Bradenton Pirates

chickenfish13

Hey Guys. Yes, I know, another topic.I realize I said I would slow down, which I have a little, but I have definitely taking more time to get logos to where I want them to be. I had been working on a skull logo for the fun of it, and when I saw that the Sarasota Reds were becoming the Bradenton Pirates, I had a purpose for my logo.

All it is is a stylized skull, with a bandana, and PIRATE wordmark. The secondaries are nothing great, just some marks you might see on a hat. Hopefully you guys can give me some ideas as to what I can do to maybe give it an edge. Thanks, and C n C.

Also, I haven't forgotten about my other work, I'm working on updating the Thunder, as well as the Warhawks Uni's.

bradentonpiratespri.png

bradentonpiratesec.png

bradentonpiratescript.png

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

its nae bad bro, but the jaw appears to be fused shut, the eye(?) is right at the front of the face and the ear (thats an earing right?) is at the back?

I know the examples below are not sports logos... but these craniums and their features are not exactly aligned with real skulls.

simpsons_couch.gif

But I agree, the earring should be moved.

1sigHawks-1.png

2sigHawks.gif

I agree that an earing makes no sense without an ear, but I think the skull is alright stylistically. Someone not involved in design would never notice what FD mentioned, so I would say the stylized skull is alright.

Eh, I disagree. I think the skull looks a bit odd. The jaw seems too small in proportion with the rest of the skull, and it would be nice to make a distinction between the jaw and the rest of the skull (i.e. make the joint visible as opposed to making the jaw appear to be one with the skull).

I really dig both of the P marks (cap logos, right?) The sword especially is a nice touch.

Yeah I have to echo what Fraser said, stylisation and simplification are all well and good, but first you have start with an accurate shape. As things stand right now the level of stylisation is fine but the shape is all wrong.

The lower jaw is a completely distinct entity and needs to be shown as such. Your average Joe has seen enough Skull and Crossbones flags to know this he/she doesn't need to have majored in design or medicine it's a well known fact. So if nothing else is changed (although I would suggest looking at the position of the eyes and nose) I think the lower jaw needs to be separated from the upper skull.

With regards the word mark, great font choice, however I can't help but feel especially in the Bradenton one there is a certain level of overkill which is making the whole thing difficult to read and spoiling what could be a very very successful wordmark. I'm not familiar with the font so I dont know if this will work but I'd look at setting the first and last letters in caps and the rest in lower case as that might help improve with legibility due to the reduction in swashes and tails etc which are crossing into one another just now, but still retain enough of the "piartey" feel to still work. I'd then baseline shift the lower case letters up so that everything hangs from the top of the cap letters and then you could decide if you want to arc the whole thing or not.

You're off to a great start though and I look forward to seeing the updates when you've finished them.

9erssteve

9ersstevesig.png

i really like the P logo with the sword. as far as the primary i think the skull is close but not quite right as others have mentioned. I think it would also look better moved to the left slightly on the wordmark but that may just be me and is minor. the lettering i like and dont like in a way. i like the innter white part since it look perfect for pirates but then the very thick outline turns it almost bubbly. if you could manually alter the outline to be rigid like everything else i would love it

• 1 month later...

OK, I now it's been a looooooong time, but I've been trying to work on this for awhile. I tried to update the skull as best as I could. Thanks to Jaha for the help, he guided me through cleaning it up a bit, and gave me a technique to use in illustrator to make it look better, so thanks to him. 9erssteve, I actually can't do that with the text, it's not exactly the easiest font to work with, so I just left it. I'm not sure if I got it, I'll wait to hear from you guys:

bradentonpiratesprimary.png

It's getting better, but I definately think you need to rework certain areas in the face, right now it looks a little flat, ya need depth.

Look specifically in the cheek bone/jaw area cause right now he looks like he has plaster white skin. Use the pic of a skull davidson posted for you, and look at the shadows and general shapes the cheek and jaw make and try and reqork that in your logo.

Progress is being made though, great job.

i think you are trying to alter the image you already have. in my opinion, its not working as it is as the head is too tall, the eyes too high for the cheekbones, the chin doesnt protrude enough and the cracks that youve added create thick lines where there should be none. i have made a quick 2 minute sketch of the skull image i posted previously to show you where i would put dense black lines and where i would use detail in finer features. i have also made a quick mock up with a secondary colour to add depth. hope this helps.

skull.png

skull2.png

Archived