NFL Pants We Never See

dennisbergan

In fact, can anyone find a clear pic of the early-80s Baltimore Colts, the ones with the gray mixed into the road uniforms? I'd like to take a good look at those.

This isn't a photo, but here's a bad scan of a Style Guide sheet I have from that era:

IndianapolisColts_SG_edit_1986.jpg

The Gray was used from the last season or so in Baltimore, and continued into the first couple of seasons in Indy.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In fact, can anyone find a clear pic of the early-80s Baltimore Colts, the ones with the gray mixed into the road uniforms? I'd like to take a good look at those.

Y'mean deese ones?

81410251.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF1934B869679A269F9CC4EDB6D1BE858702626FD13ED7B73D4BC

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D

Looks like we'll see the Saints' black pants Monday night for the first time this season. From nola.com:

===

The Saints are expected to wear black jerseys and black pants Monday night against the Atlanta Falcons for the first time at home this season.

===

As I understand it, teams have to declare what they'll wear at home to the NFL before the season. Any deviation needs the opponents' approval. Seems odd to me that the Falcons would agree to that.

I don't believe that the pants are included in the pre-season declaration. I'm fairly certain it's just jerseys.

Doesn't matter in relation to my point, which is - psychologically speaking - why you would ever approve anything your rival wanted to do? Screw 'em! Ask yourself, why do the Saints want to wear all black? Because it's a special occasion, for intimidation, blah blah, whatever the reason, to me the Falcons should always say no if they have a choice. I'd same the same if the Falcons needed the Saints' approval to switch unis. You want to wear black? Sorry, you declared white, so wear your road uni.

But if the Falcons want to say ok, fine by me. As long as the Saints win they can wear pink cleats for all I care. Oh, wait... cool.gif

If they declared before the season that they were wearing their black jerseys for this game, why would Atlanta have to approve to anything?

It's not like they declare that white is their "home" uniform for all games. Several teams post their home-jersey schedule before the season starts, as it is a game-by-game thing. They just declare what they're wearing for each home game, not all home games.

Well, there's my malfunction. I thought they had to declare for the season. Does anybody know this for sure one way or the other?

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Ravens with twin white stripe and logo at hip, new # font

245794.jpg

I think these pants (at least stripe-wise) would look great with their roads. Maybe if they can replicate the stripe on the helmet (white-purple-white) (and with their current or this logo), then they would look great in my book.

Why they currently employ the 'B' bird head logo instead of that logo is beyond me. Even that swooping bird logo that they used to wear on the jersey sleeves would have worked better then what they have now. I just don't get it. They easily have one of the best color schemes in pro sport and they continue to screw it up. If they lightened up the purple just a smidge, utilized a bit more gold throughout the uniform, and changed the boring bird logo on their helmet they could possibly have one of the best identities in the league. As it stands now, they are way down there on MY list.

Agreed that the Ravens have the potential to be one of the league's best dressed teams, but as it stands now, they're one of the worst.

The B-Bird helmet logo is among the worst in the league, IMO. Not too sure what would be much better - maybe the shield that they currently wear on their sleeves? I don't think the spread-wing bird would look good on a helmet though.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

The B-bird is terrible because it's built around including the B, which only works one way, and requires redesigning the whole thing to stick it on the other side of the helmet. The shield, minus the word "Ravens," would be a superior helmet/primary logo, yes. I'm fine with a more abstract Maryland-first approach to a main logo, especially if it were paired with the colorflaked black we've been talking about which would effectively handle the "raven" part. Mildly Irritated Cartoony Bird's time has come and gone.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I'm actually in the process of "RGB-optimizing" the Ravens' original logo set. I'll cross-post them in a new thread here on this board, and on my blog.

I should have them ready in a few.

The B-bird is terrible because it's built around including the B, which only works one way, and requires redesigning the whole thing to stick it on the other side of the helmet. The shield, minus the word "Ravens," would be a superior helmet/primary logo, yes. I'm fine with a more abstract Maryland-first approach to a main logo, especially if it were paired with the colorflaked black we've been talking about which would effectively handle the "raven" part. Mildly Irritated Cartoony Bird's time has come and gone.

Thats exactly what I hate the most about the B-Bird logo. It kinda works on one side then totally sucks on the other side. Terrible!!!! Why would they even consider that????? I actually loved the original B-shield logo, but of course we all know what happened with that. They easily could have gone with another kind of B logo without having to incorporate a Raven head in it. I don't know why I get so worked up about this team's identity because I honestly could give a damn about the franchise. Its just my own selfish need to validate my artistic design opinions. I just whole heartedly think that they could look much better and it frustrates the hell out of me that it would be so damn easy for them to do so, yet they DON'T!!!! *slaps head*

I would like to see this on the Ravens' helmet....

http://www.sportslog...logo.php?id=311

I don't think a mascot facing directly out of the side of a helmet would look really good. If it was on a baseball cap then fine, but the side of a helmet should have a profile logo instead.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived