davidson

3D Rendered Helmet Tutorial

4053635041_c948c9b6eb_o.jpg

This is my first ever attempt. I am gonna kept trying. What do you all think?

Looks like you are putting your stickers on the wrong layer, they look like they are below a layer of varnish.

also, you need to select the red area before you do the noise for the metallic look, because now it is on the white plastic parts.

here is my new wallpaper..i plan to update this each week depending on who the Ravens play. thanks for the template!

helmetmatchup.png

Looks like you are putting your stickers on the wrong layer, they look like they are below a layer of varnish.

also, you need to select the red area before you do the noise for the metallic look, because now it is on the white plastic parts.

Thanks, I will keep working on it

here is my new wallpaper..i plan to update this each week depending on who the Ravens play. thanks for the template!

helmetmatchup.png

Could you duplicate the text layer, style in white glow, put it as the lower text layer, then drop shadow the top layer? Will help the text top pop.

...is there an overlay or pixel padding option to select outside of the normal selection a few more pixels? I consider myself a photoshop novice, so your help is appreciated! thanks man,

Yes, after making your selection with the Magic Wand, Go to Select -> Modify -> Expand, then input the number of pixels to expand your selection.

The opposite is Select -> Modify -> Contract, to reduce the selection by the number of pixels entered!

Looks like you used either an outer glow or shadow on the decal and stripe. Looking like they float over the helmet slightly.

Try this:

What I do, is with the decal on its own layer, I select of blank area outside the shape of the art, invert my selection (art is now selected)

Select -> Modify -> Expand the selection by about 6 pixels. Create a new layer, fill the highlighted area with any color.

Finally Bevel/Emboss this layer but making sure you reduce the Fill Opacity to 0%.

This makes a good decal outline.

The B on the Raven's head is backwards.

i know the B is backwards..couldnt find the correct logo to put on that side of helmet

Davidson, have you approached Chris about possibly having these helmets made for the site? I'm sure if someone came up with accurate renditions, they would be a great addition to the site, especially on a college level...

haha. ill check my diary for a spare three months.

seriously tho, the point of the template is that anyone can do it.

im happy to produce something specifically for this purpose. perhaps a gang of people could attack all of the football helmets?

fd

Davidson, you said you purchased this helmet for around $80. What other options are out there for you to purchase, if you ever wanted to do so?

yeah it was 80 bucks.

ive no idea what else there is. i dont think ill be buying any more bits like this to be honest.

yeah it was 80 bucks.

ive no idea what else there is. i dont think ill be buying any more bits like this to be honest.

So where did you buy it from and what program is it for again?

from turbosquid and its for cinema 4d.

Do you think that same 3d football model would work in After Effects?