UFL Releases Team Logos

Mac the Knife

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think it almost goes without saying that the majority of people in here could come up with far better logos, uniforms and nicknames than these without breaking a sweat.

While I'm all for paying respect to the talented designers in this community, the notion that "the majority of people" in the CCSLC "could come up with far better logos, uniforms and nicknames than these" might be pushing it. Nicknames? Maybe. However, as for logos and uniforms, some members of this community aren't even artists/designers.

I would strongly disagree that people in here are unproven, quite the contrary. Some people in here have developed quite the portfolio and reputation.

But under what circumstances? How many people in this community have had to create brand packages - indeed, sometimes work on varying stages of multiple projects simultaneously - under time constraints for paying customers who, because they're paying customers, are constantly chiming-in with input. Designing a logo because you want to, at your own pace, with nobody to answer to but yourself and nothing to take into account but your own tastes and opinions is VASTLY different than designing a logo for a paying customer, on schedule, and incorporating the input of other people who may not know their asses from their elbows when it comes to design.

Bottom line? It isn't as easy as it looks people.

Brian, I do believe that response is what we call a backhanded compliment. Either you believe the people in here are capable of producing a better output than was done by the designers tapped by the UFL or you don't.

Personally, I think that while the packages produced aren't the worst ever seen, I think for a fledgling sports league trying to find it's identity it leaves something to be desired. And while I believe a client does control the final decision, the direction itself is largely controlled by the output options presented by the designers themselves. I have already seen plenty of proof that better designs could be done here by many people, and I welcome anyone's efforts to do so. I rather doubt we could storm the UFL's offices with them and change their minds any more than any other designs presented here. Nevertheless, it's an activity regularly partaken in here, and I always enjoy seeing the many creative directions shown. This potentially is just another one of times. Even when the designs aren't my particular cup of tea, I still can see the efforts and thought put into them. The fact they are being done by amateur designers makes it that much more extraordinary.

And yes, I do find that the designs in here are better than much of what's produced by the so-called professionals. I think one one the reasons is that people in here are both sports fans and logo/uniform fantics, so it gives them a better perspective on what works and what might not. Now whether that's because the "client" has no say, there's no deadline and/or because is the grand scheme of things it's strictly a very involved fantasy is all speculation. Maybe that's why much of what designed out there in the real world involves a process that seems to stifle creativity. I believe many people in here would be more than talented & organized enough to handle themselves in the real world as it were, and I find it's a real shame that the talent presented in here is not recognized as readily elsewhere.

Creating ideas can actually be easy. One is only limited by their own imagination. Applying it and presenting it to a paying customer on the other hand presents it's own problem. Many of which are either not present in here or at least are not all controlling. That's part of the fun of it. We've seen people's skills evolve and grow over the years and we've seen group ideas spawn into works of art. That process never goes stale.

So I say again for the cheap seats, if any of the designers in here would like to show how it might have been done if they had the opportunity to design for the UFL, by all means, I would like to see them and I know many others in here would too.

We all have our little faults. Mine's in California.

Don't forget that they already said that season two there would likely be some color seperation especially with the added markets. It's almost like they are making the best of a bad situation and moving on an oppurtunity. In the end they may e a minor league with some actual staying power if they can line up the financing and the semi-blessig of the NFL. Especially if the NFL can get game film on guys without paying them salaries.

Don't forget that they already said that season two there would likely be some color seperation especially with the added markets. It's almost like they are making the best of a bad situation and moving on an oppurtunity. In the end they may e a minor league with some actual staying power if they can line up the financing and the semi-blessig of the NFL. Especially if the NFL can get game film on guys without paying them salaries.

Ask the Arena League how that worked out.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Ask the Arena League how that worked out.

I'm thinking that if you could give us a list of things you DO like, it would save us a lot of time and trouble.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

Brian, I do believe that response is what we call a backhanded compliment. Either you believe the people in here are capable of producing a better output than was done by the designers tapped by the UFL or you don't.

Sorry, Bleujayone, but it is not that simplistic.

Some of the people who frequent this community currently have the talent and experience necessary to produce work for a paying customer on a professional assignment and generate "a better output than was done by the designers tapped by the UFL". SOME.

Other members of this community have the potential to take the natural talent they already possess and hone it - through training and experience - to reach the level necessary to produce work for a paying customer on a professional assignment and generate such work. The POTENTIAL to do so.

