Nets to Newark Likely

njmeadowlanders

So the buzz 'round these parts the past couple of days (you know, besides that whole Yankees being one-win from the World Series thing) is that the Nets will move to Newark for at least a couple of seasons so long as the NJSEA waives a $8 Million penalty for leaving the IZOD Center. It was inevitable, and while there is a new rail link to the Meadowlands from Secaucus, The Prudential Center is only a couple of blocks from the more-convienient for most travelers Newark Penn Station, and obviously is leaps and bounds nicer. As more and more hurdles are in the way of the Brooklyn Project, I wouldn't be surprised to see them settle there, which is a shame, because they had a chance to be partners with the Devils. Instead, they'll be the second fiddle there.

http://www.nj.com/nets/index.ssf/2009/10/nj_nets_warming_to_the_idea_of.html

The agreement would also make the Prudential Center the "Sports" venue while the Meadowlands would serve as the "Shows" venue.

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

I remember reading a column about how insulting it was to demote the Barclays project from a Frank Gehry design to "a mere fieldhouse" or some verbiage like that. Come on, guys, get over yourselves; it's an arena for the goddamn Nets. Still hoping they restore the cool old "New York Nets" moniker and achieve MetJetNet harmony, which obviously won't happen if they move to Newark, so.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

One of the bigger hurdles to the Brooklyn arena will most likely be decided on soon with the New York Court of Appeals recently having heard arguments on whether the state can use eminent domain to take the land for the surrounding development. I'd love to see a team move to Brooklyn in my lifetime but I'm also not holding my breath.

It doen't mean a lot to me that they move to Brooklyn because the "Brooklyn" we romanticize so doesn't really exist anymore. It'd just be another New York team.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

One of the bigger hurdles to the Brooklyn arena will most likely be decided on soon with the New York Court of Appeals recently having heard arguments on whether the state can use eminent domain to take the land for the surrounding development. I'd love to see a team move to Brooklyn in my lifetime but I'm also not holding my breath.

There were two suits filed this week against the Atlantic Yards project.

Nets project on Fieldofschemes.com

While one is reading this or the STL rams, or NYI threads, if you would really like to contribute something with a da*n, look at this site, please. Otherwise, you are REALLY talking fantasy or out of your a$$. Gehry quit the project nearly a year ago.

There were two suits filed this week against the Atlantic Yards project.

Nets project on Fieldofschemes.com

While one is reading this or the STL rams, or NYI threads, if you would really like to contribute something with a da*n, look at this site, please. Otherwise, you are REALLY talking fantasy or out of your a$$. Gehry quit the project nearly a year ago.

However, the biggest issue is the eminent domain problem which is what the Court of Appeals heard arguments on last week. Once the court rules on this a lot of the other issues will find a way to iron themselves out. For example if the court rules that eminent domain can't be used to obtain the outside property you'll find those other two lawsuits will just fall away. The two most recent suits appear to me to be a case of let's throw whatever claim we think we can at the wall and see if they stick. I don't disagree with the strategy and if I were on that side of the issue I'd be doing the exact same thing. I also don't need to read that website to write factually as to the NYI issues. I think my posts in that thread attest to that. B)

Archived