Trumbull Golden Eagles.

rentz

Hello.

I can't stand my school's sports logos. The entire identity is a combination platter of stolen color-swapped Philadelphia and Boston College Eagles logos. It's just such a shame to me that high schools will forgo actually establishing a recognizable brand for illegally using copyrighted logos. So I've decided to make a brand for Trumbull High School, of which I am currently a junior.

I've actually tried making a logo for them before... the very first attempt was one of the first logos I'd ever made, and the first I posted on this site. I suppose it was pretty good for a first try but as I look at it now it just doesn't look very good at all. Shading, line weights, everything is just kind of amateurish. So I'm giving it another go, now with 8 months of design experience and a working knowledge of inkscape...

The primary logo and wordmark.

thseagles-1.png

And a monogram.

thseagles2.png

All C+C is welcome, and I also intend to design uniforms.

Also, a question to those who may have experience-- if I were to approach the school about using my logo (even for free--I don't really care about being paid) what are the chances they would? I would think they would be willing to use it, as the school has close to zero school spirit to begin with and maybe this could help, as well as it would obviously free them from illegally using logos.

That eagle head is sweet. Great job on that. The THS is nice, overall the whole set is well designed.

As for approaching your school, I'd think they would do it. I have no experience with that, but I think they may go for it. You could maybe even try to get them to pay you, just as a reward or something. And you have nothing to lose, if they say no, you can just let them have it for free. Kinda defeats the purpose of trying to get paid, but I see where your coming from. It would be cooler to see your school using your logos for free, than not at all. Anyways, great job on this.

Thanks for the comments guys.

I've updated the logos some. I've been tweaking the Eagle head for a while now... it's still pretty close to version one but it's an update nonetheless.

thseagles3.png

More significantly updated is the monogram... this is the first time I've tried this bevel-shadow technique and I think it's a bit off, so if you have any hints please let me know!

thseagles1.png

And finally, the uniforms. I've tried to make these pretty understated which is the opposite of the current monstrosities the team wears. Here's a look at our current set:

137761.jpg

Yeah they're pretty bad.

I tried to go with a simple, iconic look-- black and gold is such a strong color scheme that the uniforms don't need to be too ostentacious. The one thing I do like about the look right now is the pants, with the thick black stripe. I've kept that, with a bit of piping to keep consistency with the uniforms. I wasn't sure whether to add TV numbers; I believe in high school it isn't mandated that you need them so I left them out. Also, pants are interchangeable. This is mostly just a creative exercise for me; the uniforms were rather expensive and are unlikely to be changed soon.

eaglesunis-1.png

All C+C is appreciated.

Eagle head is very well done. The only part that bothers me is his bottom beak, and how it's gold. I think it should be a different color, at least separate from the face. I'm not a fan of the THS logo really, just isn't as good as the primary. Uniforms are solid. I'd encourage you to approach the school definitely.

spacer.png

erikas | go birds | dribbble 

that eagle is boss dude...awesome job. jerseys are nice too. for high school i like when teams have the larger wordmarks below the collar, but thats all i can nitpick on here. A+

kCkLFSX.pngWGUTHKC.pngnbweR1j.png

ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ

Thanks for the comments guys.

I've updated the logos some. I've been tweaking the Eagle head for a while now... it's still pretty close to version one but it's an update nonetheless.

thseagles3.png

More significantly updated is the monogram... this is the first time I've tried this bevel-shadow technique and I think it's a bit off, so if you have any hints please let me know!

thseagles1.png

All C+C is appreciated.

Okay first off, tremendous job on this! It's a strong clean and bold mark which you should be proud of. Couple of little things to look at though, two lines seem to have gotten badly out of step at one point on the back of the eagles head. The gold in set path seems to have been adjusted (behind the shading under the beak) and you now have an almost horizontal line in there and it's not flowing with anything, personally I'd move the corner point that creates the > back out to the left so the gold has a more natural inset and hopefully that will help solve it. Hope that makes some kind of sense.

Secondly I'm curious as to where the serifs on the H come from in the monogram when all the other letters you have used are san serif? I know why you added them, it made the H easier to link to the T and it was a good spot but it only really works if all the type is serif, I dont think you should mix and match like that. Keep it consistent, personally I'd look to add serifs to the whole lot I find logotypes done is sans fonts can be a bit plain but that's just personal taste.

Excellent job on this and I wish you every success with having it adopted by your school. Keep us posted on how it goes.

9erssteve

9ersstevesig.png

Wow - I never thought I'd see my high school on here! I love this redesign, so much better than what THS currently has.

The one thing is that I'd keep the current helmet with the T. That's been the one stable element of the football uniforms throughout all the redesigns, and it's become very identifiable amongst FCIAC teams with Trumbull. Other than that, though, this is perfect. I'd definitely show it to the powers that be - not that I'd ever trust them to do something smart after 4 years of dealing with them. ;)

(BTW, THS did have its own eagle logo until the late-90's or so. I came into THS as a freshman in 2003 so they had already switched it by then, but it was so much better than the rip-off Philly logo. It's time they go back to something original, IMO.)

1923 1927 1928 1932 1936 1937 1938 1939 1941 1943 1947 1949 1950 1951 1952 1953 1956 1958 1961 1962 1977 1978 1996 1998 1999 2000 2009

Great logo (the eagle). The wordmark and the THS monogram are very sub-par, though. Either start over with those or try something different, like an update to the block T that the team currently sports. Personally, I've never been a fan of the 'staircase' monograms in general, but there are a few nice ones (check out Central Florida's UCF monogram on their helmets). I'd probably just go with a new block T. Maybe add a bevel or something. The wordmark has no flow. The little notches break up the rhythm of the word.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Archived