Minor League Hockey Defunct Redesign

dgnmrwrw

If you ever branch out to relocated teams, I'd like to see the Worcester IceCats.

http://i.imgur.com/4ahMZxD.png

koizim said:
And...and ya know what we gotta do? We gotta go kick him in da penis. He'll be injured. Injured bad.

COYS and Go Sox

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When you get the chance, PLEASE PLEASE do the entire defunct International Hockey League (IHL), the mid 90s-early 2000s league, not the shell of its former self that is in operation right now. These concepts are phenomenal.

I just want everyone to know, this isn't me posting on a different account...although I do like this guy's idea. :P

when you get a chance, im prolly the only one who wants to see the Chesapeake Ice Breakers (2 years in PG County, MD), these are bloody amazing.

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

#9: Kentucky Thoroughblades // Lexington, KY

Logo.png

Love the nickname. It's definitely minor league, but it's clever and appropriate and minor league in a good way. Their previous colors, however, didn't sit well with me. So I dropped teal, purple, and silver for the sake of blue, silver, and orange. And Yes!, I did use the silver effect on the type here. I apologize, but it honestly looked better than the alternative. Anyway, for the identity I wanted to focus on both the horse and the rider/jockey, as a "thoroughbred" conveys the idea of an animal that was bred by humans to be used in tandem with humans.

For the uniforms, I used a traditional striping pattern on the sleeves and socks, and then I angled those stripes on the front of the jersey to play off the shape of the crest. Those stripes then terminate on the back of the jersey, behind one of two matching swooshes. The crest logo is a modified version of the primary, a stylized horse and jockey charging forward. On the shoulders, there's a patch with a crossed horse shoe and hockey sticks encircled with type.

And of course, there's the wacky alternate (though perhaps not so bad, given the Broncos' recent AFL duds). I wanted to use a pattern from a jockey's shirt, and I saw many that were solid with vertical stripes on the sleeves. So that's what I've done here, with similarly styled stripes on the waist and socks. The crest is a silhouetted horse and jockey, with a sweeping K in the middle. The same patch appears on the shoulders.

Uni-Home.png

Uni-Road.png

Uni-Alt.png

HURRICANES | PANTHERS | WHITE SOX | WOLFPACK

#9: Kentucky Thoroughblades // Lexington, KY

Logo.png

Love the nickname. It's definitely minor league, but it's clever and appropriate and minor league in a good way. Their previous colors, however, didn't sit well with me. So I dropped teal, purple, and silver for the sake of blue, silver, and orange. And Yes!, I did use the silver effect on the type here. I apologize, but it honestly looked better than the alternative. Anyway, for the identity I wanted to focus on both the horse and the rider/jockey, as a "thoroughbred" conveys the idea of an animal that was bred by humans to be used in tandem with humans.

For the uniforms, I used a traditional striping pattern on the sleeves and socks, and then I angled those stripes on the front of the jersey to play off the shape of the crest. Those stripes then terminate on the back of the jersey, behind one of two matching swooshes. The crest logo is a modified version of the primary, a stylized horse and jockey charging forward. On the shoulders, there's a patch with a crossed horse shoe and hockey sticks encircled with type.

And of course, there's the wacky alternate (though perhaps not so bad, given the Broncos' recent AFL duds). I wanted to use a pattern from a jockey's shirt, and I saw many that were solid with vertical stripes on the sleeves. So that's what I've done here, with similarly styled stripes on the waist and socks. The crest is a silhouetted horse and jockey, with a sweeping K in the middle. The same patch appears on the shoulders.

Uni-Home.png

Uni-Road.png

Uni-Alt.png

Nice try, but I will stick with my old jerseys of the team. I think the teal, purple, black, white, and grey look so much better for a minor league hockey team.

spacer.png

Again, very nice work. Just a couple nit picks of mine. The way the horse's body swooshes past the jockey's foot give the horse a weird perspective where the head looks detached from the body almost, not quite sure how to put it. I think that by just putting the foot in front will add a bit better perspective and keep everything looking good. Also with the design on the horse all I can see is a Z, not sure if that's intentional but it just looks a bit weird. And lastly on the alternate uniform I'd change the socks to blue on top orange on the bottom because that way it flows better with the blue pants. Overall though another fantastic job.

AtlantaThrashers.pngManchesterUnited_10Sig.png

Man, you have talent beyond belief! Plus the way you're cranking out high quality concepts is making my head spin. Love the way you think out of the box. The alternate jersey resembling the jockey jersey is genius.

Keep making our jaws drop, please!

bobschultz6

' class="bbc_url">@

bobschultz6

I really like this like all of your work. I like your silhouette horse with the K the best actually but the primary is great also. The only thing...and this might be nitpicky but what the heck... is that the horse suddenly ends below the one streak and doesnt appear to have any lower half. it looks good alone in the partial logo you did, but with the word THOROUGHBLAES, it gives the initial idea that the entire horse should be running behind the word. maybe another blur streak to give the appearance or effect that there is moe horse body below but its moving too fast like a blur. if that makes sense. either way its awesome really

Wow, I haven't been able to visit this as much lately so I was going through the whole series and I am speechless. I can't even dream of concepts anywhere near as good. These are all perfect and professional. Great work.

"The 0-2 pitch... SWING AND A MISS! STRUCK HIM OUT! THE PHILADELPHIA PHILLIES ARE 2008 WORLD CHAMPIONS OF BASEBALL!"

