3D Rendered Helmet Tutorial

Davidson

This is great. I'm going to download this as soon as I get back on the computer.

Nice logo. You working on a West Jeff rebrand?

Thanks I was hoping to help some.

I went to a High School in Haughton, Louisiana (Haughton High), the Buccaneer logo was our mascot, but I guess West Jefferson HS would work too since they have the same mascot. I used to live in Harvey, LA so id be down to let them use it as well....

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 759
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know I'm extremely late on this. But I wonder if templates like these could be made for baseball helmets. If someone has those could they please share? I've been looking everywhere for them!

There was this one from JayJaxon. Click the image for the link:

Baseball_Helmet_Template_by_JayJaxon.png

UBI FIDES IBI LUX ET ROBUR

• 1 month later...

Principally, I would like to thank Davidson for this post.

I do have a question. How are various parts, such as helmet, face mask, facemask clips, colored in Photoshop (CS 5)? I've tried NEW FILL LAYER -> SOLID COLOR and a LAYER MASK using the SELECTION -? COLOR RANGE on the original TEMPLATE_COLOR layer, but I see remnants of the original (TEMPLATE_COLOR) layer on the edges where the new SOLID COLOR layers meet. Specifically, along the top/side edge of the facemask.

Thanks in advance.

Principally, I would like to thank Davidson for this post.

I do have a question. How are various parts, such as helmet, face mask, facemask clips, colored in Photoshop (CS 5)? I've tried NEW FILL LAYER -> SOLID COLOR and a LAYER MASK using the SELECTION -? COLOR RANGE on the original TEMPLATE_COLOR layer, but I see remnants of the original (TEMPLATE_COLOR) layer on the edges where the new SOLID COLOR layers meet. Specifically, along the top/side edge of the facemask.

Thanks in advance.

Anyone?

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone here know how to get this color & texture for the new Notre Dame helmets? I use Photoshop CS5. I tried different colors and gold gradients and add noise to the helmet but I can't seem to get the right combination. Any tips & info would be great.

newndhelmetportraitdram.png

Nivrag69 did pretty good, but like he said, not exact - decided it was a good challenge. So far messing around in gimp, my first attempt is close to niv's version. Though I know there's a way to create more of a brushed metal look. So far I'm wondering if it has to do with beveling the noise layers.

Okay, so after a about an hour or so, here's a what I've come up with:

Using niv's updated template for the revo helmet, I found a particular gold that I liked and that was close to ND's gold as possible. Adding two more helmet color layers, one a dark gold, and one slightly lighter than the layer before. Then I took a gold foil texture (credit: aplantage - deviant art) and then added some noise layers. Then messed with the layer modes and opacity on each layer until I got the effect looking similar.

ND3dHelmetTest3_zpscf3261ac.png

• 1 month later...

I am having troubles doing this tutorial in GIMP 2. I can get the layers in but I can't seem to get the masking right in order to remove the background and fix the scraggly edges. Any tips from Gimp users? Or possibly just a little guidance. Thanks! Love the design.

• 3 weeks later...

I am having troubles doing this tutorial in GIMP 2. I can get the layers in but I can't seem to get the masking right in order to remove the background and fix the scraggly edges. Any tips from Gimp users? Or possibly just a little guidance. Thanks! Love the design.

Without seeing what you are working on, it's hard to give correct feedback, so all I can offer is suggestions, but as someone who has used gimp for a number of years, you can try this:

When you get your layer background transparent:

Keep in mind this step doesn't make it perfectly smooth, but it usually does help in smoothing out really jagged edges.

- Alpha to Selection (Menu --> Layers --> Transparency --> Alpha to Selection)

- Shrink by 2 pixels

-Invert Selection

-Gaussian Blur by 5 pixels.

-Go to Colors --> Curves and change Channel to "Alpha" then drag the top dot to just past the third line, and bottom dot past the third line so the line is a like a long skinny Z type line.

