Rocky Mountain Lows

wdm1219inpenna

Thanks for the replies guys. Yes, it is true that there are on occasion, snowed out games in April, but that is after all, in April, the beginning of the season, and those games can be, and often are, played either as double headers or during an off day for both teams. When you get delays in October (let's face it, it's already Oct 11th), and that pushes series back farther, it is bad. Teams that have already clinched (Dodgers & Angels) have to wait long enough for the next series to start. Now the Dodgers could be penalized if the weather is bad yet again in Denver.

Nice to know that you fail to realize the impact of a DH on a pitching staff, especially with a 25-man roster. Look at who it impacted teams lat this season, such as the Texas Rangers.

I'm just saying that since retractable roofed domes seem all the rage, why wasn't this done in the first place back in '93 for the Rockies & Marlins? This way you'd not have to use humidors for baseballs, those things are meant for cigars after all!

All the rage back in 1993? At that time, there were only four sport facilities on Earth with retractable roofs: Mellon Arena (aka Pittsburgh Civic Arena), Rod Laver Arena (Melbourne), SkyDome (opened 1989) and Fukuoka Dome (Opened 1993). The pursuit to win the NL expansion teams of 1993 started basically when SkyDome opened, circa 1989. That is why it was not done back then. Minute Maid, Chase Field, Miller Park, and Safeco were all with broken ground well into the 1990's.

Selig says 162 game schedule is kept, then fine, schedule 1 double header per month for each team. That will shave 6 days off right there. Don't play this needless World Baseball Classic either. That's the main thing this year. The post-season should have started Tuesday, September 29th this year. Now the regular post-season play doesn't start until a Wednesday, in case 2 spare days are needed to play tie-breaker games. To me, Minnesota should have won the division by default. If you blow a huge lead in Sept. like that, you don't deserve to win the division anyway, and the Tigers didn't win it. If a team trailing you catches you, then the team who draws even with you should just win the division automatically, to avoid having to play these 1 game tiebreakers all the time, that way the post-season can start on a Tuesday, and not a Wednesday.

Some want the first round to be a best of 7 series too, but have it where the wild card team only hosts 2 games, making it a 2-2-3 series. I rather like that idea, however, because of a lack of willingness of the teams to play 1 scheduled double-header a month, to shave some time off the calendar, I would be against this idea, because it would again push the World Series into November, and I'm sorry, but "November baseball" just doesn't have the same ring to it as "October baseball". I'm still not getting used to the idea of the Super Bowl not being played in January anymore. Maybe too it's a negative association for me because the first time the World Series had to be played in November was 2001, and the Super Bowl had to be played the first week of Feb., was due to the terrorist attacks, and I still associate November World Series games and February Super Bowl games with that.

Personally, I think the wildcard team should get game 1 and that is it. That team failed to win the division, so why reward them with as many games as a division winner.

I agree, a neutral site for the World Series would be a dreadful idea. I recognize there are no simple solutions, and I know Selig says they won't go to a 154 game schedule. Yet they did do a 144 game schedule in 1995 due to the lockout, and they did have the split season back in '81 where fewer games were played too. Just no easy solutions. It's a shame too, because MLB used to really be awesome to me, and I wish I could feel about it now the way I did when I was younger. I wish I could sit here and say "all 30 teams have a shot next year", but already we can eliminate Washington, Pittsburgh, Kansas City, Baltimore, Toronto, Cincinnati without anyone batting an eye. The 2009 season's not even over yet and already we can pretty much assume none of those 6 teams will make post-season in 2010. That's 20% of the league out of it already. And chances are your Tampas, Texas's, Houstons, and Floridas won't contend either. So that's 10 teams out of 30, that's 1/3 of the league already probably out of the hunt for 2010. With the NFL it's much more difficult to be able to eliminate teams right away (although this season it's become easier already even).

From your original OP, it is nice to see that you do not think that baseball is viable in America's 12th largest metro area (PHX), but even in the Mountain Time Zone. Apparently, you think that Denver does not deserve a team either. That is insane. So the Mountain time zone need to root for KC, LA/LAA, SF, or STL. That's a nice summer road trip.

I guess part of my problem w/teams in Arizona & Florida is the fact that they get Spring Training games. Until 1993, no teams existed in Florida, Colorado or Arizona. Arizona had financial problems back in '01, not a good thing, especially if Phoenix is such a huge market.

I realize that Colorado is a huge market. I am concerned about the World Series being played so very late. I remember Cleveland in '97 had some snow too. Seems odd doesn't it, that the more we hear about global warming, the more snow we have been seeing in April & November at Major League venues.

And yes, rain delays do happen, especially in April. It's just unfortunate that snow postpones games in October, during the post-season.

I believe snow delays in post-season are a legitimate concern, more than ever, especially since it seems the powers that be now want November baseball. Colorado, Cleveland, and next year, Minnesota too will be places of concern. I guess I prefered it when MLB had 24 - 26 teams. So many changes to the game that have not sat well with me. Couple this w/the terrible umpiring that's taken place in round 1, and it just leaves yet another bad taste in my mouth. I guess I'm older than my 42 years would suggest, stuck in my ways, resistant to all of these changes. I've always been that way, just seems I'm moreso the older I get.

I mean I'm sorry and all because my posts are kinda repetitive too but it seems I've read several tl;dr posts that end with like

it may seem drastic, but increased sodium levels in players' Gatorade has caused this "old salt" to give up for good.

or something.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived