Jaguars considering playing some games in Orlando

B-Rich

Living in Orlando i can tell you this...

The city has already approved renovations to the Citrus Bowl(awful out-dated facility), which is scheduled to begin by 2013(was supposed to be 2012). So if Mr. Weaver wants to go ahead and attempt this scenario of playing a handful of home games here in Orlando, I believe it would only be a matter of time(when the stadium is fully renovated) that they permanetly move to Orlando. CBS carries AFC games so when it comes to blackouts i'm sure they could work something out where FOX which carries NFC games could still go on thier way doing so with the Bucs in the Orlando area. The NFL has already told the City of Orlando that if they renovate the Citrus Bowl to NFL standards, Orlando would potentially become a Pro Bowl or Super Bowl-revolving site. I'm all for this potential relocation...Go Florida Jaguars!!!

alkaline-trio_logo-with-heart.jpg

• Replies 409
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, because St. Louis is not in Alabama.

LoL!!

As for the Rams, I'd rather them stay put in St. Louis if they don't move to Los Angeles.

San Antonio Rams?

Toronto Rams?

Birmingham Rams?

Utah Rams? (Say, that doesn't sound too bad. :P Unfortunately, I don't see it happening.)

London Rams? :shocked:

It would be cool to see things come full circle with the Rams-to-Los-Angeles/Jags-to-St.-Louis situation, where St. Louis lost out to Jacksonville and Carolina in the expansion bids of '93, then ends up with one of them. The problem with the Rams is that few fan bases will be able to deal with the Frontiere/Chip Rosenbloom ownerships. The Jags, for the most part of their history, have at least been consistent playoff contenders. The Rams, not so. And that's because Mercury was in retrograde, or so "Madam Ram" thought. :Oo:

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396

Personally, I'd like to see the Rams move back to Los Angeles. St. Louis could then pursue the Jags, and use that as an excuse to build the new park.

Hadn't thought about that, but that's probably the best possible outcome to this scenario. Only thing is, would a city that lost two teams in the past quarter-century still be more attractive than, say, a Birmingham or a San Antonio?

See that there is the reason I don't quite get why the NFL is so keen to get back into LA. (Even if you meant St Louis!) Although that being said I don't get why the NFL in LA hasn't really caught fire before. But does California need another NFL team? Perhaps part of Jacksonville's problem is that 3 teams in Florida is more than enough. Maybe a Birmingham team is a better bet? Less glamorous, but more likely to succeed?

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Personally, I'd like to see the Rams move back to Los Angeles. St. Louis could then pursue the Jags, and use that as an excuse to build the new park.

Hadn't thought about that, but that's probably the best possible outcome to this scenario. Only thing is, would a city that lost two teams in the past quarter-century still be more attractive than, say, a Birmingham or a San Antonio?

See that there is the reason I don't quite get why the NFL is so keen to get back into LA. (Even if you meant St Louis!) Although that being said I don't get why the NFL in LA hasn't really caught fire before. But does California need another NFL team? Perhaps part of Jacksonville's problem is that 3 teams in Florida is more than enough. Maybe a Birmingham team is a better bet? Less glamorous, but more likely to succeed?

It was on fire in the town up until the 1980s when Georgia Frontiere busted out a fire extinguisher and a playbook on how to properly kill a market.

I'm so glad the Rosenblooms have to sell. Except it will still be years for the franchise to recover. And Checketts doesn't really have money either.

Of course, everything is more attractive than Birmingham; Legion Field is falling into rubble.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

It's not so much "three NFL teams in Florida" that stymies the Jaguars so much as it's "three football teams in North Florida." The Gators and Seminoles pose a bigger threat than the Buccaneers and Dolphins, because those schools have been around for a really long time and have done rather well (everyone's talking about that one guy and I'm just like "when did Jocelyn Thibault get good at football, or anything?"), and from what I can see, the people who like those two schools REALLY LIKE THOSE TWO SCHOOLS. If people would rather spend their entertainment dollars on college football, which it appears North Floridians would rather do, then the Jaguars are doomed.

The NFL in Birmingham is only a better bet than the NFL in my basement. Get real.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Any Pro sports teams (above the minor league level) will fail in Birmingham. This is coming from one of the biggest defenders of that state that you will probably meet.

1) We don't have the infrastructure in Birmingham to support a team. There is no stadium (they need to stop this "dome talk"). Also, have you ever tried to drive around Birmingham? Good luck with that. The city is in complete debt and our government structure would kill any new stadium proposal (A new stadium, would probably need a tax vote/increase, which, in glorious Alabama is not a local issue, it's a an entire state issue. Which means the entire state votes on an issue that affects a minority of the population and when Alabamian's see "Tax Increase" we freak out and always vote it down)

2) The fan base is entirely college. It's Auburn or Alabama. Then it's UAB or Troy. Then Bama State & A&M. All the way down to Jacksonville State, Samford, South Alabama, North Alabama, Miles, Tuskegee, etc. You can't drive more than 2 hours in this state without being around another College football team.

3) What NFL allegiances we DO have are pretty evenly divided. The Eastern part of the state (Auburn, Phenix City, Opelika) is predominately Falcons fan. The Southern Part (Daphne, Mobile, Foley) are all Saints fans. The Northern Part (Huntsville, Decatur, The Shoals) are all Titans fans. etc etc There is a pretty big split all across the state.

