dgnmrwrw

Minor League Hockey Defunct Redesign

Wow nice job once again. Great colors also. Idk if it's just me, but the cat in the primary looks like it makes the font part of the logo have more depth than it actually has (Cat has more depth than font). Not a big deal though

i agree with C Jay Z about the depth. I noticed it right after i posted the first time but it seemed minor but something that could be fixed if you wanted but I would feel its up to your creative freedom since it doesnt really bother me here. another thing (and this isnt something that is necssarily wrong but just an observation) is that the ICECATS letters arent sloped at all just smaller sizes towards the middle, your macon whoopee logo was the same. is that just something you like to do because I see the word WORCESTER is arched on a slope. as far as the smiling cat thing mentioned before. i like the slight smile. its like a evil mischievous (sp?) smile which i find unique rather than your typical snarl.

The IceCats concept is definitely my favorite so far. Scratch (who was the IceCats mascot) has a new and improved image. I really like that. If there were actual merchandise with this logo and stuff, I'd buy it all in a heartbeat!

awsome work man. what i like about this series is you took teams that generally had really bad logos and created some beautiful works of art with them. if i still had the time and patience to edit my Eastside Hockey Manager, i would be saving these logos and editing the program to include these defunct teams. (for the record it would be for personal use not online)

would be pretty neat to have a old ECHL, CHL teams in one conference and old AHL/IHL teams in another.

Thanks to all for the feedback.

The cat looks good except for one thing- he looks like he's smiling. Everything else isaggressive, and then there's a hint of a smile.

I definitely wanted a hint of a smile. If you look at the IceCats' two primary logos, they both use a smiling cat, so I absolutely wanted to include a slight sly smile in my logo.

i agree with C Jay Z about the depth. I noticed it right after i posted the first time but it seemed minor but something that could be fixed if you wanted but I would feel its up to your creative freedom since it doesnt really bother me here. another thing (and this isnt something that is necssarily wrong but just an observation) is that the ICECATS letters arent sloped at all just smaller sizes towards the middle, your macon whoopee logo was the same. is that just something you like to do because I see the word WORCESTER is arched on a slope. as far as the smiling cat thing mentioned before. i like the slight smile. its like a evil mischievous (sp?) smile which i find unique rather than your typical snarl.

I know what you mean about the depth. It has to do with the amount of detail I wanted in the face balanced against the amount of detail in the body. I thought about tweaking the body highlights to match the head, but that made the Cat appear to have horizontal stripes. It probably isn't working as well as it could, so I'll definitely go back and see if I can't make the head and body match more.

As far as the type goes, all of the letters (both the ICECATS and the WORCESTER) are sloped (in Illustrator terms: bulged negatively) inward. That entire section of the type and the dark blue section behind it are warped as one unit. It does cause the WORCESTER to appear more affected, but that's only because it's at the extreme bottom of the shape. If you look closely, you'll see that each letter is warped the same way.

The IceCats logo in beautiful, my only gripe is the area at the neck and the shoulders, and you've already said you're working on that. Keep up the great work, I look forward to each update.

My first comment here, but let me just say I've been blown away by both this projects and your NHL redesign. Seeing concepts this good makes me want to get better at it even though I'm not a graphic designer, I'm sure others would echo that.

I remember you saying you were truly going for consistency in both projects, and I hear that. One minor minor gripe is that on the ice, I'm not sure how well the four slash marks would show up on the white jersey. I know the stripes are grey for consistency, but did you give any thought to either maing the stripes on the road navy, or placing them on a navy side-panel that, much like the yoke, would be visible on the whites but "hidden" on the homes? Just curious - I love these concepts.

#12: Philadelphia Phantoms // Philadelphia, PA

Logo.png

It's been a while, but I've finally finished a new team. I'm sort of bending the "defunct" rule here, since the Phantoms still exist elsewhere, but I had been working on this for a while, and I really wanted to put it out there. I loved the black/purple/orange color combination, so that stays. (Again, the colors--especially orange--have become washed out in the transition from Illustrator to png.) I wanted to do a fuller phantom logo, showing more than just the eyes, so that's what I've produced here. I needed some sort of emblem on his cape to break up all the purple. I tried a "P," but it didn't fit well. I looked into using an alchemy symbol for "aether" since a phantom would be a ghostly, "ethereal" creature, but I couldn't find a consensus on what would be the correct symbol, and none of the possibilities were all that interesting. So I ended up using a seven-pointed star. I like that it matches the sharp angles of the type, and it still maintains a mystical feel.

