NFL Third Jerseys

rebelx

The NFL third jersey "program" seems to be kind of out of whack, and I'm sure many of you have noticed. A few things I always wonder about.

1) Why do some teams that have third jerseys insist on not wearing them certain years, but then bring them back later (the Broncos oranges spring to mind)? Seems to kind of defeat the purpose of even having a third. If I had my druthers about this, all teams with thirds would wear them at least once a season, if not twice.

2) Since many teams put their thirds "on hold", it's sometimes hard to tell whether they've gotten rid of them or not, and there's not always a solid official announcement about that kind of thing (glad the Giants cleared up that they were getting rid of the reds, but do the Dolphins still really use the "coral" jerseys, or do the Patriots still use the silvers? Do Philly or Baltimore still use their blacks?). Granted, it only really matters to uniform nuts like us, but I'm just saying, it would be nice to know for certain ^_^ .

3) I don't understand why a few more teams don't use thirds. I can sorta understand the reasoning of teams whose only options would be a gold alt (remember those NO alts from '02? :wacko: ), but why, for instance, don't the Bucs actually use that black fashion jersey they've had for years (that thing looks badass!), or why don't the Packers, Skins, and Chiefs use yellows (they work in college, why not in the NFL?)?

Is there something about NFL uniform lore in particular that doesn't easily lend itself to the concept of third jerseys? I'd like to hear people's thoughts on all of this.

The NFL third jersey "program" seems to be kind of out of whack, and I'm sure many of you have noticed. A few things I always wonder about.

1) Why do some teams that have third jerseys insist on not wearing them certain years, but then bring them back later (the Broncos oranges spring to mind)? Seems to kind of defeat the purpose of even having a third. If I had my druthers about this, all teams with thirds would wear them at least once a season, if not twice.

2) Since many teams put their thirds "on hold", it's sometimes hard to tell whether they've gotten rid of them or not, and there's not always a solid official announcement about that kind of thing (glad the Giants cleared up that they were getting rid of the reds, but do the Dolphins still really use the "coral" jerseys, or do the Patriots still use the silvers? Do Philly or Baltimore still use their blacks?). Granted, it only really matters to uniform nuts like us, but I'm just saying, it would be nice to know for certain ^_^ .

3) I don't understand why a few more teams don't use thirds. I can sorta understand the reasoning of teams whose only options would be a gold alt (remember those NO alts from '02? :wacko: ), but why, for instance, don't the Bucs actually use that black fashion jersey they've had for years (that thing looks badass!), or why don't the Packers, Skins, and Chiefs use yellows (they work in college, why not in the NFL?)?

Is there something about NFL uniform lore in particular that doesn't easily lend itself to the concept of third jerseys? I'd like to hear people's thoughts on all of this.

1 - Money. People buy them in the initial rush, then they don't sell, so they come off the market.

2 - If they aren't scheduled to wear them, they don't exist.

3 - No, yellow jerseys DON'T work in college, and the Bucs black looks BAD or like @$$, not badass.

It's where I sit.

The only thing that's out of whack is that there even are "third" jerseys in the NFL. NFL teams only play 16 games per year, only 8 at home, and they never play more than once per week. So there's absolutely no need for an alt jersey, as there might be for teams that play either multiple games per day or that stay on the road for many days at a time to play a few games. Also, football has a stronger tradition of fans wearing one color than any other American sport, so selling third jerseys actually undermines the uniformity of fan uni-wearing. A stadium where darn near every fan is wearing one color is an impressive display of fan commitment. A stadium that looks like static because the fans are wearing three different colors is just kind of sad.

20082614447.png

Actually, I'd argue that when the fans do wear all the same color, it looks static. Color-outs usually end up looking like a bunch of empty seats, except for white-outs.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

on issue 3, the Saints looked damn nice in gold. The Packers would need to have white pants available before they thought about wearing gold jerseys. Cus honestly, I don't see all gold going too well if it ever happens, and green pants would just look wrong.

and I recall the Bucs floating around the idea of pewter thirds several years back, which I would've liked to see on the field.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

1 - Money. People buy them in the initial rush, then they don't sell, so they come off the market.

Why couldn't they just pull these jerseys from the market, but still make them just for the players? There's nothing stopping them from doing that, is there? It doesn't have to be an all-or-none deal.

Sure it does.

The only reason to have 3rd jerseys is to move more product.

Why not just do it to add to the team's legacy and identity? Sports already isn't a traditional business; as an owner, why not take advantage of that fact? I'm not proposing releasing third jerseys and not attempting to sell them, but I am saying that if one doesn't sell well, just make it a players-only thing (pants are, so why not a jersey?). Or is the implication there, from an owner's point of view, that if fans don't like them for themselves, they don't like seeing the players wearing them either?

Now, changing gears a bit, if you're the Bucs, you already produce black fashion jerseys, so why not actually try them on the field? Pewter thirds don't seem like such a great idea, and they'd be wretched looking if actually paired with the pewter pants rather than the white ones. What about GB and their yellows? I agree with you though, Discrimihater, in that all-yellow would look terrible, so they'd need a new set of pants, and white wouldn't be a bad choice. With green pants, they might start to resemble that Oregon Ducks set, and I kind of dug that look, although it may have worked, in part, because Oregon uses green helmets.

it almost varies from team to team. with teams like the Colts or Packers, i dont think they would ever wear a 3rd jersey because its just not part of their classic identity. other teams like the Texans and ravens use theri alternates for special occasions (divions games, primetime games, etc). the others are a bit of a mystery. i guess you have to do away with a alternate if you wear a throw back? so that might come into play.

i agree id like to see most teams wear an alternate twice a year, but it dosnt fit into most teams package

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

Actually, I'd argue that when the fans do wear all the same color, it looks static. Color-outs usually end up looking like a bunch of empty seats, except for white-outs.

you dont like "color outs"? i think its really cool to see a sea of one color

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

agreed. white-outs are the only way to go...i loved the "White-Hot" American Airlines Arena of 2006.

