Use of Arial/Helvetica/Web Safe Font in Logos

Patchez

It was pointed out to me that a basic sans-serif font such as Arial/Helvetica and I suppose those similar would/should never be used in a sports team logo design.

That made sense to me, but I wondered what logos may have similar fonts incorporated in existing designs. I did a quick check and found these in my patch collection.

Keep in mind some designs may have had a font switch for embroidery production purposes and that I am far from a font expert, so I might have ID'd ones that do not below here.

SportPatchCollection-4.png

SportPatchCollection-5.png

SportPatchCollection-6.png

SportPatchCollection-7.png

SportPatchCollection-8.png

I had to stop here.

1sigHawks-1.png

2sigHawks.gif

i see you included the patch towards the bottom, but when i saw this thread title, first thing in my head was "the dallas stars logo is completely italic helvetica"

do i have nothing else to add :P

It all depends on how it's used. Anything can look lazy and cheap if it's just tacked on.

In cases like the Chicago Fire patch above, a simple sans serif like Helvetica can add information, while still letting the primary logo be all the focus.

I know the Newark Bears used Arial in its logo, and it didn't seem like it was used because it was a default font (choice of Arial beside the point :P )

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

It was pointed out to me that a basic sans-serif font such as Arial/Helvetica and I suppose those similar would/should never be used in a sports team logo design.

As you can see, that "rule" you heard is complete BS. Any design should use whatever typeface or typefaces that best communicate what the design is supposed to communicate. Rarely will a common trade font be right for a jersey script, though one has only to look at the Maple Leafs to see the limits of this guideline. But in other team logos, a common commercial typeface will often be the right choice for at least some text.

However, you do touch on one thing that should be an absolute rule in design: No design should ever, under any circumstances, use Arial. Arial is second only to Comic Sans on the list of fonts never to use.

20082614447.png

New Penn State identity uses Helvetica. Very boring.

Newark Bears uses Arial. It works, there was thought put into it.

UMass-Lowell identity uses Impact (similar to Helvetica condensed). Would I use it? No, but it goes together. Then again, it was done by Phoenix, so take it for what you will.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

The rule is BS. You'll notice most of these patches are old, and these fonts are simply what they had available to them. Digital type and vector drawing have only become commonplace in the past couple decades. With that said, you're usually going to get better results using something unique or otherwise custom for your primary logotypes, but using a plain typeface like Helvetica or Trade Gothic is, in my opinion, perfectly suited for subordinate type, like the city name in a primary logo or the text that you often see encircling an anniversary logo or other 'seal' type of mark.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

The rule is BS... in my opinion, perfectly suited for subordinate type, like the city name in a primary logo or the text that you often see encircling an anniversary logo or other 'seal' type of mark.

I think you hit it right on the nail! (sometimes questions are asked when the answer is already known).

I did get my hand slapped a couple of times for my font choice for this quick, fun patch I came up with...

WrigleyFinal.jpg

1sigHawks-1.png

2sigHawks.gif

i agree the rule is BS. you must also remember that the soul purpose for typography is communication. fonts like helvetica and arial are popular because they are both available to any designer, but also very easy to read even at a small scale. if one of those fonts also has the right "personality" for the job, then theres no reason to ever ignore it

see my signature for Helvetica. i chose that font because it balances well with the slab serif. i needed something subtle and legible at a smallish scale. helvetica to the rescue

also, thanks for posting all those patches. i added them all to my Inspirational Logo Folder

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

However, you do touch on one thing that should be an absolute rule in design: No design should ever, under any circumstances, use Arial. Arial is second only to Comic Sans on the list of fonts never to use.

hahahaha!

I love that font! Its the absolute worst font ever!!! We used to use it just to piss off our typography teacher in college. His heart would literally skip a beat during a critique.

"Is that...*gasp*...COMIC SANS?????"

LOVE IT!

I?m sorry but I have to disagree. I think Times Roman would have to be the worst font you could use in a logo outside of Comic Sans. I get so freakin? sick of seeing that font over and over and over again in society!

Utah_Jazz_2010-11_Identity_Signa-2.jpg

I’m sorry but I have to disagree. I think Times Roman would have to be the worst font you could use in a logo outside of Comic Sans. I get so freakin’ sick of seeing that font over and over and over again in society!

At least Times doesn't look like a child drew it.

:)

I?m sorry but I have to disagree. I think Times Roman would have to be the worst font you could use in a logo outside of Comic Sans. I get so freakin? sick of seeing that font over and over and over again in society!

At least Times doesn't look like a child drew it.

:)

Very true, which is why Comic Sans is the leader! ^_^ Of course there's worse fonts out there, but as far as common fonts, those are the two that stick out the most to me.

1. Comic Sans

2. Times Roman

Utah_Jazz_2010-11_Identity_Signa-2.jpg

Many of those patches don't even use Arial.

rear admiral my friend, at the risk of being rude or overreacting, please re-read my opening post.

I took the time to underline key words that qualify deflating my emphasis on the Arial font in particular.

Have a great weekend, you know Elvis loves you!

1sigHawks-1.png

2sigHawks.gif

Archived