NBA Season Thread

Gary

• Replies 707
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lebron announced that he's changing his number next season from 23 to 6... but is not sure what jersey it'll be on.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I assume you're hoping that he signs with the Heat. I can't imagine what other team would have reason to retire his number...

yeah, I know. I know.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I agree its way to early, a coach in the NBA should not be fired until at least 20 games. If they had their doubts about him then they should have started the season with a new coach.

Here is something that doesn't happen everyday. I completely agree with Tank. Either a coach is the guy, or not. Any new guy coming in is gonna need time to bed in there ideas and tactics and training rituals. It also means that you have to (usually) appoint a temporary guy for most of the season until you can actually perform a proper coaching search, or just full time make do with a not so fantastic coach. Thats all fine if your team is out of touch already, but if your team still has a chance it seems mad to me. Especially when your team has only just made a big move, like the one the Hornets did for Okeafor.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

So it seems(as of now) that LeBron James will be switching his jersey number to #6 next season. I read the article on the Fanhouse website(link below). He will be doing so in respect to Michael Jordan, he also feels that every other player in the league should do the same. I wonder if David Stern would consider retiring #23 throughout the entire league someday?

http://nba.fanhouse.com/2009/11/13/lebron-to-switch-jersey-numbers-out-of-respect-for-jordan/

alkaline-trio_logo-with-heart.jpg

I don't think that's necessary. Leaguewide mandatory number retirements are stupid. 23 is too a common a number to take away from everyone in the league. Retiring 99 is different, because nobody really wore 99 except Gretz.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I watched the Lebron number thing, and my only question is: Why now? If he respects Mike that much, why did it take him 7 years to figure out not to use "mj's number"

Seems like he just said that on the spot, without really thinking about it.

Because 7 years ago, he wasn't thinking he'd pass Jordan statistically, and was much less concerned about "building his brand".

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

It's all about jersey sales. Why get a boring Cavs #23 jersey when you can get a Cavs (or Knicks) #6 jersey instead?

Holy crap, the Hawks beat the Celtics....in Boston...on national television....by double-digits. Go Hawks!

IIRC, they hadn't beat the Celtics in Boston since before KG & Ray Allen got there, which was 2007. (January 24th, 2007 to be exact.)

The Hawks treated this like a measuring stick game and did MUCH better in this one than they did in their first 2 measuring stick games (the debacle at Orlando during the preseason and the blowout that wasn't in Los Angeles.).

But this was an impressive win because I've always felt that it would only be a matter of time before the Hawks turned the corner when it came to the Celtics, and they damn sure did it. Never thought that they'd do it on the road, but they did that too. They really made the C's look their age at times, and I can't believe I'm saying this but the Hawks absolutely dominated the Celtics on the boards. It was crazy, but it happened.

I still think that they're going to finish 4th best in the East this season, but they're gonna be MUCH closer to the Top 3 than most people figure. You can already tell that this team is much deeper, mentally tougher, and just all-around better than the 08-09 version of the Hawks. They just keep getting better with time.

But I will say this: The Celtics got outcoached in this one, and that's honestly not a compliment of Mike Woodson. The C's never took advantage of any mismatches that they had. The biggest one being whenever Bibby was on the floor. Bibby is as good as a turnstile on defense at this point in his career. Did Rivers have Rondo attack him? Probably twice the entire game. Hell, KG backed down Bibby twice in that game in the post, and twice KG passed the ball. Made absolutely no sense.

Are the Suns overated?

No, they are a good team with good players. I think they're underrated as no one gave them their due. Will they be Pacific Division Champions? I don't see it at the moment, but right now we're way too young to worry about who's going to be atop the standings. When we're 40 games in, I think that is when we can say if the Suns are over rated or they are on top of the game

So, Bucks rookie PG Brandon Jennings :censored:ed around and dropped a double nickel (that's 55 points) on the Warriors tonight without even scoring in the first quarter. WOW. He's really been fantastic thus far. A nice surprise for sure.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

I know one thing, I'm pleasantly shocked. I was just hoping he wouldn't suck. 7th damn game in the NBA and he goes and breaks the Bucks' rookie points record (held by none other than one Lew Alcindor). I mean :censored:, the majority of yall are gonna see the highlights. Watching the live broadcast kicked ass, and judging by the BC going ape :censored:, it was even better than that live. Heh, I haven't heard a Bucks crowd that alive on a near-nightly basis since TJ was throwing oops to D-Mase.

heh, by this time next year, the whole damn country will know Brad Jennings' name (the opening night intros were sorta weird. hence "Brad" Jennings.) :flagusa:

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

What a gut wrenching loss for the Nets tonight leading by two, D-Wade nails a three pointer with .1 second left.

Combined record of Nets and Knicks 1-19. Ouch

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Archived