For the home and away uniforms, the crest is the phantom set inside a black triangle. In the striping, I wanted sweeping curves of purple with thin outlines of orange and black to match some of the elements in the crest. On the shoulders, there's a patch consisting of the seven-pointed star with an inset "P." On the bottom of the back, I've placed the "Phantoms" wordmark.

The natural choice for an alternate jersey was purple. For the crest, I wanted a logo more reminiscent of the old (current) Phantoms' logo. So I made a face-on view of the eyes and hood, with the wordmark set above and the P-star set below. On the shoulder, there's a full-bodied phantom patch. The striping is thin and more traditional.

Uni-Home.png

Uni-Road.png

Uni-Alt.png

Very nice job! I'm not crazy about the seven pointed star, but it doesn't look bad. I don't think the crest on the 3rd needs the seven pointed star/p logo in it, it's strong enough as is. Still, the phantom is great, and you've created a great identity again.

Very nice but I'm not really liking the third. Too plain, with thin stripes and everything. Also something about the logo on the third, can't really place it.

Thanks to the people who commented on the Philly concept. But really? Three brief responses? Has the interest in this series that low? If so, I'll drop it and look at doing other things, though I'm still having fun with it.

Sorry for the lack of comments lately, but here are some of my thoughts:

-The bottom of the wordmark is too jagged. I would pick and choose which descenders you pull out, and keep most of them consistent with the baseline. I would also watch them on the numerals.

-I like the color distribution, and the rendering of the phantom.

- I'm not sure how I feel about the way the phantom terminates in the full-body shoulder logo. You may want to revisit that.

I hope that helps.

Sorry for not commenting, I look at this thread all the time, it's one of my favorites, just never comment. All of them have been fantastic though.

For Philly, I really like it. The colors are unique. Really like the wordmark with the jagged edges, although I think you should drop the two-tone. Phantom himself looks awesome, great rendering. Very badass. Only suggestion is to MAYBE add legs on the full-bodied version, though not sure how that'd look. Great work.

I like the Phantoms logo for the most part, but on the jerseys it appears just a little too small, and I think you need to find a different idea for the back of the cape. The star just seems very out of place. Even black shadowy creases would be better, I think.

Purple pants may also be worth considering, just to break up all the black.

I may be missing something, but is there a reason why the star has 7 points?

I was kind of wondering the same thing. Awesome stuff though

Sorry I saw it but was too lazy to write C&C. Here's what I think, the jerseys are superb. You may want to thing about the purple pants option, but I'm not sure if that light color of purple would look good on pants. As far as the logos go, I'm a fan of the primary crest, however I think it would work better as a third jersey crest. I think a revamped version of what they have is the way to go. Like your current alternate crest, but without the triangle, so you can see the wing like things.

#13: Tallahassee Tiger Sharks // Tallahassee, FL

Logo.png

I've had this one finished for probably a month. Not really sure why I haven't posted it until now. Everything is pretty self-explanatory here. Love the nickname, and the black/red/silver colors, though I did change the black to a dark charcoal gray. Here's a large version of the shark crest. There's a tiger shark tooth logo patch on the shoulders. I had done a tooth logo that actually looked like a T, but the tiger shark has such a distinctive tooth shape that I wanted to stay true to it.

The uniforms are fairly clean, with classic striping on the arms that I reinterpreted onto the side panels. Lots nice sharp angles. For the alternate, red was an obvious choice. I went with a blood-in-the-water theme for the crest and the uniforms. The crest did turn out to have a bit more resemblance to the SJ Sharks' logo than I would have liked, but I'm still happy with it as an alternate crest: It's a tiger shark fin cutting through bloody water, set inside a triangle. On the shoulders, there's a circular patch with text, and teeth marks cutting into the sides.

Uni-Home.png

Uni-Road.png

Uni-Alt.png

Love the tiger sharks. Just a couple things I noticed, I think on the the third the arm stripes should just be the one solid stripe so that it is consistent across the chest and arms when they're down at the side, so the two small stripes should drop similar to on the main body. Also on the back numbers they should be adjusted I think so that the top bar of the 5 doesn't slightly cut into the stripe, it should be moved up to be a bit over the stripe, this would be the same with other numbers obviously. I just find it strange that it takes a small chunk out without quite being all the way on. Still great work, keep it up.