Jaguars considering playing some games in Orlando

B-Rich

Here is the Limbaugh quote on McNabb

"I think what we've had here is a little social concern in the NFL. The media has been very desirous that a black quarterback do well, There is a little hope invested in McNabb, and he got a lot of credit for the performance of this team that he didn't deserve. The defense carried this team."

http://espn.go.com/g...01/1628537.html

If that's the quote, then I kind of think it's more of a slap at the media.

Not that it's a smart thing to say, but it's not as bad or as racist as people are making it out to be.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

• Replies 409
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here is the Limbaugh quote on McNabb

"I think what we've had here is a little social concern in the NFL. The media has been very desirous that a black quarterback do well, There is a little hope invested in McNabb, and he got a lot of credit for the performance of this team that he didn't deserve. The defense carried this team."

http://espn.go.com/g...01/1628537.html

If that's the quote, then I kind of think it's more of a slap at the media.

Not that it's a smart thing to say, but it's not as bad or as racist as people are making it out to be.

Your right that its a slap at the media, but again, why bring the race thing into it? Thats the racist part for most people. I don't think its the worst thing Limbaugh has ever said, but I think that Limbaugh is kind of saying that McNabb got extra credit because he was black.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

That's exactly what he's saying, but that's not racist. He might be wrong, but that statement isn't racist.

The discussion of race makes people uncomfortable. ESPN is not the best place to discuss it. Rush almost certainly should have left that thought somewhere other than on the air at ESPN. But he's not used to needing that kind of filter, and what he said isn't actually racist.

How many times did we hear how great it was that Tony Dungy and Lovie Smith were the first black coaches to coach in a Super Bowl in 2006-07? That type of story was all over ESPN. The media likes to use race as a story line when it can be positive. And that's why, while I won't go so far as to say he was right, I don't think Rush was so off base with his statement. And even if he was, it doesn't fit the definition of racism.

ESPN wasn't the outlet for it, and thus it was clearly bad judgement, but it just wasn't racist.

Saying so and so is the first black guy to achieve something is a statement of fact. You could make a claim that pushing that fact out constantly is racist, but I think that, certainly in the context of the 07 Superbowl, is fair enough. Two coaches as the joint first African American coaches in a Superbowl is a storyline. To deny that is to deny that there is a story in Jackie Robinson being the first AA baseball player.

The Limbauh comment is not racist towards McNabb as a person, but why bring race into it. Why not just say 'McNabb gets too much credit' and leave race out of the equation? Thats the racist bit, to me.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Saying so and so is the first black guy to achieve something is a statement of fact. You could make a claim that pushing that fact out constantly is racist, but I think that, certainly in the context of the 07 Superbowl, is fair enough. Two coaches as the joint first African American coaches in a Superbowl is a storyline. To deny that is to deny that there is a story in Jackie Robinson being the first AA baseball player.

The Limbauh comment is not racist towards McNabb as a person, but why bring race into it. Why not just say 'McNabb gets too much credit' and leave race out of the equation? Thats the racist bit, to me.

I didn't say it wasn't a statement of fact. I just think it can be pushed so strongly it actually overshadows the achievement of them making the Super Bowl. That story line certainly isn't quite equivalent to that of Jackie Robinson. But I don't deny it being a story line, but at what point do you stop mentioning it and instead just start applauding them for being the two best coaches in the league that year out of all the coaches?

I also fully agree with you that Rush should have left race out of it given the situation. But you're not just saying that he shouldn't have said it, you're suggesting that bringing race into conversation in any negative tone is racist, and that's simply not true.

I didn't say it wasn't a statement of fact. I just think it can be pushed so strongly it actually overshadows the achievement of them making the Super Bowl. That story line certainly isn't quite equivalent to that of Jackie Robinson. But I don't deny it being a story line, but at what point do you stop mentioning it and instead just start applauding them for being the two best coaches in the league that year out of all the coaches?

I also fully agree with you that Rush should have left race out of it given the situation. But you're not just saying that he shouldn't have said it, you're suggesting that bringing race into conversation in any negative tone is racist, and that's simply not true.

I am saying that putting race into a conversation in a negative connotation, when it doesn't need to be in the conversation at all, is racist.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

You know something I am not convinced that Limbaugh is racist, I sometimes think he is all bluster but no real meaning. I think he speaks to shock, he wants the reaction. Whereas say a Glenn Beck more earnestly believes what he says, Limbaugh just wants the headlines and the attention and the money. Its a business to him.

So to some up, I am saying what Limbaugh said was racist, but he is not a racist, and STL fanatic is saying what he said wasn't racist but Limbaugh is a racist.

Just another day in the surreal world of CCSLC!!

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Interesting, lol.

Although, I actually agree with the idea that Limbaugh says things for shock value to fit his job of an ENTERTAINER. Still, I was just trying to point out of that some of the things he's said DO sound racist to me (whether it paints an accurate picture of Rush or not). But the ESPN comment isn't one of those things, IMO.

