Minor League Hockey Defunct Redesign

dgnmrwrw

I think you are really challenging yourself here and thinking outsid the box on this one which is something to be admired. I do think it looks more like a bottle of rum than a sports team but for minor league sports this would definitely stand out and is memorable. the head alone I like a lot, but the rest seems busy. That's what kind of sucks when doing minor league sports teams is that the name is a must as most NHL teams do not have the team name anywhere in the logo which I think is cool. Im not really a fan of the wings coming out of the shieldon the one alternative. the wings look awesome on the silhouette parrot though with the stick (which is my favorite in this set since the parrot seems badass but still a parrot).

one more thing. the black outline on ST. PETE has slivers of gaps between some of the letters. I know that is the way the program outlines them but those kind of things always bother me and it would look nicer if they were gone. I always think that if its so close to touching that it might as well touch and not have a gap since the eye doesnt know the difference but a gap is noticeable.

Still a nice overall concept and I think has a chance with a few changes to be good. I really have no idea how you are pumping all these logo sets out so fast. that alone is impressive.

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks to all for the feedback. That one obviously had some issues, so I'm working right now to rectify them.

Love the ThoroughBlades, just great. However, I'm not too fond of the Parrots. The issues I have with it are as follows:

1. I don't care for the way the parrot head terminates. It just seems weird. I wish I could elaborate more.

2. The typefaces: I think the primary typeface, although I understand why you chose it, is too difficult to read. Also, I'm not sure Kabel is the right choice. I also don't think the St. Pete in the logo needs all those outlines.

3. The numbers. Even if you don't change fonts, Kabel would work better for the numbers IMO.

4. The colors. I know you were going for the ratio actually seen in parrots, but IMO there are simply too many colors. I mean, you have navy, light blue, green, orange, and yellow, in addition to white. 6 colors is a lot to juggle, even for a good designer like you. I would simplify it. Maybe just navy, kelly, and one of the yellow/orange duo (and white, of course).

Overall, there are some nice things going on, and I'm not trying to bash your work, but this one could be improved.

Actually, I really like the way the parrot head terminates; that little flourish is one of my favorite parts about the logo. Unfortunately, I probably didn't integrate a similar style into the rest of the package, so it looks out of place.

The type was frustrating. I really liked some of the characters from that face, but some didn't work too well (such as the E, which was the reason for including the more legible Kabel). But it obviously wasn't working well, so I've scrapped all the old type.

I see what you mean about the colors on the primary. That would of course be too many colors, which is why the unis only used navy, light blue, and yellow (except for the alternate; I'm ok with an alternate uniform including additional colors). But I'll try to give the primary logo the same treatment and clean it up.

Other people mentioned similar things in their posts, so I thought it would be easier to respond to bohob's, because he included them all. Like I said, I'm doing an update now, so it will (hopefully) be posted soon.

HURRICANES | PANTHERS | WHITE SOX | WOLFPACK

i actually liked the tropical feel the palm trees on the top added. i thought it was clever. but maybe you were trying to reduce colors ( although there is still green in only on spot on the entire logo now on the parrot's head). others said the excessive colors are a problem and maybe they are, but if any team can get away with it, it is a team called parrots or toucans (sp??) i like the overall shape of the logo although miss the palm trees as i said. the only thing for me is this... to me cutting off animals heads in logos when they are isolated looks good because it has to be done if there is no body, like the way this twiels off when the parrot head is by itself. but when they are placed with other objects and behind things it is strange. he looks like a genie emerging from the ST PETE word the way he gets thinner and thinner. if you were to lower his whole head so it was cut off at a pt where the neck still looks normal I think this is a winner and all that is needed. and i dont mind the green black orange blue combo really. its not like this is being duplicated for a real team so who cares about embroidering issues and things like that

First off, we can just agree to disagree on the termination of the head, but jaha makes a good point. Other than that, I think there needs to be much more green to establish a more tropical look, and I would find a new secondary font to complement the main font. The current font is too detailed for the St. Pete in the logo and the nameplates. It's improving.

