NFL Pants We Never See

dennisbergan

I also echo the sentiment that the Ravens should utilize an effect similar to that of the Jaguars.

Perhaps someone can whip up a Ravens concept exemplifying it?

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the ravens need to have the pant striping match that of the helmet, on both the black and white pants. two pointy stripes about 2 inches apart from each other...maybe even leave the B in there. a mock-up would probably do this better justice but i am way too lazy right now

Miami.png

being a dolphins fan, i would like to see them try to do something a little different...maybe orange pants....would definitely be interesting..and, i for one, wouldnt mind seeing orange socks used with both white and green pants..regardless of jersey color.

one of the major things that bugs me about the dolphins uniform is the fact that they have white lids. this means that they will look silly if they ever try to go color/color and not include white. its my pet peeve with the titans...their shoes and helmets are white, and doesn't flow well, especially when there is minimal light blue on it.

Miami.png

one of the major things that bugs me about the dolphins uniform is the fact that they have white lids. this means that they will look silly if they ever try to go color/color and not include white.

Precisely! Ths is why they should always wear white pants.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

1. I thought the Dolphins looked great when they went color on color. If anything, the fact that the helmet was white just made it more noticeable that they were doing something "different" for a game, which is kind of the point.

2. Ravens would look great in purple over black, just not those original black pants (or the current ones.) Also, I agree that their number font needs to go. Not sure that they would look right in a traditional block font, but there needs to be a better solution than the one they're using.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

one of the major things that bugs me about the dolphins uniform is the fact that they have white lids. this means that they will look silly if they ever try to go color/color and not include white.

Precisely! Ths is why they should always wear white pants.

People just don't use the word "precisely" enough any more.

By the way, I disagree. I'd much rather see a same color pants/jersey combo with a different helmet, than mono with all three... boring.

Ravens would look great in purple over black, just not those original black pants (or the current ones.) Also, I agree that their number font needs to go. Not sure that they would look right in a traditional block font, but there needs to be a better solution than the one they're using.

I'm thinking something along the lines of the Pirates' numbers, but thick and stout. I suppose they'd have to be white trimmed in purple and gold, since those colors would be pretty illegible.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

The Ravens font has grown on me. When teams started going away from the traditional block numbers i had a hard time adjusting to it. But i think it helps the teams identity. I think the ravens number font is the same as thier lettering. no?

iq5b7nF.png

Regarding the Patriots, A few years ago I had a discussion with their equipment manager about whether or not the team would ever wear silver pants with the white jerseys. He told me that they probably would not, because they don't think the combo looks all that great, and the players really like the navy pants.

Ravens with twin white stripe and logo at hip, new # font

245794.jpg

Triple stripe white pants with logo

84315128.jpg

I always favored this logo over the shield..just covers better in the area IMO

84315257.jpg

Old style wordmark

89635502.jpg

Eagles with ugly single stripe, no logo on jersey sleeve but on pants hip...Indy with nice looking blue FM

72497526.jpg

Interesting...wordmark was on a slant, sleeve stripe later regualted to cuff, white shoes and OMG Rickey Waters is wearing sleeves!

72319885.jpg

The Eagles old single stripe on the green pants was ugly, but I actually prefer it to the pointless charcole trim that was added.

I agree that the charcoal color was forced and I never did like how the stripes looked on the pants either time. I think it would have been better for them to use a metallic silver in the numbers/stripes like they used in the helmet and threading used in the embroidery of their sleeve logo. I might be the minority with this thought but I feel like teams that don't have helmet 'traditional' helmet stripes should get a pass for having none on their pants if updated in any way. Although I don't neccessarily hate the Rams' white or blue pants, I'll agree that gold is their traditional color and the lack of a stripe doesn't bother me because the gold pants compensate for their horns.

The Eagles can add black, charcoal and white to the pants and work it because of the wings on their helmet but their helmet like the Rams is unique as is the Vikings so if either were to have solid pants with just a hip logo, I wouldn't complain. IMO the majority of the helmet would be covered by a decal but allows the helmet to be more prominent to the design like the Redskins 'spear' throwback could work with either solid old gold or burgundy pants. Before their design travesty, I could dig the Jags when they wore black pants because it matched their helmet. The Patriots could have been another team but they allowed for their jersey theme to continue into the pants so that IMO gives them a pass!

In my mind, what makes the Eagles' color scheme ever worse, is not only have they inserted this unneccesary Charcoal, but they also use two different shades of Silver:

PhiladelphiaEagles_FRC_9999_SOL_SRG.png

IMO, they should get rid of the Charcoal, pick one Silver, and be done with it (like it was from 1996 through 2001).

In my mind, what makes the Eagles' color scheme ever worse, is not only have they inserted this unneccesary Charcoal, but they also use two different shades of Silver:

IMO, they should get rid of the Charcoal, pick one Silver, and be done with it (like it was from 1996 through 2001).

You mean 2002, right? IIRC, the charcoal debuted with the "new" uniforms when Lincoln Financial Field opened in 2003.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Re: BigDub

That '96 Eagles set was silly. Stripes on the white jerseys, but a logo on the greens? Triple stripe on the white pants, but single black with a logo on the green? Made little sense.

What is even sillier is how many times it was changed in the next couple of years. I'm not sure that a team could possibly change things up as much as they did in the current "RBK" era.

IIRC, in '97, they added the logo to the sleeve of the white jersey (and scrapped it from the pants), but still had white collar and cuffs. I think that they changed the green jersey to black collar and cuffs, but that may not have come until '98.

In '98, they added the black trim to the white jerseys.

I think that they were planning a change to the numbers on the green jersey for '99 - black numbers with white outline on green jersey - Madden actually picked this up and used it - but it was apparently scrapped (thank goodness.) Could have just been a mistake by Madden though.

Wordmark remained the slanted "baseball-style" mark until the redesign in '03.

Speaking of '03, I was psyched when they came out with this set. The wordmark looks better, the numbers look better, and the pants certainly look better. The asymmetrical-stripe pattern works really well for them.

While I agree that the charcoal isn't necessary, I don't think it comes off as dark as people seem to think, and it's pretty much just like a slightly darker silver. If they made it actual silver, then it'd be fine. I think that the standard home and road of '03 - present look far more professional than any of the combos of the '96 - '02 set.

Re: CWx

Thanks, wasn't sure what you meant.

Ravens with twin white stripe and logo at hip, new # font

245794.jpg

That is actually a triple stripe -- white/purple/white. I never really liked either of the Ravens' initial sets of black pants and was glad when they switched to white pants full time in 1998. I wish they would go back to that look.

I always favored this logo over the shield..just covers better in the area IMO

84315257.jpg

Agreed. I like the shield, but I love this logo on the sleeves.

For the record, count me among those who love the Ravens number font. If I have any beef about it, it is that the dropshadow gets lost on the purple jersey, so maybe a double outline would work better. However, I think the font itself is simple and crisp without looking ordinary.

EDIT -- My first version of this didn't make it very clear which parts were mine, did it?

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Regarding the Patriots, A few years ago I had a discussion with their equipment manager about whether or not the team would ever wear silver pants with the white jerseys. He told me that they probably would not, because they don't think the combo looks all that great, and the players really like the navy pants.

Bummer, I've always wanted to see that look. I really dislike the white on navy.

Just to put the pants with the comments from earlier, here are the Saints' various takes on black pants.

Their first pair. Talk about mismatched golds...good grief:

big_Archie%20Manning01.jpg

The Ricky/Ditka era...surely one of the wiiiiiiidest pants stripes ever worn:

ricky%20williams.jpg

And the current pair:

DrewBrees.jpg

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Archived