Question about Astros' sets from '70's and '80's

rebelx

Has anyone ever noticed that there seem to be a dearth of pics on the web of the road unis from the Astros two pseudo-rainbow era uniform sets? I tried looking for pics of guys who played in this era, like Ryan and Biggio, but only found ones of them wearing the home whites or navy alts. What's the deal here? I'd like to see pics of those road uniforms, because they last used those colors when I was 12 years old, and I can't remember for the life of me what they looked like anymore. Yeah, they might not be so markedly different from the whites, but I'd still like to see them. :grin:

IIRC the Astros tended to wear the same uniform home and away for most of the Rainbow Guts era. Which makes some sense because seriously, who were they gonna be mistaken for?

Though after they moved the rainbow to the sleeves, they wore light gray roads early on, and then cream roads.

*small note: the aforementioned navy "alts" were BP jerseys. heh, there used to be some damn good BP jerseys: mid 90s Mets road, 94-96 Cubs, early and mid 90s Brewers, Marlins, 80s Angels, 80s-early 90s Cards, late 90s Giants, 90s Rangers...and I can't forget the 90s Expos, best BPs ever.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

I thought the creams came before the light grays, no? I seem to remember the 'Stros not hopping onto the gray road bandwagon (lulz) until just before the Navy/Gold (still their best look) redesign.

Of course, I could be, and am usually, wrong. I'm old, the memory is the first thing to go.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

They wore a road grey for a little time in the mid 80's. I have a retail authentic version of that jersey. Here is a photo of all three color jerseys. The top is the road grey, middle is the white, and the bottom is the cream jersey. Really hard to distinguish the cream and the grey. In the right light you probably could not tell them apart in a photo.

PICT2146.jpg

I have spent a lot of time researching this subject...and, have had numerous discussions with an MLB expert as well on this. Here are the various color sets for the Astros during the "rainbow" era:

HoustonAstros_FRC_1979_SOL_SRGB.png

HoustonAstros_FRC_1982_SOL_SRGB.png

HoustonAstros_FRC_1988_SOL_SRGB.png

HoustonAstros_FRC_1993_SOL_SRGB.png

The "Light Alamo Gray" color swatch is an estimate, but it's pretty close. All of the other colors swatches are based on official style guide information.

EDIT: I made changes to take out the road Grays for 1975 through 1979, and lightened up my "Light Alamo Gray" swatch color estimate.

According to Henderson's latest & greatest, the Astros wore the Tequila Sunrise jerseys exclusively, home and away, from 1975 to 1979. That jersey stuck around when they added a grey rainbow sleeved pullover in 1980, which lasted to 1983. In 1984, the greys became off-white or cream or whatever non-grey or non-white shade you want to call it, and they were worn on the road until the uniform set changed in 1994 to the navy & gold. They added the white rainbow sleeved pullover as a home jersey in 1981 and it stuck around until the color change as well.

Keep in mind, the pull-overs became button-ups in 1989.

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

The Colt .45s/Astros wore gray uniforms with HOUSTON on the tops from 1962-74. In '71, the lettering (along with the caps) was changed from navy to orange. All that's been documented on the rainbow era in this thread are correct. The navy cap came back as a road cap when the rainbow sleeves were introduced in 1980. The hats when back to navy at home in 1984, IIRC.

To my knowledge as a diehard Astros fan, the Astros never wore the navy BP jerseys in a regular-season or playoff game. Like a lot of baseball cards of other players from other teams in that era, there are plenty of cards with players in the navy BP jerseys

The Astros didn't go back to a road gray uniform with HOUSTON on it until 1994, when the orange was dropped and gold was added to the navy.

Archived