3D Rendered Helmet Tutorial

Davidson

3 of my helmets:

Where I went to high school in Kanab, UT:

Red Star

5368774306_221471f98a.jpg

White Star

5368774318_7f17e66b07.jpg

Thought that I would do something I don't think I've seen other people do in HS Football, at least in Utah: Use a Gun-Metal Gray. The helmet stripes are a little exaggerated.

Baltimore Ravens--Black with Purple Sheen:

5368779068_aef67c8904.jpg

Since many people asked for it, I thought I'd try it. White laced in gold stripes flank either side of a single black stripe (ala the Colts and Raiders) that goes all the way to the back. If there's any team that can does sublety well, it's the Ravens.

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396

• Replies 759
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's another question: Is there a way to make a Jaguars-like sparkling effect (little or no light means a dark color like black, considerable light yields teal)?

Jaguars-Helmet.jpg

--EDIT--

I think I found it. However, how do you get rid of the black background and make it white, especially with some dark colors being used for the helmet?

I dont understand how your background is black. you must have missed a step or messed up the masking...

please explain how you are getting the stripe. Is it in the template ...

Great work tand Thank You

cowboys.png

Okay what did you do to get the image up. I'm afraid I don't know a thing about forums and blogs so when i tired to upload all it showed was the link. BTW you rock! This is an unbelievable template, I had to use paint shop pro to manipulate it, I know next to nothing about photo shop.

I'm having issues getting the logo to bend correctly..currently I'm using the Filter<Distort<Spherize method is PS but it's just not giving it the right affect. I've tried the Fish eye technique in Illustrator but it gives my logo a white background and I can't work with the helmet in AI when it's not in PSD format. What do you guys think?

rattlers.png

My computer crashed awhile ago and I lost everything....does anyone have this Jersey stock that I used in the BG, or something like it? Thanks.

howdy gang,

well, ive been playing about with the renders for the 3d helmets ive been making and i have created a quick tutorial so that you can build your 3d helmet in photoshop.

i could just upload the file (and i will if i can remember my deviant art logo in as i think deviant art takes psd files?) but i thought i would post all the files and give you a step by step so you can build your own. hopefully this will be a little educational and give some of the less experienced guys a quick run through of some of the ps mask and layer functionality. there is also an added bonus that should people want different angles, i can just burn out a quick render of the 4 layers needed, and you can slap together your own custom template in about 5 minutes.

thats right, who loves you? right, down to business.

3D FOOTBALL HELMET TUTORIAL

1. open the following files in photoshop.

TEMPLATE_perspective_ColourDesign.png

TEMPLATE_perspective_Lowlights.png

TEMPLATE_perspective_Highlights.png

TEMPLATE_perspective_Mask.png

2. layer them up in photoshop as shown here (dont worry if you dont recognise the mask layer, i will get to that).

some of the edges will look a bit funky at the moment, this is called 'straight' matting as opposed to 'premultiplied' matting and will be sorted out with the masking.

LayerSetup.png

3. each layer requires a different transfer mode (the way in which each layer interacts with the others. the transfer layer is the little scroll menu at the top of the 'layer' console (above).

the settings are as follows:

ColourDesign - normal

Lowlights - multiply

Highlights - screen

once you have done this. create a folder and place all these files inside it.

How do you layer it up?

howdy gang,

well, ive been playing about with the renders for the 3d helmets ive been making and i have created a quick tutorial so that you can build your 3d helmet in photoshop.

i could just upload the file (and i will if i can remember my deviant art logo in as i think deviant art takes psd files?) but i thought i would post all the files and give you a step by step so you can build your own. hopefully this will be a little educational and give some of the less experienced guys a quick run through of some of the ps mask and layer functionality. there is also an added bonus that should people want different angles, i can just burn out a quick render of the 4 layers needed, and you can slap together your own custom template in about 5 minutes.

thats right, who loves you? right, down to business.

3D FOOTBALL HELMET TUTORIAL

1. open the following files in photoshop.

TEMPLATE_perspective_ColourDesign.png

TEMPLATE_perspective_Lowlights.png

TEMPLATE_perspective_Highlights.png

TEMPLATE_perspective_Mask.png

2. layer them up in photoshop as shown here (dont worry if you dont recognise the mask layer, i will get to that).

some of the edges will look a bit funky at the moment, this is called 'straight' matting as opposed to 'premultiplied' matting and will be sorted out with the masking.

LayerSetup.png

3. each layer requires a different transfer mode (the way in which each layer interacts with the others. the transfer layer is the little scroll menu at the top of the 'layer' console (above).

the settings are as follows:

ColourDesign - normal

Lowlights - multiply

Highlights - screen

once you have done this. create a folder and place all these files inside it.

How do you layer it up?

Um... you just posted how? Theres even a picture.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm looking to print something like this out at a pretty good size for my buddy who is a football coach. Who has the largest, most high-res templates? These are all great for the web, but I don't know if I've seen any that will hold up printed at larger sizes. Thanks!

2009fb.png

• 4 weeks later...

and here are a couple of ideas i bashed up super quick and which will give you an idea of what sort of thing you can do.

enjoy.

fd

COMPLEX_Test_Broncos.png

WOW, The broncos came out sweet. How do you get that jersey pattern like that in the background. I've been trying everything and can't figure it out. Thanks

• 1 month later...

Slightly different revolution template coming soon.

Okay guys, I got hold of another Revolution helmet, which seems slightly better in some ways. Here is what I'm working.

RevolutionTemplate.png

This design is awesome! When can we expect this new design? Working on some new helmets for 2011 season.

Thanks for all the hard work on these!

Archived