Patriots Tricorn Helmet

BallWonk

UPDATED WITH REVISED IMAGES

Inspired by this AFL in color screenshot posted by BlueSky over in the Sports Logos forum, here's a rough mockup of an idea I proposed. It takes the basic concept of the original Pats helmet, with a tricorn hat on each side, and gives it the full Vikings/Rams treatment of turning the entire helmet into a tricorn hat.

I used the Pats current colors because, well, the darker blue is simply a better color for this type of a helmet. Your typical tricorn hat was black or dark brown fur or felt or light straw. It was fashionable at the time of the Revolution to bind the brim of a tricorn hat in white ribbon, creating a profile very much like the continuous white stripe around the helmet. In addition, just to spice it up, I've created a version with a red, blue, and silver cockade of the sort that a Revolutionary soldier might have worn.

Here is a link to my crappy first draft.

Revised Images

Plain:

pats-tricorn2-plain.jpg

With Cockade:

pats-tricorn2-cockade.jpg

20082614447.png

It's definitely an interesting idea, but I don't know, if you didn't mention what it was, that I would've picked up on it, because I'm not sure how well the curves of the football helmet work on a hat that's design is straight.

This is probably a problem with my execution, because the line of a tricorn hat's brim is all curves, no straight lines. A tricorn hat is just a hat with a wide, basically circular brim, with the brim tied back against the crown in three places. This concept looks too much like a crenellated tower, not enough like the gentler, but more rounded, curves of a tricorn hat. This is in the ballpark, but not quite standing at home plate.

20082614447.png

I think if you did silver on the bottom so you can see the bottom of the hat, it would work better. I don't know if it will totally work, but at least you're thinking out of the box and this is one of the more original ideas I've seen in a while so on that I give you huge credit.

Here are some images for comparison...

pats-tricorn.jpg

DeluxeTricornHat.jpg

Tricorn2.jpg

And then there's this fellow, who reportedly enjoys hanging out with Bucco Bruce (the logo, not the CCSLC member)...

21662-m.jpg

:P

Anyway, looking at the helmet, as stated the curves don't seem quite right towards the back and it seems a different color for the non-hat area would help. Great concept though.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Make the lower half white, and just put thin navy line to outline the white edge of the Tri Corner. I was working on a similar idea but yours is better.

pissinonbobsmall.jpg

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

P. J. O'Rourke

Archived