However, to claim - as you have - that "the majority of people in here could come up with far better logos, uniforms and nicknames" than were created on behalf of the UFL "without breaking a sweat" is hyperbole, plain and simple.

Personally, I think that while the packages produced aren't the worst ever seen, I think for a fledgling sports league trying to find it's identity it leaves something to be desired.

I agree. Read the critiques of the names, uniforms, logos and helmets that I've posted in the CCSLC. I am hardly an unabashed fan of the the UFL's team branding packages.

And while I believe a client does control the final decision, the direction itself is largely controlled by the output options presented by the designers themselves.

It is, in fact, a rather delicate "tug-of-war" between client and designer. Ultimately, the designer must serve the client's vision, even if said vision doesn't conform to the designer's aesthetic. Either that, or you run the risk of losing the job.

I have already seen plenty of proof that better designs could be done here by many people...

Again, you'll get no argument from me. That said, while some members of this community are capable of consistently turning out the quality of product you're talking about while under deadline on behalf of paying customers who aren't shy about sharing their input, I would contend that the majority are not.

Nevertheless, it's an activity regularly partaken in here...

Under conditions and circumstances that don't begin to approach the stress-filled realities of engaging in graphic design work professionally. It remains to be seen how anyone besides this community's professional graphic design members would measure-up under such conditions, let alone how it would impact the quality of the work that they create.

And yes, I do find that the designs in here are better than much of what's produced by the so-called professionals.

Sometimes they are and sometimes they are not. To say otherwise is unrealistic, patronizing and, more importantly, a slight to the work of those CCSLC member-designers who are currently capable of generating truly exceptional work under professional-level circumstances.

Now whether that's because the "client" has no say, there's no deadline and/or because is the grand scheme of things it's strictly a very involved fantasy is all speculation.

No, it is not open to speculation. The realities of engaging in graphic design work under deadline for paying customers who are empowered to effect the process with their input is vastly different than designing a logo at your own pace, with nobody to please but yourself, strictly for the purposes of sharing it with fellow sports logo enthusiasts in this community. As a result, there is the very real possibility that the level of work generated by some of this community's members under professional circumstances would not approach the quality of work that they have displayed in the comparatively pressure-free environment that is the CCSLC.

I believe many people in here would be more than talented & organized enough to handle themselves in the real world as it were...

I'm sure that some will. I'd be willing to wager that's the case.

However, the number of said people is nowhere near the "majority" you cited in your earlier post. And given that the logos created for the UFL were designed in a professional environment, we must ask ourselves how many CCSLC designers would have come-up with better identity packages for the UFL under like circumstances. I dare say that the realities of producing identity packages under such circumstances would have negatively impacted the usual quality of work that many non-professional CCSLC designers normally turn-in, purely because said designers have never had to engage in the creative process under such pressure.

Creating ideas can actually be easy. One is only limited by their own imagination.

Agreed.

Applying it and presenting it to a paying customer on the other hand presents it's own problem. Many of which are either not present in here or at least are not all controlling.

Bingo! Which is why it renders your contention that the majority of this community's members could have generated better logos, uniforms and nicknames for the UFL than their professional designer did a moot point.

After all, the pressure to create under professional circumstances would have undoubtedly caused some CCSLC members to wilt. Conversely, the creative team responsible for generating the UFL's identity packages may well have produced logos, uniforms and nicknames that you'd go absolutely "ga-ga" over if they'd been allowed the freedom to create in the non-pressure environment that is the CCSLC.

The reality is that successful professional graphic designers have to maintain the unabashed creative mindset that is present in the CCSLC while working under professional conditions that can stifle pure, unbridled creativity. I have no doubt that some members of the CCSLC will successfully figure-out how to do just that and, as a result, go on to fulfilling and rewarding careers as design professionals.

Bottom line? While engaging in designing identity packages for the UFL teams here in the CCSLC may well generate logos, uniforms and nicknames we feel are superior to those that the league is actually using, there is no guarantee that our group of creative minds would have generated anything approaching what we'll ultimately turn-out in this controlled environment if we were working under the same conditions that the UFL's designers faced.

I think it almost goes without saying that the majority of people in here could come up with far better logos, uniforms and nicknames than these without breaking a sweat.

In fact maybe that should be the start of another thread.