You can also shrink by 3 or more if you need extra, but make sure to adjust your blur to compensate for the additional shrinking. I tend to use

Another way is before you remove the background, on the black background/white is to blur that layer by 16, then go to Colors --> Levels and move the outer arrows to the center. This also smooths out the edges. (If you want to bevel the edges, add a light blur, around 7-8 pixels). Then to remove the background, use your "Select by Color" tool, set the FG color to white and BG to Black and click anywhere in the black, invert the selection and then go to edit --> Clear.

As for the order, haven't really done it that way in a long time, which helmet type are you using? I can see if I have it in my files or download it and try it and see If I get the same result.

I've also been working on trying to get the "Chrome reflection" helmets that a lot of College teams are wearing like Oregon's wing chrome logo, and Washington Huskies Gold Chrome. Like this:

LogoUWhelmet.jpg

Can't seem to get the effect all that close. Missing something. I am get a metallic look, but not the "mirrored chrome" look that I'd like.I've tried all layer modes, and everything I can think of, but nothing seems to get the effect I want. Anyway here's what it looks like so far:

ChromeHelmetCC12_zps8172529f.png

Without seeing what you are working on, it's hard to give correct feedback, so all I can offer is suggestions, but as someone who has used gimp for a number of years, you can try this:

When you get your layer background transparent:

Keep in mind this step doesn't make it perfectly smooth, but it usually does help in smoothing out really jagged edges.

- Alpha to Selection (Menu --> Layers --> Transparency --> Alpha to Selection)

- Shrink by 2 pixels

-Invert Selection

-Gaussian Blur by 5 pixels.

-Go to Colors --> Curves and change Channel to "Alpha" then drag the top dot to just past the third line, and bottom dot past the third line so the line is a like a long skinny "Z" (See image below).

You can also shrink by 3 or more if you need extra, but make sure to adjust your blur to compensate for the additional shrinking. I tend to use

Another way is before you remove the background, on the black background/white is to blur that layer by 16, then go to Colors --> Levels and move the outer arrows to the center. This also smooths out the edges. (If you want to bevel the edges, add a light blur, around 7-8 pixels). Then to remove the background, use your "Select by Color" tool, set the FG color to white and BG to Black and click anywhere in the black, invert the selection and then go to edit --> Clear.

As for the order, haven't really done it that way in a long time, which helmet type are you using? I can see if I have it in my files or download it and try it and see If I get the same result.

I've also been working on trying to get the "Chrome reflection" helmets that a lot of College teams are wearing like Oregon's wing chrome logo, and Washington Huskies Gold Chrome. Like this:

LogoUWhelmet.jpg

Can't seem to get the effect all that close. Missing something. I am get a metallic look, but not the "mirrored chrome" look that I'd like.I've tried all layer modes, and everything I can think of, but nothing seems to get the effect I want. Anyway here's what it looks like so far:

ChromeHelmetCC12_zps8172529f.png

How did you get this effect???

FSUfan: For the Washington helmet, I used two plugins on gimp. One is the Script-Fu layers plugin and there's a "Chrome Image" under effects. Also another plugin for gimp called G'MIC, which has a huge array of options where there's a "Metallic Look" under it's Colors section. Then just changed the layer mode to the desired look, usually grain extract, grain merge. These are two of four or five different ways to do this. Another is to use curves. Once you get the "chrome layer" they way you want it, with the Davidson template I'm using, you just change the layer mode and opacity on the shine layers.

I'll see if I can post some more helmets soon.

If you want a chrome effect, you'll need to add a layer. You cant achieve a reflection with the layers provided, you need more information.

I would suggest just finding a simple chrome orb photo like that used below and placing it in the helmet colour layer using an overlay transfer mode.

Probably works well enough.

Chrome1.png

If you want a chrome effect, you'll need to add a layer. You cant achieve a reflection with the layers provided, you need more information.

I would suggest just finding a simple chrome orb photo like that used below and placing it in the helmet colour layer using an overlay transfer mode.

Probably works well enough.

Chrome1.png

Sweet Thanks. I'll give that a try. I was able to duplicate the shine layers, sans face masks and with their mode to Grain Merge/extract along with my metallic look plugin and got the following results, but was still something a miss. Not sure why I didn't think of a chrome overlay...

HukiesUDubChrome_zpseee3e24c.png

Archived