3D Rendered Helmet Tutorial

Davidson

• Replies 759
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My first attempt and getting this template down.

Just trying this with gimp since I'm poor and don't have photoshop. I've got to layering up the files, but can't figure out how to get the folder portion. So I guess I've gotten to step 2 and trying to bypass step 3 with the folder portion screws it up. I've checked my channels and right now I have:

Red

Green

Blue

Alpha

I'm sure it's something simple, but for whatever reason, I'm at a loss. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Well, it took me a little while to figure it out, but think I finally got it down. A little late to try drawing stripes, so I went with a team I created for NCAA 10/11. The Mount Shasta Runnin' Royals. I love the midnight purple color!!

shasta3dhelmet1stattemp.png

Not bad for my first attempt.

This is very addicting!! :)

Thanks for the templates!!

Here's a couple more. I took a photo of the Golden Gate Bridge and put it behind the "49" oval. It's not my 49 oval template, it's credit goes to guys on EASports Teambuilder logos thread. I just deleted the drop shadows and added my own unique oval with white drop shadow. Had one with a gray face mask but it won't upload. Anyway here's the gold face mask.

49erscocept45.png

Valley Christian Warriors (San Jose, CA)

valleychristiansj.png

Bellarmine Bells (Bellarmine College Prep, San Jose, CA)

bellarminebells.png

Pava: Thanks. Actually the Valley Christian helmet and Bellarmine helmets are real high schools here in California and they are there real helmets. A lot of high schools in the San Jose/SF Bay Area use the oval and letter on their helmets b/c the SF49ers are in the region and their "SF" oval logo. VC and Bellarmine are part of the West Catholic Athletic League in San Jose's CCS section.

I had a friend that went to Bellarmine a while back and I used to joke with him about his teams name - the Bells and how anyone can be scared of a Bell. I do like Bellarmine's colors and uniforms more than I do their helmet, but they've had that B and oval for years.

VC's helmet is not an exact replica, but close.

That 49ers helmet is a logo and photograph merged that I actually came up with mid design. Though I can't take credit for the photo or logo. THe photo was found online and the logo was a creation by someone else. But I really think it looks cool. Mayvbe I create the Gold helmet with the same logo just switch the colors around. If I get time this weekend I might try some more. but here's my Sharks helmet. Got lazy and kept the hockey stick in the logo.

sjsharks29.png

and the St.Louis Cardinals concept.

stlcardinals.png

My Sharks concept looks pretty cool except the striping is bugging me. I can't seem to get straight lines going. If anyone else on here uses GIMP and knows how to draw the lines and then get them to curve please let me know. I have some other HS teams that I want to create but the striping on some of them seems complex. I know one California school uses the hawaii striping I think it's the Triangles inside the two thin white lines striping. IMy favorite angle is the perspective angle. Anyway thanks for any help you can provide.

Second - and this is for sheer fun and trial and error, but I am wanting to add a visor to the helmet and have tried a few things, but can't seem to get the render to work. I tried creating one on it's own layer, but when I merge down everything I do just shows up clear regardless of what I do. What layer would put the visor when I'm done creating it. I'm trying to create the mirrored orange tinted visor - I think Madden has it the game, it might be called Amber.

Again not exactly too sure how I completed this phase, well I have a general idea, but that being said it took me a day and a half through trial and error on how to get the visor to stick. I attached it to the Highlight layer and then filled the visor section on the color layer with black. As for the rrainobw reflection effect that's pretty simple. I made a separate layer with just the visor and used GIMP's "Filters" Basically you go:

Filters

-> Render

-> Clouds

->Plasma

Once inside Plasma I started with Random Seed at 0 and Turbulence at 0.1 and moved the Random Seed up to my liking. The lighting is a combination consisting of a little lens flare - very minimal and Lighting effect on the bottom of the visor.

I just realized I forgot to curve it so the edges align, but oh well it's a start and I'm by no means a professional at this stuff. I did manage to create template and was able to save it as a psd file and will try to post it this weekend if anyone wants it. I might try the Amber tint and smoke tints later and if I get them going I'll be sure to post them.

templatefrontvisor529.png

Can someone please tell me, or point me in the right direction, on how to add the metal flake look to the helmet like most NFL and NCAA teams have gone to? Thanks.

Just add some Filter > Noise. Use a small percentage, to add/subtle the metal effect...

Yep. That's pretty much how you do it. I wanted to try and get that look on the perspective angle, but I screwed up on the settings and my visor looked ugly - got frustrated with it, so gave up last week. Been sick all weekend maybe will try it tomorrow if I get time.

What do you think??

The text could be better, but not a bad concept overall.

Facebook: CustomSportsCovers Twitter: CSCovers

No because when the Irish came to Ireland and first came in contact with the leprechaun people, they didn't take their land away and force them to move west. Instead, the two groups learned to assimilate peacefully. However, certain tribes of the leprechaun refused to taint the pure blood and moved north into the forests of Ireland, only to be seen rarely, usually at the same time of a rainbows appearance and occasionally at the factories of Lucky Charms.

What do you think??

The text could be better, but not a bad concept overall.

Any suggestions? I am new to the concepts and not very skilled at picking fonts that fit best. I am also thinking about adding a banner or something similar to signify what game we are playing i.e. "Homecoming", "Senior Night", etc. Any suggestions?? I am going to start a new thread for my concept so I don't continue to hijack this thread.

"Roll Along"

Here's a quick helmet with the metal/flake visor. Had a little too much noise, but I still like it. I'll see what else I can come up with after the game tonight!!

templatefrontflakecloud.png

dhamen0420: Concept looks pretty good, but hard to see the face mask of the helmet on the left. The bottom background is a little dark. Lighten that up a bit and it looks pretty good.

Archived