OT: i think i agree with brandon that its nice to see with teams who like to experiment with their brand, but some teams will never wear thirds due to the historical assemblage they have amassed, which I'm fine with.

you dont like "color outs"? i think its really cool to see a sea of one color

No, I don't like color outs.

1. I think it's gimmicky and contrived.

2. I think it looks like the arena is empty. A lot of stadia / arenas have seats that are the color of the team that plays there, so the color out just makes it look like a lot of empty seats. Even if the arena doesn't have team-colored seats, it looks like they do when everyone is wearing the team color - especially when it's dark.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I don't even like to see the spectators in NBA games. This is something Staples Center and Madison Square Garden do very well: they dim the house lights way down so that all the attention is on the court.

05knicks.1.600.jpglakers30mza_400.jpg

What are the fans wearing? It doesn't matter. The game matters.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Sure it does.

The only reason to have 3rd jerseys is to move more product.

Why not just do it to add to the team's legacy and identity? Sports already isn't a traditional business; as an owner, why not take advantage of that fact? I'm not proposing releasing third jerseys and not attempting to sell them, but I am saying that if one doesn't sell well, just make it a players-only thing (pants are, so why not a jersey?). Or is the implication there, from an owner's point of view, that if fans don't like them for themselves, they don't like seeing the players wearing them either?

Now, changing gears a bit, if you're the Bucs, you already produce black fashion jerseys, so why not actually try them on the field? Pewter thirds don't seem like such a great idea, and they'd be wretched looking if actually paired with the pewter pants rather than the white ones. What about GB and their yellows? I agree with you though, Discrimihater, in that all-yellow would look terrible, so they'd need a new set of pants, and white wouldn't be a bad choice. With green pants, they might start to resemble that Oregon Ducks set, and I kind of dug that look, although it may have worked, in part, because Oregon uses green helmets.

The problem is that fans want stuff. So if the team don't release an official version of it, sure as hell some cowboy will make a dodgy replica of something similar, but far enough away not to break trademarks etc, and that fans will buy it.

And remember that the NFL mandates only 1 alternate per year (I assume the AFL legacy teams have a ispensation to have home and away legacy unis??) Personally I would prefer the NFL not have alternates at all, save for the odd throwback maybe (Petrsonally I would prefer all NFL teams have 1 home and 1 road identity and not mess about with pants either). I don't think its necessary in a 16 game schedule to have an alternate. But to put a limit on it, if your going to do it, seems sensible to me.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

I don't even like to see the spectators in NBA games. This is something Staples Center and Madison Square Garden do very well: they dim the house lights way down so that all the attention is on the court.

What are the fans wearing? It doesn't matter. The game matters.

You can do this indoors in arenas with opaque ceilings. It's really not an option in open-air stadia, nor in roofed facilities with clear or translucent ceilings, like the Metrodome or whatever the new stadium in Dallas is called. It also helps if you have a sport where the action is continuous, so fans tend to stay in their seats during a period of play (true of hockey and basketball, or at least basketball prior to the final two minutes, which is often the most boring 120 seconds in all of sports, but fans tend to stay in their seats anyway), whereas football has long periods of inaction during the period of play, so fans need enough light to see as they move around. As do the stadium vendors.

My problem with football third jerseys is precisely the fact that they tend to be worn for big games or for national TV appearances. A third jersey would only make sense for a team that plays a scant 8 games a season at home if used to liven up games against non-rival teams or non-prime-time games. But in a big game, or on national TV, any team should want to look its best. And if your "best" is your third jersey, then your third jersey ought to be your regular jersey, because with only 8 games in front of your most loyal fans, a team should look its best for every game. I just can't convince myself that Vince Lombardi or Bud Grant would approve of a team preparing for a big game by wearing its second-best uniform.

20082614447.png

I'd prefer NFL teams to wear throwbacks twice a year and get rid of the alts altogether, although I do like some of them (Panthers, esp.)

What I don't like is the proflieration of alternate or even 'third' pants. The Texans, Titans, Seahawks, and Rams all have THREE sets of pants, and about six teams have 'alternate' pants that they seldom wear at all.

Maybe alts once a year, throwbacks once a year, and that's it.

NorthernColFightingWhites4.GIF

The Buccaneers would look great in black! do it for a night game. really adds to an already intimidating uniform set.

Only other team i think could use an alternate is an orange browns jersey, orange fins jersey, a red bills jersey (thoo...they need new uniforms), a red patriots jersey, black jaguars jersey (add one to the new set), ... thats it. my preference would look like this...

teams that can use alternate jerseys

falcons-black

bucs-black

panthers-blue

seahawks-green (but diff approach next time please?)

bears-orange (tough call...but...yeah, orange for the bears)

patriots- red

bills-red (again, with a new uniform though)

fins- orange

browns- orange

ravens-black

jags- black

titans- dark blue

texans-red (JERSEYS ONLY! GAWSH)

teams that need to trash alternates

Eagles! black is stupid.

Archived