Drawl Brawl 4 entry

9erssteve

Okay so I had been going to wait until the results had been announced but with over a week gone and still no word I decided to post my entry for C&C's before I started on something new and basically lost interest in it and moved on never to return as I'm prone to do.

Quick overview, having looked at the existing graphics, I couldn't help but feel the primary they have at the moment fails for two reasons, one the current gamecock has no flow, it's just to literal a representation to work as a logo, and two it has been paired with a block C that is so square and so rigid it only highlights the issues with the bird further. So the plan was to try to produce a single mark which was much cleaner and far more stylised that did both jobs, addition by reduction if you will.

With regard the team name, I though in light of the public out cry at Mike Vick's antics any association to blood sports was probably best avoided so any references to fighting spurs etc were intentionally left out. With the wordmark I wanted to imply Gamecocks even when one wasn't necessarily shown. A classic typeface was chosen as rightly or wrongly I feel (as an outsider) Carolina is one of the more historic areas of the US, and I wanted to reflect this. The font with it's feather like touches was chosen and adapted further, so that even when only two letters were used as in the baseball monogram the connection to gamecocks could still be made visually.

I would have loved to do uni's to go with the design but unfortunately I felt the template was just to small to display what was required to fulfil the brief at a size that would do it justice and still include extras, and it appears everyone else felt the same way too. I was gonna put something together for this thread but think I'll wait until I've had some feedback on the logos first then once happy with them produce the uniforms.

So there you have it, the slightly rambling thinkings behind my entry, all C&C's gratefully received. Thanks for viewing and thanks to those who voted for it.

DRAW_BRAWL_2009_CHALLENGE4.jpg

9erssteve

9ersstevesig.png

neither the logos, nor the wordmark need the 2/3 outlines.

i really believe it weakens a good logo to bury it under that many surrounding stokes.

the main logo is really nice, but your eye is drawn away from the great design by the bizarre negative spaces created by the wholly unnecessary grey.

the render is good, make sure that is the focus.

As a South Carolina fan, while it looks good, and in a lot of ways better than what we already have, I'm not sure how it'd translate to any uniforms or sports gear, and if we changed, I'd rather it be a simpler look, not an equally complex one.

barca.png

neither the logos, nor the wordmark need the 2/3 outlines.

i really believe it weakens a good logo to bury it under that many surrounding stokes.

the main logo is really nice, but your eye is drawn away from the great design by the bizarre negative spaces created by the wholly unnecessary grey.

the render is good, make sure that is the focus.

Thanks for the feedback. I totally agree coming back to it now after a week or more since the submission date I did go completely overboard with the outlines and should really go back and cut away all the unnecessary fat as it were.

Does anyone have anymore advice out there before I go make the first round of changes? And any ideas when the results from this round will be announced?

9erssteve

9ersstevesig.png

Archived