wow, maybe I'm easily impressed but I have to say that this looks very good. My comments are that the green could stand to be used a little bit more. You might also make the green a tad lighter, because that green says "I'm a parrot who was kidnapped and taken to Minnesota" rather than "I'm a happy fun loving parrot who is kicking butt and taking names in Florida"

i actually liked the tropical feel the palm trees on the top added. i thought it was clever. but maybe you were trying to reduce colors ( although there is still green in only on spot on the entire logo now on the parrot's head). others said the excessive colors are a problem and maybe they are, but if any team can get away with it, it is a team called parrots or toucans (sp??) i like the overall shape of the logo although miss the palm trees as i said. the only thing for me is this... to me cutting off animals heads in logos when they are isolated looks good because it has to be done if there is no body, like the way this twiels off when the parrot head is by itself. but when they are placed with other objects and behind things it is strange. he looks like a genie emerging from the ST PETE word the way he gets thinner and thinner. if you were to lower his whole head so it was cut off at a pt where the neck still looks normal I think this is a winner and all that is needed. and i dont mind the green black orange blue combo really. its not like this is being duplicated for a real team so who cares about embroidering issues and things like that

I too liked the palm tree top, but the number of colors seemed to be an issue, so I worked most of the green out of the logo. However, I may go back and get the palm in there somehow. The parrot head's interaction with the rest of the logo is problematic. If I lower it much more, the beak will begin to be truncated. I actually thought that raising it up like I did in the last update (and having it breach the top of the circle) would make it clear that 1) it wasn't part of the scene behind it; and 2) it did taper and end behind the type. But I'll keep working at it to see if I can find a better solution.

4. The colors. I know you were going for the ratio actually seen in parrots, but IMO there are simply too many colors. I mean, you have navy, light blue, green, orange, and yellow, in addition to white. 6 colors is a lot to juggle, even for a good designer like you. I would simplify it. Maybe just navy, kelly, and one of the yellow/orange duo (and white, of course).

I think there needs to be much more green to establish a more tropical look...

Call me crazy, but I'm having trouble rectifying these two comments. Are you suggesting adding more green to the logo or to the uniforms? Or to both? And what happened to wanting only navy, light blue, and yellow?

I think I've been consistent. Personally, I think this needs more green in the logo and uniforms. I never said it should only be navy light blue and yellow, I said kelly. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

I think I've been consistent. Personally, I think this needs more green in the logo and uniforms. I never said it should only be navy light blue and yellow, I said kelly. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

A thousand apologies, my good sir. I misread your original post and was confused. Now that I'm cleared up, I do plan on adding a bit more green to the primary logo (because I think it needs it for balance and to draw the whole package together), but I don't want to have any in the primary uniforms. I'm not going to overhaul the colors and replace the light blue with green; I really like the way the blue, yellow, and navy work together, and that's where I've always wanted the focus. A final update will be posted soon. Hopefully.

#11: Worcester IceCats // Worcester, MA

Logo.png

As requested. Fairly generic name, but the IceCats' identity always kept a consistent style of cat and consistent colors. I actually liked both of these, so I kept their general look intact. I did an updated, more modern, and fiercer cat logo, and I tweaked the colors: Dark steel blue and light blue, with some silver, and with some touches of gray in the logos.

The uniforms have a lot of elements, but I think they fit the style I used in the logos and work well for a minor league team. Basically, the striping remains identical on the home and road uniforms, but the color of the jersey (or socks) changes, which creates slightly different patterns on each uniform. For example, the (dark blue) shoulder yoke is invisible on the (dark blue) home jersey, but shows up on the white jersey. The crest logo is taken from the primary: the head of an IceCat in profile, set inside a shield. On the shoulders, there is a patch of the IceCat's paw and slashmarks. I wasn't sure about the slashmarks on the side panels, but in the end I liked them enough to keep them.

I wanted a much cleaner, more traditional look for the alternate uniform, while still keeping it as part of one visual identity. So I went with a light blue jersey, kept the shoulder yoke, and added four straight stripes on the sleeves and socks to match the shoulder patch and the slashmarks from the home and away unis. For the crest, I set the full-bodied IceCat inside a shield, and topped that with the "Worcester" wordmark. The logo and back numbers sit atop a chest stripe.

Uni-Home.png

Uni-Road.png

Uni-Alt.png

The cat looks good except for one thing- he looks like he's smiling. Everything else isaggressive, and then there's a hint of a smile.

CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.pngHamilton Eagles- 2012 and 2013 Continental Hockey League Champions! CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.png

2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 CHL East Division Champions!

Niagara Dragoons- 2012 United League and CCSLC World Series Champions!
2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 UL Robinson Division Champions!

Archived