J M yoU wish you had a Duke Dog!

Nice try, but I will stick with my old jerseys of the team. I think the teal, purple, black, white, and grey look so much better for a minor league hockey team.

Fair enough.

Again, very nice work. Just a couple nit picks of mine. The way the horse's body swooshes past the jockey's foot give the horse a weird perspective where the head looks detached from the body almost, not quite sure how to put it. I think that by just putting the foot in front will add a bit better perspective and keep everything looking good. Also with the design on the horse all I can see is a Z, not sure if that's intentional but it just looks a bit weird. And lastly on the alternate uniform I'd change the socks to blue on top orange on the bottom because that way it flows better with the blue pants. Overall though another fantastic job.

I really like this like all of your work. I like your silhouette horse with the K the best actually but the primary is great also. The only thing...and this might be nitpicky but what the heck... is that the horse suddenly ends below the one streak and doesnt appear to have any lower half. it looks good alone in the partial logo you did, but with the word THOROUGHBLAES, it gives the initial idea that the entire horse should be running behind the word. maybe another blur streak to give the appearance or effect that there is moe horse body below but its moving too fast like a blur. if that makes sense. either way its awesome really

These both seemed to take issue with the bottom (swoosh) on the logo, which I completely understand. It wasn't an easy section to work out, and I struggled with it. I really wanted to have that big streak in there to give the impression of speed and movement. But then it became a question of where to cut off the logo: what to include, what to leave out, what to minimize, etc. What I used was the best compromise I could come up with. Trying to rectify that logo with the type in the primary logo brings up all kinds of questions about what to include or change, or whether to take a minimalist approach, which I did. I'll grant that it's not a perfect solution, but it's the best I found.

#10: St. Pete Parrots // St. Petersburg, FL

Logo.png

From the ACHL, a team that apparently didn't last very long before it moved to Winston-Salem, and then folded. But I was very attracted to the name (very unique in hockey) and the way it seemed to work so well with the city name. So I redid the logo, with light blue, super dark blue (RGB 15/25/30), and yellow/gold as the colors, with bright green used as an accent/logo color. Basically, all the parrots I was using for reference sported those colors in that ratio, so that's what I went with.

So the uniforms use lots of curved sections of varying sizes along with some much thinner sections (piping), to mimic the shapes in the logo. Green was omitted from the home and away uniforms because it didn't play too nicely with the other colors, and I wanted to avoid anything too busy in the primary uniforms. On the chest is the primary parrot head logo. The shoulder patch is a palm tree coming up though a StP monogram, set inside an oval.

The alternate was fun. At first I considered a yellow jersey, but it was way too bright, even for my taste. So I went with the green from the palm trees and the parrot highlights of the primary logo. I created a new crest, a shield with the parrot head and type, flanked by outstretched wings. The striping on the sleeves, waist, and socks matches the style of the wings in the logo. On the shoulders is a full-bodied parrot, in the same style, carrying a hockey stick.

Uni-Home.png

Uni-Road.png

Uni-Alt.png

If you ever branch out to relocated teams, I'd like to see the Worcester IceCats.

That would be awesome. I should buy you a beer.

As for the concepts made so far, they are really nice. I especially like the Winston-Salem one.

Love the ThoroughBlades, just great. However, I'm not too fond of the Parrots. The issues I have with it are as follows:

1. I don't care for the way the parrot head terminates. It just seems weird. I wish I could elaborate more.

2. The typefaces: I think the primary typeface, although I understand why you chose it, is too difficult to read. Also, I'm not sure Kabel is the right choice. I also don't think the St. Pete in the logo needs all those outlines.

3. The numbers. Even if you don't change fonts, Kabel would work better for the numbers IMO.

4. The colors. I know you were going for the ratio actually seen in parrots, but IMO there are simply too many colors. I mean, you have navy, light blue, green, orange, and yellow, in addition to white. 6 colors is a lot to juggle, even for a good designer like you. I would simplify it. Maybe just navy, kelly, and one of the yellow/orange duo (and white, of course).

Overall, there are some nice things going on, and I'm not trying to bash your work, but this one could be improved.

As for the concepts made so far, they are really nice. I especially like the Winston-Salem one.

Well you could, but you'd be arrested. I'm 17. Thanks for the thought though.

http://i.imgur.com/4ahMZxD.png

koizim said:
And...and ya know what we gotta do? We gotta go kick him in da penis. He'll be injured. Injured bad.

COYS and Go Sox

Ok, then. I'll buy you a juice instead. :P

Ok, then. I'll buy you a juice instead. :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6TUhx2wX0M&feature=fvw

While I love most of your work, and that includes everything earlier in this series, you dropped the ball on the Parrots IMO. It isn't bad work at all, just not what I would have liked to see. As some have said, the Parrot head ending awkwardly is the main problem, along with the font choices. It just kind of seems jumbled and busy right now. The circus colors don't help calm down the eye either. KISS, keep it simple, son(you probably aren't stupid). Narrow down the color choices and don't use so many outlines. I'd stay away from overly "stylized" fonts like the 'Parrots' one. In real life they would need to be updated every couple years because they look corny after a while. A random idea that might look bad, but I will offer it up anyway; How about trying to make jersey stripes in the style of the marks coming off the beak on the parrot? The swooping outer lines with 2 sort-of-dashed-swooping lines in the middle of those. I like the creativity and craftsmanship, but this concept alone missed the mark for me. All the rest are golden. I'd like to see this one reworked.

Archived