The Race for 0-16.

BrySmalls

Still can't believe that Tennessee is winless and losing 59-0 to ANYBODY.

Yeah that's a shocker. But if the Titans are dumb enough to drop Jeff Fisher because of one single really bad season they'll be here for years IMO.

Agreed. Lately the trend is to hire young and/or first time head coaches.

If Fisher became available, he'd be the first coach offered a gig.

IMO, that is. I think VERY highly of him.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah that's a shocker. But if the Titans are dumb enough to drop Jeff Fisher because of one single really bad season they'll be here for years IMO.

That method's worked out pretty well for some other teams who've recently dropped long-time head coaches for having just one disastrous season. (See Broncos and Ravens.)

6uXNWAo.png

If the Rams and/or Bucs go winless, will their coaches get canned(even after one season)?

No for the Rams, as that would be increasing costs during a sale.

That said, at the rate the team is going, offensive coordinator Pat Shurmur will be lucky to survive past the bye week.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

If the Rams and/or Bucs go winless, will their coaches get canned(even after one season)?

That said, at the rate the team is going, offensive coordinator Pat Shurmur will be lucky to survive past the bye week.

This team is better than last year and better with each increasing week. There is ZERO chance Spags would be canned, and it has nothing to do with operating expenses.

A coordinator is always at a higher risk than a head coach, but I doubt as if Shurmur will get any less than two years also. It's his first time as a coordinator, he's gotta grow into the role. It's slow, but he's made progress with his play-calling. It's not steady, there's been steps backwards, but ultimately he and the offense have made progress.

I'm not the least bit concerned with the coaching staff. Just need some better players, then some health, and one of these days we'll be watching a winning squad. In the meantime, I'm just hoping to see one win. Today was painful.

I suggested earlier that its possible that the Bucs might demote Morris back to Defensive Coordinator and hire a more experienced HC.

I think the Rams are commited to Spagnuolo at the moment.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

This team is better than last year and better with each increasing week. There is ZERO chance Spags would be canned, and it has nothing to do with operating expenses.

A coordinator is always at a higher risk than a head coach, but I doubt as if Shurmur will get any less than two years also. It's his first time as a coordinator, he's gotta grow into the role. It's slow, but he's made progress with his play-calling. It's not steady, there's been steps backwards, but ultimately he and the offense have made progress.

I'm not the least bit concerned with the coaching staff. Just need some better players, then some health, and one of these days we'll be watching a winning squad. In the meantime, I'm just hoping to see one win. Today was painful.

They scored 13 points yesterday against one of the worst pass defenses in the NFL. That is not progress. Especially considering how little the offense did outside of the first and last drives. Shurmur's very questionable play selection only serves to accomplish one thing. It gets the offense off the field with very little time ticked off on the clock. This is a guy who has essentially been doing his best Al Saunders impression all season, and it's going to (and should) cost him his job.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I'm just looking at it drive by drive and half by half. The drives are getting better and the plays are getting better...until they don't. Solid to good first half yesterday, AWFUL second half. Decent final drive.

I think Shurmur has it in him to call some good plays. But he has to stick with what works, and he seems to fall into lolls of badness in the middle of games. It certainly doesn't help that he has two mediocre and beat up quarterbacks, a small (in numbers) and young WR core--the #1 WR out for the year, the #2 with a new injury every game, and a not yet good offensive line.

I'm willing to see what he can do next year when he has better, more developed, and health (hoping those all three pan out) talent and a full year of play-calling under his belt before I write him off. No reason to be impatient with new coaches and players in a season like this.

That method's worked out pretty well for some other teams who've recently dropped long-time head coaches for having just one disastrous season. (See Broncos and Ravens.)

For the Ravens, Billick had been on the hot seat for awhile. There was a lot of criticism for him not being able to create a capable offense after being labeled an offensive genius in Minnesota. In 2007, he lost the locker room and that was the final straw. It was pretty apparent the players had enough during the Monday Night game against the Patriots. His firing wasn't really as reactionary as Shanahan's was and Fisher's would be.

I'm beginning to think Fisher might be out of the door in Tennessee at the end of the year. And I am not sure that the Titans couldn't do with some fresh ideas. You would have to imagine someone else would be prepared to hire Fisher though!

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

I'm beginning to think Fisher might be out of the door in Tennessee at the end of the year. And I am not sure that the Titans couldn't do with some fresh ideas. You would have to imagine someone else would be prepared to hire Fisher though!

Absolutely, he'd have a job in 10 minutes.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Β 

I'm just looking at it drive by drive and half by half. The drives are getting better and the plays are getting better...until they don't. Solid to good first half yesterday, AWFUL second half. Decent final drive.

I think Shurmur has it in him to call some good plays. But he has to stick with what works, and he seems to fall into lolls of badness in the middle of games. It certainly doesn't help that he has two mediocre and beat up quarterbacks, a small (in numbers) and young WR core--the #1 WR out for the year, the #2 with a new injury every game, and a not yet good offensive line.

I'm willing to see what he can do next year when he has better, more developed, and health (hoping those all three pan out) talent and a full year of play-calling under his belt before I write him off. No reason to be impatient with new coaches and players in a season like this.

I'm sorry. Making a habit of calling short patterns on 3rd and long (or really any down for that matter), or pulling Jackson for Gado on 3rd and 1 or less do not leave me confident in your coaching prowess. Nor does the ability of pretty much everyone in the clanram chatroom to predict precisely what play the Rams will run at a given point in a drive. If the schlubs can do it, you can better believe an NFL defensive coordinator can do it. This is vintage Linehan stuff here and if Shurmur hasn't figured out it doesn't work yet, he never will.

Today, we are all otaku.

Absolutely, he'd have a job in 10 minutes.

I'd GLADLY take the guy down in Tampa.

Bear in mind...Raheem got the HC gig basically by default. Got promoted to DC in the offseason, then Gruden got canned. It was already known even then the Bucs wanted to promote from within. Morris was the only natural choice at that point. The season ain't over yet, and I haven't even been able to watch all their games this season, but um...I have yet to see ANY kind of plan or mindset as to what this team is or what he thinks they could be.

(The other thing is this: the idea, even if in shades and even if only a pipe dream, of a 46 defense in Tampa after 10+ years of the Tampa 2 is intriguing as hell to me.)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || BehanceΒ ||

Can anyone really still run an honest-to-goodness 46 defense in a league that's continuously engineered to encourage passing, especially quick/short passes? I mean, yeah, you can put eight in the box, but I feel that one of the major parts of the 46's success was having players who attempted to murder opposing offenses, and on-field attempted murder is generally discouraged by the modern NFL.

Oh and if they have to dismiss Lovie Smith for missing three straight postseasons, I'd totes take Jeff Fisher.

β™« oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is goneΒ β™«

To be fair, I did say shades of the 46, didn't I? :D

I don't know...I'm just a sucker for hard-nosed physical hard-hitting football...not this pretty pretty finesse aerial show that draws fouls for ticky-tack contact beyond five yards and what-not (I'm specifically referring to the Colts' brand of offense--it just ain't really my cup of tea, you know?). I mean hell...we're damn near allowed more contact in my flag football league than the the NFL seems to allow defensive backs with WRs and any defender with QBs. But that's just me.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || BehanceΒ ||

Archived