Minor League Hockey Defunct Redesign

dgnmrwrw

The renegades look good. Only only thing that I think needs works is the use of the shoulder skulls. The ones on the left shoulders looks backwards. Also, I'm not sure they are the best choice for the alternate jersey's shoulders. I think the pirate in a triangle might look better. Right now, I think it's a little skull overload on the alt.

You've probably got a valid point about the skulls on the alternate jersey, and I'll look at it. Also, can you specify what you mean about the ones on the left shoulder looking backwards?

Anyone else with anything to add?

It's because the bandana comes down on the left side of the skull. For example, if it were on a football helmet, it would look as if it were backwards. Flipping it but not the R should work.

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Really nice work on the Renegades.

The only things I noticed were that the elbow and waist striping on the home and away could be a little bit thicker. And also the typeface for the primary looks a bit to similar to the Cherokee logo for me but otherwise it looks simply fantastic. Good work again.

AtlantaThrashers.pngManchesterUnited_10Sig.png

It's because the bandana comes down on the left side of the skull. For example, if it were on a football helmet, it would look as if it were backwards. Flipping it but not the R should work.

So I think you mean the "tail" on the bandana should always be on the back of the shoulder. I'm not sure I necessarily agree in this instance, but I'll definitely look at it.

Thanks to people for the feedback, I'll get an update posted ASAP.

HURRICANES | PANTHERS | WHITE SOX | WOLFPACK

Richmond is updated and completed. I didn't end up flipping the shoulder patch on the home and away (if it were a football helmet, I think I would have), but I did replace the Skull patch with the primary Pirate logo on the alternate jersey's shoulder. I think bohob was correct about the skull overkill.

Next team will be posted soon.

#6: Winston-Salem Polar Twins // Winston-Salem, NC

Logo.png

Winston-Salem has a long history of professional hockey, with a pretty diverse collection of nicknames (Thunderbirds, Mammoths, Parrots, etc.), but I chose to redo the Polar Twins because they've used it twice (in the 70s, and for one year in 2004-05) and it's a pretty unique nickname. For each incarnation, the Polar Twins used a (terrible) logo with two polar bears, so that's what I've done here. It's a much more modern twist, with midnight blue, light blue, and bright green as the colors. I expanded the polar bear theme to include a night sky/stars/aurora theme. I know that the Minnesota Wild sort of have a copyright on the whole "animals with stars as eyes" thing, but I wanted to include a reference to Castor and Pollux, the twins from mythology and two bright stars from the Gemini ("Twins") constellation. More on that later.

The uniforms are pretty complex and a bit wild, so bear with me (and remember, it's minor league hockey!). The Polar Twins wear midnight blue at home, with thick white stripes flanked by thin bright blue lines above and bright green lines below. The crest logo is taken from the primary logo: Two twin polar bears set in front of a field of stars. At the base of the sleeves are VERY light, sublimated stars (much like what USA Basketball did on their recent Olympic jerseys), which I brightened here so they could more easily be seen. They'd be much more subdued in actual production. On the shoulders is a patch logo with a stylized WS monogram, the Gemini constellation, and aurorae shaped like the outline of the polar bears' heads.

Yep, the alternate is bright green! It feels like I've done too many dark blue/light blue designs, so I wanted something different here. I used the aurora logo as the crest, with a polar bear head patch on the shoulders, and wavy striping and piping, to match the flow of the crest logo.

Uni-Home.png

Uni-Road.png

Uni-Alt.png

How'd you know green, blue, and black is my FAVORITE color combo?

Aside from that, AWESOME package! If hockey ever comes back to the city (and that's a BIG IF), it would behoove them to use that set! With that and some good money behind it, I'd say it can work out this time!

bYhYmxh.png

I really like the usage of the stars on the jerseys. it gives it that peaceful winter night feel which works perfectly here. i love the eyes of the polar bears. im just not a fan of 2 animals in the same logo. I know that one college has two lion heads in theres too (forgot too. i think they go by Pride) but that might just be me and some might love the 2 heads. I'd like to the the word 'polar bears' bigger also but this is a great concept regardless and the style is so smooth and easy on the eyes if that makes any sense

These look really nice overall. One change I think you should make is to thicken the stroke between the bears in the logo, when i first saw it I couldn't tell right away what it was, at first I thought it was one ugly bear. Still great logo I just would like to see it more clearly.

AtlantaThrashers.pngManchesterUnited_10Sig.png

Dgn, I've been watching this thread since it started and this whole series is perfect. This is what a concept should look like. Although not much of a hockey fan, I really like the uniforms and especially the logos (my personal favorite was the Renegades one :grin: ). They all tie in well together and create a unity of the concept as a whole. Great job, and keep it up!

That Polar Twins set is unreal. That's great work. Love the side chevron and the sleeve-end stars. Beautious.

What I really like about what you're doing with these is that you're creating full primary logos that include the team name, but then also have jersey crests that take the names away. It's brilliant. I hate that minor-league teams slap big wordmarks over their jersey crests.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Thanks for all the feedback on Winston-Salem. I'm glad to see it went over so well.

im just not a fan of 2 animals in the same logo. I know that one college has two lion heads in theres too (forgot too. i think they go by Pride) but that might just be me and some might love the 2 heads. I'd like to the the word 'polar bears' bigger also but this is a great concept regardless and the style is so smooth and easy on the eyes if that makes any sense

I know that the Greensboro College Pride use that treatment. And don't forget, this team is called the Polar Twins, not the Polar Bears, so I kinda need both animals in there.

For the Polar Twins, you took a horrible name and made a beautiful concept. What I really like about the jerseys is that you've taken advantage of the Edge template to create a truly unique and modern design, whereas most NHL and AHL teams to this point have just taken a lazy click-and-fill approach, or have simply squeezed their old stripes into the new template. Those side panels, and the way the piping is used them, create a look that doesn't make me miss hem striping for a second. The subtle star design on the sleeves is a brilliant touch, and one that we'll hopefully see more of in real life, now that the Predators have gotten the ball rolling.

Now for the nitpicking: I think you should consider swapping the positions of the light and navy blue on the numbers on the alternate. Two light colors next to each other like that tend to get muddled from any distance. And while I like the shoulder logo, I question its practicality because of the gradient. That tends to be the sort of thing which doesn't translate well to embroidery or print applications, especially at a smaller size, like the shoulder patch.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Thanks for all the feedback on Winston-Salem. I'm glad to see it went over so well.

I know that one college has two lion heads in theres too (forgot too. i think they go by Pride
I know that the Greensboro College Pride use that treatment.

This is probably the one that you're thinking of. Hofstra Pride.

Dgn, this is one of the best redesigns I've seen. Every set has made me go "oooooo" in a good way. My dad lurks on here, and he said how good this was. Keep it up, man.

As far as requests, what about the Cincy Rail Raiders, or Macon Whoopie?

Archived