But I wouldn't knock the state of Alabama until you've spent a week here.

(everyone's talking about that one guy and I'm just like "when did Jocelyn Thibault get good at football, or anything?")

First, my co-worker wears a Hawks Thibault jersey to the office, and now this. Do I work with you?

Also, Jim Balsillie should buy the Jaguars and move them to Hamilton.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Alls I'm saying is if it keeps the Bills in Buffalo (even for a little while longer!) please do relocate the Rams and Jaguars.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

There's no way to guarantee this as the league, notoriously stubborn, would have to waive their rule.

But I really think when the time comes, Stan Kroenke will be allowed to purchase the remaining stake of the Rams, and he'll keep them in St. Louis. He's been so quiet about it...

he's working on something. And the NFL doesn't want to lose him.

I don't think the City of Industry stadium is as sure a thing as you're saying, Goth. I read they just cleared a hurdle, but they still have many more to go.

Alls I'm saying is if it keeps the Bills in Buffalo (even for a little while longer!) please do relocate the Rams and Jaguars.

If the owner is loaded with cash, I agree. It's not like I can follow the Rams on TV now anyway.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

The only rules the NFL is going to waive are the ones that expedite the relocation of a team to Los Angeles, because they're so obsessed with this that they've threatened to expand to 33 teams just to fit the damn place in. I know Stan Kroenke has money, but the league is pretty firm on cross-ownership. He might have to be content with owning the Nuggets, the Avs, Arsenal, and by the looks of him, driving around in a windowless van offering candy to schoolchildren.

All this talk about football in L.A. made me finally go and watch "Ram It," which I had never seen. How was this team ever allowed to move? This is brilliant. The smooth melodic West Coast equivalent of the Super Bowl Shuffle, but with like fifty times as much homoeroticism.

You may be right, but I wouldn't be so sure. It's a silly rule and Kroenke is VERY well respected within the NFL owners circle. It would not be surprising if they waived it for him.

But, that wouldn't come to fruition until another bid was accepted. He won't show his hand, and he has the right of first refusal.

There are rumors starting to pick up about bids coming in, and one or two having St. Louis connections. We've also been told nothing is really news yet, so there's nothing hard happening, but things appear to be developing at least.

Oh, and Ram It is about the greatest thing ever created. Incredible.

For the Jags to move, there will need to be somewhere to put them.

Right now LA isn't in a position to bring in an NFL team. That could change in a handful of years, of course.

How about Mexico City? The league has been marketing itself heavily south of the border for years now, staged a 2005 regular-season contest at Estadio Azteca, and has even floated the idea of playing the Super Bowl down there. If southern California isn't ready to bring in an NFL team, Mexico City may well be second on the NFL's "wish list". Besides, the franchise wouldn't even have to change its nickname - jaguars are indigenous to southern Mexico and Central America, and IIRC had some significance in Aztec culture. The Mexico City Jaguars would be the perfect name for a team playing in Estadio Azteca.

CCSLC signature.png

For the Jags to move, there will need to be somewhere to put them.

Right now LA isn't in a position to bring in an NFL team. That could change in a handful of years, of course.

How about Mexico City? The league has been marketing itself heavily south of the border for years now, staged a 2005 regular-season contest at Estadio Azteca, and has even floated the idea of playing the Super Bowl down there. If southern California isn't ready to bring in an NFL team, Mexico City may well be second on the NFL's "wish list". Besides, the franchise wouldn't even have to change its nickname - jaguars are indigenous to southern Mexico and Central America, and IIRC had some significance in Aztec culture. The Mexico City Jaguars would be the perfect name for a team playing in Estadio Azteca.

Mexico City is out for multiple reasons

1. Security issues. The players' safety cannot be reasonably ensured.

2. Economic issues. Not many people in town can reasonably afford tickets, and the Peso is not exactly a solid currency.

3. Health/sanitation issues. Who else wants to see "Montezuma's Revenge" on an injury report?

Today, we are all otaku.

"Playoff intensity is in the air in Mexico City! As is fecal matter! Mostly intensity, though! No wait, mostly fecal matter."

Los Angeles and Toronto are the only viable relocation options in the NFL. The end.

Jags move to LA...

everyone else stays put...

no teams outside the U.S.

the end.

(MLF) Chicago Cannons,  (IHA) Phoenix Firebirds - 2021 Xtreme Cup Champions

(WAFL) Phoenix Federals - WAFL World Bowl XII Champions (Defunct)

There's no way to guarantee this as the league, notoriously stubborn, would have to waive their rule.

But I really think when the time comes, Stan Kroenke will be allowed to purchase the remaining stake of the Rams, and he'll keep them in St. Louis. He's been so quiet about it...

he's working on something. And the NFL doesn't want to lose him.

I don't think the City of Industry stadium is as sure a thing as you're saying, Goth. I read they just cleared a hurdle, but they still have many more to go.

Oh, I won't pretend it's a sure thing. But they keep clearing hurdles (and that was a pretty big one). Not to mention that the guy behind it has an actual track record of building a privately funded stadium in the market. Cities are going to have to actively work to keep their teams, not just count on his failing. Because that seems less and less likely.

FWIW, and not because of anything relating to this particular situation, I think the ownership market rule is an absolutely essential one. Owners need to know that their business partners aren't directly competing with them for sports dollars in their own markets.

Archived