New MLB BP Caps

Bmac

From the other thread:

bpflexhat.jpg

Here was the original picture I posted in the very first post:

bp_flex_hat.jpg

Pretty similar I guess.

I think it would look better if the button was red. The piping just disappears under it right now. If it matched I think it would flow better. Still miss the old ones with alt logos and low crowns though.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Agreed. What scares me about these caps is -- just like the past ones -- there are small details that could be done wrong that will "ruin" the cap for three years. Not saying the lack of a red button does this on the Twins, but it seems like such an obvious thing to do with this template you wonder how they could miss it. Curious to see the rest of them. Reds and Twins are not too bad so far.

Agreed. What scares me about these caps is -- just like the past ones -- there are small details that could be done wrong that will "ruin" the cap for three years. Not saying the lack of a red button does this on the Twins ...

Don't be shy! The lack of a red button absolutely ruins the Twins BP cap. Especially since the Twins have a red button on all of their navy game caps, and a navy button on their old red alt cap.

When the Nats come out with a crappy BP cap where the contrast-color piping disappears under a button the same color as the cap, at least they'll have the excuse that their regular caps have same-color buttons too. But forgoing the contrasting button on a Twins BP cap? Inexcusable.

20082614447.png

Agreed. What scares me about these caps is -- just like the past ones -- there are small details that could be done wrong that will "ruin" the cap for three years. Not saying the lack of a red button does this on the Twins ...

Don't be shy! The lack of a red button absolutely ruins the Twins BP cap. Especially since the Twins have a red button on all of their navy game caps, and a navy button on their old red alt cap.

When the Nats come out with a crappy BP cap where the contrast-color piping disappears under a button the same color as the cap, at least they'll have the excuse that their regular caps have same-color buttons too. But forgoing the contrasting button on a Twins BP cap? Inexcusable.

OK, you got me. It will annoy me to no end when I see it. But I have a feeling the worst is yet to come.

Some are good lookin, while some look bad

I may get the phillies one, I suppose it looks better than the last version with the ear lines.

philliesnewbphat.jpg

I was kinda hoping for a blue bill.

Ok lookin thru all of them, http://www.neweracap.com/nshop/product.php?groupName=NewArrivalsMLB&view=listing&useGN=1 which seems to be where they all are at. I would say the mariners is the best looking one

marinersbphat.jpg

In the Phillies case, it doesn't make much sense not to extend the blue piping to the front of the bill.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

http://www.neweracap.com/nshop/product.php?groupName=NewArrivalsMLB&view=listing&useGN=1

If you look through here, you can see all the new hats. They're pretty disappointing. The Indians are the only team without any piping at all (and they are using their alternate/throwback C logo). I think the worst looks are the teams with only piping on the crown or the bill but not both. It just looks incomplete. And the lack of alternate logos doesn't add any incentive to get one.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

Yea I agree, the phillies one shoulda just had the blue piping go all the way.

Also on teams that dont use a different color for piping, shoulda been made without it imo (Mariners hat woulda looked even better)

Well the rays have an all powder blue hat now, its just their road bp hat.

http://idn.efashionsolutions.com/asset/image/format/NE-ex/id/NE-MLBBP3930-TAMRD_powderblue_front

all of them are up on MLB Shop as well

http://shop.mlb.com/family/index.jsp?categoryId=3971623&cp=3971623&view=all

some key notations:

the Giants and Mariners are the only team that really bucked the trend on the new template. The Giants' comes off as a 39/30 model of their new alternate hat.

the Rays have an all powder blue hat with navy piping. very interesting to see, as their former BP road cap had a navy crown and powder blue brim.

the Angels caved and they are a part of the template design.

the Tribe went with their throwback design block 'c' instead of chief wahoo. but added a red brim.

just from an aesthetic standpoint, it seems like those who made the brim color panels a different color, but used the same color piping on the brim, looks better. wow, bad sentence, but this is what i mean:

bp2010nyy.png

as opposed to say the phillies' one, where the brim is all one color, this making the piping stand out more. the yankees and even the mets, for that matter, look more NFL sideline-ish and therefore not as stupid than say the reds or pirates, which is looks like piping was thrown up on.

sig2024.png

Mets and Yankees road look the worst to me at first glance. The piping color switch on the Mets seems odd with the black side bill, and the Yankees big block of gray with no piping change looks weird to me. (EDIT: Funny Brian E, my first impression was the opposite. I'll add the Yankees home as well, with the bill-only piping.)

I can live with the Cubs (but the blue button will drive me nuts). I might pay $10 for it in three years (unlike the current one -- earflaps just don't work on me). I expected it to look like the Rangers version.

I see what the Phillies are trying to do, but it might look weird in person with the red-on-red piping. Same with the Mariners and Indians, who just ignored the piping completely.

And I guess that settles any Marlins questions that remained -- the F stays. Glad to see it for a couple more years.

All in all I expected a lot more customization and mix-and-match. Most of these are pretty tame.

That Braves cap doesn't look bad at all.

I agree. I doesn't look all that bad. I've seen a Braves fashion cap that looks a lot like that but where the front part of the hat and brim are navy and the sides and back of the hat are white. It looked really good and I could honestly see it worn on the field.

On a related note, maybe I'm asking too much or maybe just caught on a nostalgia trip, but I wish some teams would reconsider utilizing the hat design from the 80's made popular by the Brewers and Blue Jays. Not all teams looked good doing it, but some teams (the above mentioned especially) looked fantastic.

A few thoughts...

The Rockies stand out with the black CR on the black cap. Looks cool. Also, I am really digging the powder blue Rays cap. It adds a much needed brightness to the games' caps. Arizona's is pretty nice too.

The White Soz and A's are rough since the outlines on the logo's make the cap too busy.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Dr. Kelso: My son is a big baseball fan. Not so much playing it, but more the designing and sewing of uniforms.

Tyler: That's neat.

Dr. Kelso: No, it's not.

The good news: They're almost all improvements on the old ear-flap model.

The bad news: Not big improvements.

A few that don't suck:

Tampa Bay

Washington (WTF? The Nats are supposed to be ugly. So in a way, a non-ugly BP cap is actually a fail here.)

Seattle

Colorado

Cincy

Chicago (both - the Cubs kind of looks like their awesome white-piped 1957 caps)

Arizona

I have a problem with most of the caps that have contrasting colors on the sides of the bill. I actually like the idea, but in execution most of the caps that do this just make it look like they have extra-narrow bills. The contrasting sides need to have more color presence than most of these have.

20082614447.png

Archived