davidson

3D Rendered Helmet Tutorial

They look awesome, last one maybe looks a little purplish but other than that they look outstanding. The only question I've got is what happened to the jaw pad on the inside? I'm sure your earlier versions all had it in there.

9erssteve

yeah, i just forgot to turn the layer on i think.

i think i need to get accurate times for the different types of helmets.

do you guys know anywhere i could get a history and timeline of the history of helmet design?

Are these various facemask options going to be released like the other versions? LOVE THEM!!

(bow)(bow)(bow)

YES! Love these too!

What version of Photoshop does this use, because I have 5.0 and I cant't find anything about "channels"

probably CS or higher

I am using 7 and its fine. Also trying to learn Inkscape to use them there but haven't progressed far enough yet.

Thanks for the opening tutorial, davidson. I'm a very average Photoshop user, and this has given me some fun tonight

csuhelmetr.th.png

Even as nice as these look, there are too many innaccuracies with the facemasks and the helmet itself. The BT-5 (one bar) and BD-9 (two bar) facemasks are not rendered correctly and the placement is too far up on the helmet. The '80's version of the JOP facemask also isn't accurate. The helmet itself should be rendered in the era specific style - unlike the single style you currently have. HelmetHut is the best resource but I would suggest taking a look at as many era-specific pics as possible.Even the facemask clips have evolved through the years. I am willing to help you in any way I can to make these as accurate as possible.

yeah, im aware that these are approximations, its the generic look ive gone for. i dont have time to spend weeks modeling exact likenesses of helmets.

the idea was there to replace the helmets on the main pages which are all modern helmets.

perhaps the renders might not match the historicity of the designs exactly, but for the sake of the actual focus of them (the helmet logos and printed designs)

i thought they might suffice. the long and short of it is, i simply dont have the time to get the helmet clips down im afraid. i appreciate the offer tho.

Would love to add the various masks to your earlier template offerings Fraser, if possible. Do appreciate all of your effort and having the masks available will round out the package you have made available.

Not photoshop, but GIMP.... (permanent disability makes Photoshop too expensive, can't complain about GIMP...it's free).

For a FOF league I'm in, 1977 Houston Oilers...

creamers.jpg

The fuzz on the facemask disappears when I downsize them to sig or avatar size, so the one step I couldn't duplicate in Gimp (RBG Mask) didn't seem to bother me much.

Thanks for this... a great tutorial and template...

Not photoshop, but GIMP.... (permanent disability makes Photoshop too expensive, can't complain about GIMP...it's free).

For a FOF league I'm in, 1977 Houston Oilers...

creamers.jpg

The fuzz on the facemask disappears when I downsize them to sig or avatar size, so the one step I couldn't duplicate in Gimp (RBG Mask) didn't seem to bother me much.

Thanks for this... a great tutorial and template...

you ned to render the image flat first, the downscale it.

righto,

for those of you who have messaged me about releasing the historical templates:

1990s

1980s

1970s

1960s

1950s

in psd format for ease of use.

These files are 500x450; is there anyway you could produce a larger image like your original? thicon_biggrin.gif

righto,

for those of you who have messaged me about releasing the historical templates:

1990s

1980s

1970s

1960s

1950s

in psd format for ease of use.

These files are 500x450; is there anyway you could produce a larger image like your original? thicon_biggrin.gif

'fraid not. these are as big as they will come for the foreseeable future im afraid.