NFL Weekly Uniform Notes

Bmac

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Same old Rams. I'm hoping this is a mistake:

As the players filed into the locker room after Friday's practice, equipment manager Todd Hewitt and the rest of the Rams' equipment staff stripped off the "new century gold" horns from each helmet and replaced them with the canary yellow decals of a decade gone by.

The old helmet was a much darker blue. Maybe this will look better, and im excited to see, but way to go rams for not shelling out(no pun intended) for special helmets. this team, from the the product on the field, to its website, to its marketing, is a complete disgrace. as a fan, i'll be (gasp) happy if eddie debartolo ever buys this team.

EDIT: lookin at side by side shots, maybe it isnt very different. in the dome lights, i could have sworn they lightened it a bit. i may be nitpicking a bit. i still dont take back my opinion that they are a disgrace.

I seem to recall ColorWerx posting that the helmet shells were the same shade pre and post 2000. I think he had photos for comparison up too.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Same old Rams. I'm hoping this is a mistake:

As the players filed into the locker room after Friday's practice, equipment manager Todd Hewitt and the rest of the Rams' equipment staff stripped off the "new century gold" horns from each helmet and replaced them with the canary yellow decals of a decade gone by.

The old helmet was a much darker blue. Maybe this will look better, and im excited to see, but way to go rams for not shelling out(no pun intended) for special helmets. this team, from the the product on the field, to its website, to its marketing, is a complete disgrace. as a fan, i'll be (gasp) happy if eddie debartolo ever buys this team.

EDIT: lookin at side by side shots, maybe it isnt very different. in the dome lights, i could have sworn they lightened it a bit. i may be nitpicking a bit. i still dont take back my opinion that they are a disgrace.

I seem to recall ColorWerx posting that the helmet shells were the same shade pre and post 2000. I think he had photos for comparison up too.

there are some shots that makes the new shells appear lighter. the old ones, even back in LA looked almost black at times. the new ones seem to absorb the light better. cant find any examples yet....

Their old helmets were navy blue when the rest of their uniform was royal blue. The Giants had the same problem and they both used to bug the :censored: out of me. I'm all for historical accuracy, but this will right a wrong. Well almost, the current helmets aren't royal blue either, but it'll be closer to the jersey color than the old helmets.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Other than the lighting conditions being different in these photos, there is a simple reason for the difference in the color of the Rams' helmets. The helmets they used when they had yellow gold as a color were impregnated navy blue helmets.The color that Riddell called "royal" at the time is the color the Broncos used. The shade was very light compared to what most of us think of as royal. Both the Giants and the Rams used navy because, even though the color was darker, it most closely matched the royal they used in the rest of their uniforms.Since most teams now use a painted shell , it is easier to match team colors.(Unless you are the Cowboys or Saints or Vikings throwbacks).

These throwbacks are the first thing the Rams have done correctly in recent memory. Even used the proper block number font. Well done, Rams. It all looks a bit of a mess when squished into the modern-day uniform, but still looks better than what the Vikings will inevitably throttle them in.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I think the perception of a darker helmet (as I watch the game) is a bit of an optical illusion brought on by the lighter jerseys and the athletic gold horns.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

The Chiefs' Texans look is a bit of a snoozer. Basically they removed some gold and changed decals and facemasks on the helmets. Love that Cowboys set but only as an occasional alternate.

Now just to show that I am not all about "old look equals better look" I think The Rams current uniforms are much better than the throwbacks. Those old uni's are OK but they're nothing special. If the Rams really want to look good then they need to go back to these...

d_jones_090421_blog.jpg908e_1.jpg

Now that's a look.

BB52Big.jpg

Archived