Not that I'm trying to be the board police, but really...STL_FANATIC, you're a moderator, man. Rather than entertaining the political banter in this thread, which by the way has helped lead to yet another derailment, why not lead the charge to steer this thread back to the original point for which it was posted in the first place? Isn't that pretty much an essential function of moderating in the first place...to keep and maintain order and some sense of direction--in this case, to the original topic at hand?

Don't mean to overstep my bounds as member here...but really, it's done gotten a bit out of control up in here. This thread was originally about the Jaguars possibly playing games in another city. Can we please get this thread back on its intended track? Thanks in advance.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

It's my belief that this thread has not taken an uncivil turn. It's also my believe that over the course of a discussion, a topic will shift.

If there's more to be said about Jacksonville, feel free to add it. If necessary a new topic can be made for the Rams/Limbaugh talk, but right now the best solution would be to change the topic of this thread to identify it as Limbaugh talk, because nobody has shown a sustained interest in discussing the Jaguars situation further.

I attempt to keep things civil on the boards first and foremost. I don't think anything happening hear counters my duties as a moderator.

It's my belief that this thread has not taken an uncivil turn. It's also my believe that over the course of a discussion, a topic will shift.

If there's more to be said about Jacksonville, feel free to add it. If necessary a new topic can be made for the Rams/Limbaugh talk, but right now the best solution would be to change the topic of this thread to identify it as Limbaugh talk, because nobody has shown a sustained interest in discussing the Jaguars situation further.

I attempt to keep things civil on the boards first and foremost. I don't think anything happening hear counters my duties as a moderator.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Ok... this isn't exactly back on topic, but it's not Limbaugh talk and still ties in with the general idea with the thread...

Two things seem inevitable... the Bills moving to Toronto and the Big East expanding to twelve football schools. Given this, I keep thinking maybe it'd be best if Buffalo jettisoned the Bills asap. The UBuffalo football team could really use the support (read: influx of cash from season tickets that would be ordered) from displaced Bills fans. There's not too many FBS teams in the northeast that aren't already affiliated with the Big East, so how many winning seasons would the Bulls really need to string together to get the invite?

Maybe some WNY'ers will disagree, but it seems like big time college football coming/returning to Buffalo is the best possible outcome here.

Ok... this isn't exactly back on topic, but it's not Limbaugh talk and still ties in with the general idea with the thread...

Two things seem inevitable... the Bills moving to Toronto and the Big East expanding to twelve football schools. Given this, I keep thinking maybe it'd be best if Buffalo jettisoned the Bills asap. The UBuffalo football team could really use the support (read: influx of cash from season tickets that would be ordered) from displaced Bills fans. There's not too many FBS teams in the northeast that aren't already affiliated with the Big East, so how many winning seasons would the Bulls really need to string together to get the invite?

Maybe some WNY'ers will disagree, but it seems like big time college football coming/returning to Buffalo is the best possible outcome here.

Buffalo is one school. What other 3 schools are they going to add (or existing members are they going to talk into bringing their programs up?) Also wouldn't adding more schools to the Super East in other sports make the Conference completely unmanageable?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

You know, as bad as Buffalo seems to look, I think they have a pretty good sellout streak. I don't think they should jettison the Bills until it's absolutely necessary.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Buffalo is one school. What other 3 schools are they going to add (or existing members are they going to talk into bringing their programs up?) Also wouldn't adding more schools to the Super East in other sports make the Conference completely unmanageable?

I know going way out there on LF,but if the Bills go across the Niagara Falls to Toronto,add UB Bulls and

ask G'town,V'nova and probably Hofstra or ask St.Johns to reinstate their FB program and

possibly ask BC to rejoin the Big East again and have Temple(previously involved in the Big East)

take their place in the ACC.

The Big East IMO if they were in a 12 school alignment:

Big East Football Division

North South

Syracuse W.Virginia

UConn Cincinnati

Rutgers Louisville

Hofstra So.Florida

V'Nova Georgetown

UBuffalo Pittsburgh

majorleaguebaseball3fi.gif

nflfan8bf.jpg

319rg.jpg

dccomics5vs.png

antimtv.png

That would then make the basketball conference as well as the soccer, volleyball, etc. ones have a whopping 18 teams then by adding Buffalo and Hofstra, however. From that standpoint it would be a mess and it really only makes sense if your talking about football or lacrosse in the Big East. Once you add the other sports, it would end up being way too big

oEQ0ySg.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29 // College Crosse: Where I write, chat, and infograph lacrosse

And another thing, the NFL in Toronto has yet to prove itself a rousing success. The Skydome is barely big enough for NFL games, and they've had trouble selling it out. I know that Toronto is a large untapped market, but maybe dwelling in the long shadow of the Maple Leafs isn't all it's cracked up to be.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

That would then make the basketball conference as well as the soccer, volleyball, etc. ones have a whopping 18 teams then by adding Buffalo and Hofstra, however. From that standpoint it would be a mess and it really only makes sense if your talking about football or lacrosse in the Big East. Once you add the other sports, it would end up being way too big

I meant for football only.Besides,there are 2 many teams for me to college roundball anyhow.

majorleaguebaseball3fi.gif

nflfan8bf.jpg

319rg.jpg

dccomics5vs.png

antimtv.png

Archived