Most of them aren't bad at all. The Locos logo needs work, but the Tuskers logo looks great.

That said, a good amount of us could come up with something better. The problem is that a lot of us aren't head of an established graphic design company, which is what companies look for. They don't like to take chances with people who are unproven in their eyes. It sucks, yes, but that is how corporate America operates.

While I'll agree that there are not a lot of us in here who can claim a major commercial account, I would strongly disagree that people in here are unproven, quite the contrary. Some people in here have developed quite the portfolio and reputation. Granted there's a little chance of a major corporation taking the time to look through here for to designers. But if they did I think they'd be surprised at the quality of ideas, discussions, evolution, and overall quality of the final products. It's my opinion that we as a collective have a better reading of the pulse of sports tastes of the United States, Canada and the world thanks largely from our diverse membership.

We've seen the output of "established" graphic companies and I think it's a safe bet that at best they are no better overall than anything we could output in here, and arguably we have had members (usually with community input) create superior product. I believe this is one of those occasions where we can come up with something better.

Part of the reasoning behind that is the UFL originally was only going to have 4 teams with no nicknames, distinct uniform design, or logos. Upon realizing having generic teams with no individual identities might be a bad marketing idea, they put in this "effort" that seems half-hearted and hastily thrown together. Some in here might completely gut what's been done and start from scratch, some would only alter a few things here and there, while maybe others would only tweak something here or there in an attempt to save what was done. We already know nobody is hardly ever taken seriously in here by the professionals- but they should. I just think this is one of those group opportunities where we can again show off our collective minds and talents. People in here have already redesigned entire established leagues in here, and I think it might be fun to see everyone demonstrate how they might have done it differently with these four teams. Are the official designs absolutely horrible? No it's safe to say we've seen worse and there are some positive things in them to be found. But since this was allegedly done by the "professionals" I'd expect far better.

Personally, I think that while the packages produced aren't the worst ever seen, I think for a fledgling sports league trying to find it's identity it leaves something to be desired. And while I believe a client does control the final decision, the direction itself is largely controlled by the output options presented by the designers themselves. I have already seen plenty of proof that better designs could be done here by many people, and I welcome anyone's efforts to do so. I rather doubt we could storm the UFL's offices with them and change their minds any more than any other designs presented here. Nevertheless, it's an activity regularly partaken in here, and I always enjoy seeing the many creative directions shown. This potentially is just another one of times. Even when the designs aren't my particular cup of tea, I still can see the efforts and thought put into them. The fact they are being done by amateur designers makes it that much more extraordinary.

And yes, I do find that the designs in here are better than much of what's produced by the so-called professionals. I think one one the reasons is that people in here are both sports fans and logo/uniform fantics, so it gives them a better perspective on what works and what might not. Now whether that's because the "client" has no say, there's no deadline and/or because is the grand scheme of things it's strictly a very involved fantasy is all speculation. Maybe that's why much of what designed out there in the real world involves a process that seems to stifle creativity. I believe many people in here would be more than talented & organized enough to handle themselves in the real world as it were, and I find it's a real shame that the talent presented in here is not recognized as readily elsewhere.

Creating ideas can actually be easy. One is only limited by their own imagination. Applying it and presenting it to a paying customer on the other hand presents it's own problem. Many of which are either not present in here or at least are not all controlling. That's part of the fun of it. We've seen people's skills evolve and grow over the years and we've seen group ideas spawn into works of art. That process never goes stale.

So I say again for the cheap seats, if any of the designers in here would like to show how it might have been done if they had the opportunity to design for the UFL, by all means, I would like to see them and I know many others in here would too.

Although I agree with the fact that the uniforms are too similar on the field, the league logo looks like PacMan( I didn't do those, I came in late to this project) I believe that I did a pretty good job under the circumstances on the logos. If everyone in this community is more talented than me then they should prove it by getting a job in a sports branding firm and kick my ass with your superior talent. The jobs are out there if you have the talent. But don't sit behind your little desks and critique and claim that you can do better... Prove it.

If you're a print/graphic/brand designer and can't take a little honest critique of your work, you're in the wrong profession.

Well, I understand his frustration Chucky. His hard work is getting lampooned and criticised by people who aren't in "the biz" for the most part. I would think it'd be like a civilian telling me how to do my military job and then not understand why I would take offense to that.

Archived