ANOTHER Uniform Violation Costs Team Championship

leopard88

Well in the stupid rule that is selectively enforced department. This weekend my son's 7-8 fall baseball team had the first round of the season ending tournament. The catcher on his team is a girl and after the first pitch the ump declared she could not catch until she had the "proper" safety equipment. Yea a 7 year old girl is by rule required to wear a cup in Cal Ripken League play. She caught about half the games and was never asked or "checked" and we had this ump 3 times during the season. Well she had to swap positions and her dad went to the local store to get a cup for a girl. Now, not even women that play fast pitch softball are required to have a "protective device" in that area and that ball is coming in a lot faster than a 8 year old pitching. Well the last laugh came from the manager who then asked the home plate ump if he was wearing a protective device as required by league bylaw. (This is in there because we often have older teens umping) Well this guy was like 55, looked at the manager like he had 3 heads...and then conferred with the field ump. And they changed positions.

The point of this ramble is I think the lawyers are writing some of these rules and there are people in "power" that want to become bigger than the event they are in charge of officiating.

pissinonbobsmall.jpg

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

P. J. O'Rourke

In amateur sport, all of these rules are pointless. There are no sponsors to be protected, and this isn't swimming where you have performance enhancing garments. The administrators should think themselves lucky the kids are turning up and competing! It's hard enough to drag kids away from a PS or XBox without actively turning them away because the stitching on their shorts is the wrong colour.

In a soccer game this year I had to hitch up my compression shorts because they were too visible beneath my shorts despite being the same plain black colour. The referee even said "they just have to be like that to start. If they come down later it doesn't matter." Now I can understand that long pants aren't allowed so you can't wear full length compression leggings but as long as you can see separation between the socks and the shorts, and the colour matches so you are in uniform what's the problem?

liverpool-1.png

Archived