3D Rendered Helmet Tutorial

Davidson

I just started. I figured with there being so many deer here in Utah, why not try a helmet that uses the antlers like the Rams use their horns or Eagles with their wings? I wanted to keep orange in the mix, because orange is the color that is worn during (rifle) deer hunts here. The other color is brown, being, well, a typical color for deer. I wanted to capture the rustic feel of fall as well, and orange and brown work there, too. Without further ado, here's my helmet:

[EDIT: Photos don't exist anymore.]

Keep in mind that these both aren't quite perfect.

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 759
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hi men im new i just discovered this great forum.....anyway...i cant understand the 6 point: copy mask. How i could copy mask? i have at this moment two documents: 1) tre layers in a folder as tutorial said 2)open layer mask. Now ho copy the mask? :blink: thanks for any help. i wait ur help :grin:

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Okay, I have followed the tutorial step by step, but I can't seem to get the render to get rid of the rough edges, I seem to be messing up somewhere during this step below.

"once you have done that you should start to see the semblance of a 3d helmet. however we need to create an alpha channel to separate the helmet from the background and get rid of the scraggy edges. the next bit is slightly tricky. it goes as follows."

Mine comes out still with a black background and the rough edges still in place. Where am I messing up? I am using the SIDE VIEW helmet at this time.

I am pretty new at photoshop so I am not totally familiar with all of the controls.

I'm having issues getting the logo to bend correctly..currently I'm using the Filter<Distort<Spherize method is PS but it's just not giving it the right affect. I've tried the Fish eye technique in Illustrator but it gives my logo a white background and I can't work with the helmet in AI when it's not in PSD format. What do you guys think?

rattlers.png

Davidson "Large & In Charge"

I have used your football helmet templates for fantasy football. You really did a great job setting them up for all of us to have fun with.

I was wondering... I'm a Formula One fan. Is there any way I could take a jpeg of a white drivers helmet and make a template as you have?

Any help would be appreciated. I have used all your helmet templates in photoshop.

Thanks

i think there are pretty clear instructions at the beginning of the thread as to how to go about making something like that, its not tricky, you just need a few different photoshop layers of the same image transfered in differing ways.

Here's my first crack at this. Constructive criticism is welcome!! I couldn't figure out how to make the logo wrap correctly so it looks sort of flat. And I definitely couldn't get the appearance of label edges around the logo. :wacko:

But I'll keep trying this until I get it right!

Dirty1.jpg

Archived