Who has the best mask?

kiwi_canadian

The answer is Chris Osgood. When you have some dopey overwrought self-aggrandizing airbrush-job on your face and you give up a bunch of goals, which you are eventually going to do no matter who you are, you look like a putz. Best to let your goaltending speak for itself.

That's why I'm a fan of simple, clean designs. Brodeur's was easily the best in the league, until he ruined it.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

#1, Batman. #2 Wolverine

The answer is Superman. When you have some dopey overwrought self-aggrandizing spandex-job on your face and you give up a criminal get away, which you are eventually going to do no matter who you are, you look like a putz. Best to let your crime-fighting speak for itself.

Too bad all the awesome designs don't exist anymore...

And goalies that used to have awesome designs now have inferior masks (i.e. Brodeur).

That's exactly what Luongo has done. He replaced this beautifull mask with a plain piece of crap. And I hate how a lot of goalies put RBK on the front of their helmets

And goalies that used to have awesome designs now have inferior masks (i.e. Brodeur).

That's exactly what Luongo has done. He replaced this beautifull mask with a plain piece of crap. And I hate how a lot of goalies put RBK on the front of their helmets

Personally, I think Luongo's retro mask is far superior to the cartoon lumber-jack mask. I like a cleaner look to masks. The RBK thing is lame, but thats sponsorship for you I guess.

Roberto does tend to use a few different masks, so I suppose its possible the cartoony one will return this year. He tried out a different retro one for a few games last year, but it didn't seem to last.

Personally, I think Luongo's retro mask is far superior to the cartoon lumber-jack mask. I like a cleaner look to masks. The RBK thing is lame, but thats sponsorship for you I guess.

Roberto does tend to use a few different masks, so I suppose its possible the cartoony one will return this year. He tried out a different retro one for a few games last year, but it didn't seem to last.

I agree. The more cartoony or airbrushed a design is the less I tend to like it. Luongo's previous Canucks mask designs were way to busy. That said I'm not really a fan of his "retro" mask. It has the right elements, I just think it needs more colour. Maybe a blue or green base.

Best mask all-time? No question. John Vanbiesbrouck, Panthers.

beezer_mask.gif

There's a good deal of truth to that. Which is why I voted for Clemmensen.

Well, on my third different PC I was finally able to view the gallery. For some reason I think it doesn't like the latest version of Flash Player. Anyways, I quite like Jimmy Howard's speedometer design, and Biron's new Isles mask.

And yeah, with masks, I prefer designs that are a little more iconic than "1980's Van" in their look. A lot of them are just a mish-mash of crap thrown together. I think a strong mask design is one that you can make out what it is from TV or from 10-20 feet away. Many of them are more "paintings on masks" instead of a unique visual identity for the player, which I guess is just a different approach.

And here's the best image I could find of Luongo's alternate retro mask that showed up briefly last year.

I agree. The more cartoony or airbrushed a design is the less I tend to like it. Luongo's previous Canucks mask designs were way to busy. That said I'm not really a fan of his "retro" mask. It has the right elements, I just think it needs more colour. Maybe a blue or green base.

Best mask all-time? No question. John Vanbiesbrouck, Panthers.

beezer_mask.gif

There's a good deal of truth to that. Which is why I voted for Clemmensen.

Exactly, which is why I voted for Clememsen AND use a beezer mask for hockey.

5cd0422806939bbe71c4668bc7e4fd92.gif

Next to all others, the simplicity of Clemmensen's is truly striking. I too voted for that. Although I have to admit that I kind of like how ugly and retarded Kiprusoff's mask is. "Let's put some flaming skulls on it and it will be SO cool!"

But my all-time favorite has to be this one:

hannu.jpg

#1, Batman. #2 Wolverine

The answer is Superman. When you have some dopey overwrought self-aggrandizing spandex-job on your face and you give up a criminal get away, which you are eventually going to do no matter who you are, you look like a putz. Best to let your crime-fighting speak for itself.

I'll admit you got me good here.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived