another"). So I've gone with a pirate logo set--using rough type and a generally worn/weathered look to the logos--with black, dark teal (sea foam?), and gold as the colors.

The home and away uniforms are very conservative: I'm letting their color scheme (which is fairly unusual), logo, and typeface be the identifying elements here. The triangle pirate with raised cutlass logo is the crest. On the shoulders, there is a skull with an R on its bandana for a patch.

The obvious choice for the alternate uniform was an all-black, pirate flag-inspired look. So I've placed two crossed cutlasses beneath the skull for the crest. The swooping stripes are meant to mimic the look and general flow of the crest.

Uni-Home.png

Uni-Road.png

Uni-Alt.png

:shocked:

I LOVE IT!!!!

baltimoreravens.png

The renegades look good. Only only thing that I think needs works is the use of the shoulder skulls. The ones on the left shoulders looks backwards. Also, I'm not sure they are the best choice for the alternate jersey's shoulders. I think the pirate in a triangle might look better. Right now, I think it's a little skull overload on the alt.

The renegades look good. Only only thing that I think needs works is the use of the shoulder skulls. The ones on the left shoulders looks backwards. Also, I'm not sure they are the best choice for the alternate jersey's shoulders. I think the pirate in a triangle might look better. Right now, I think it's a little skull overload on the alt.

You've probably got a valid point about the skulls on the alternate jersey, and I'll look at it. Also, can you specify what you mean about the ones on the left shoulder looking backwards?

Anyone else with anything to add?

Archived