1. Jazz

2. BYU

3. Uni. of Utah

4. Real Salt Lake

5. Bees (AAA Baseball team)

6. Utah St.

7. Utah Grizzlies (ECHL Hockey)

8. Weber St.

9. Southern Utah Uni. (Cedar City's over 200 miles away)

Or something like that (maybe BYU and the U are flipped, so have at it, Cougs and Utes!) :P

All give the Metro-Detroit area

1. Who ever is having the better season

2. Who ever is playing a play-off game that day

Chicago probably goes something like this:

1. Bears

2. Cubs

3. Blackhawks

4. White Sox

5. Bulls (4 and 5 could easily be flipped)

6. Notre Dame

7. Illinois

8. Fire

9. Packers

10. Northwestern

11. Wolves

12. DePaul

13. UIC

I will note 1) that I'm a Packers and White Sox fan and 2) even during the championship runs of the '90s, the Bulls would only have been 2nd on this list. Good, bad, or mediocre, Chicago is a Bears town, first and foremost.

Okay hold the :censored: up for a second. There was no whining, no personal attacks...but whatever. I was stating how people, wrongly, think that just because they like one sport more than another, then everyone else does, too. I pick on the puckheads because they are the biggest abusers and the most absurd with this sh**. You know it's true, because y'all get so buttsore the second you get called on it. Don't kill the messenger here. No one is wrong for their personal sporting preferences, and I'm not attacking that at all. Like what you like. Who gives a damn? Just be aware that the world is bigger than your point-of-view and that what you like doesn't always translate to popular opinion. I've learned that...some of ya'll should do the same.

Icecap, the term "evil, ignorant puckhead" applies directly to you. :P

Well, maybe you aren't evil...

I think NYC's been covered fairly enough, but I'd say probably just flip flop the Knicks and Islanders in Gothamite's post and add the Devils and Nets to the back and you got NYC's sports landscape. Then add in maybe the biggest mish mash you'll ever see composed of St. Johns/UNC/Duke/Syracuse/Hofstra (Long Island at least), hell maybe even Georgetown/UConn/Villanova basketball fans in 10th, considering quite honestly although college hoops is popular in the area, there's usually about 6 or 7 schools represented in that group. Then Notre Dame/Rutgers football in 11th

If you didn't post that in nearly every thread about hockey or basketball or anything else, I might believe you.

Read what I actually post instead of just seeing my name and thinking, "o noes jigga iz atackin hockee agin, git em!"

Personally I hate hockey but living in 'sota and not having Garnett really hurts basketball's chances in the "State of Hockey". I think Jonny Flynn is a step in the right direction for the Wolves but, they really have a long way to go to earn the respect of the average fan in the Twin Cities Market.

I'd disagree there. The Twin Cities is definitely a Vikes' town.

1. Vikes

2. Twins

3. Wild

4. Gophers

5. Wolves

It's also a pro-town. The Gophers were 5th 5 years ago when the Wolves were not awful

I dont know, I feel that people always have their doubts about the Vikings. Even with Adrian Peterson and Brett Favre, people around here seemed pessimistic heading into the season. It seems that people are always behind the Twins and people seem to live and die with that team than the Vikings. The sentiments are usually that the Vikings are never truly good and will always find a way to lose and the Twins are a winner and are always on the cusp of a championship. I think it is a football town first and foremost, but Green Bay has such a large influence on our football fanbase where as the Brewers are not even considered in our market. Nearly every baseball fan in Minnesota is a Twins fan... Is every football fan in Minnesota a Vikings fan? And if they are our top team in our market... then why are they having a difficult time building a stadium and are one team in consideration for Los Angeles?

Looks like ESJ disagrees with me about the vikes. Part of the Vikings pessimism is that people care so much about it. If the other teams don't win, meh. But the Vikes...that's important. The Vikings are kind of like the Cubs of football. I admit to being a frustrated Viking fan (and I happen to care more about the Twins, but that's because MLB, unlike football is better in college, in my book), but I think that frustration, from a team that has not truly won a big game since the late 1980s, upset of the Niners and has been Cub-like for decades, comes from caring. Plus, with the Twins, we all get that they are working with very little, compared to the big teams...so we are less critical.

I cannot answer whether all the football fans are vikings fans...that's all anecdotal. The Packers are the second favorite team in almost all markets. Yes, some of the transplanted Wisconsinites convert to the Twins while staying with the Pack...but it's more than just the proportion that would rank the Twins/Vikes #1. It's the passion for the sport...and I view Minnesota as an NFL town.

As to Jigga's point about NHL over NBA...he's dead on that the NBA is not that far below MLB and NFL nationwide (in the US), while the NHL is a fringe sport down with Tennis, etc. However, I think that gap closes in place with NHL teams (e.g. Boston, Detroit, etc.), whereas I'd bet in a place like, say, Nebraska, generaly NBA following is WAY more than NHL. As pointed out, Minnesota is a hockey place...I once heard that 40% of season ticket holders play in adult leagues. The toughest sports ticket in town is Gopher hockey (though part of the "credit" goes to them building a very small arena).

But I'll tell you this...even in Minnesota, if this was 2004, I'd have ranked the Wolves ahead of the Wild. The Wild may finish with the worst record in the league this year, but the Wolves have been brutal for a few years. That hurts it. But I am sure in most markets with both, the NBA "wins" easily.

In Minnesota it seems to go something like this I believe:

1.Twins

2. Wild

3. Gophers

4. Vikings

5. Timberwolves

Close: but I submit

1. Twins

2. Wild

3. Gophers Hockey

4. Vikings

5. Gophers Football

6. Timberwolves

If we are going to split up the gophs, then add hoops. I know that Gopher hockey is a tough ticket (as I said, in some part due to the small arena). But I really think Gopher hockey is not even close to the vikes.

1. Vikes

2. Twins

3. Gopher football (three years ago, would have been dead last)

4. Wild

5. Gopher hoops

6. Gopher hockey

7. Wolves.

I know my last four mix the sports up (puck, hoop, puck, hoop). That's due to the fact that the "newness" has still not worn off the wild and that the Wolves are so bad. And yes, I put Gopher hoops over hockey. Remember, the arena is at least 4,000 seats bigger and they still pretty much always sell out the non-obstructed. And I know there is going to be more to cheer about with hockey, as the gophers are always a Nat'l title threat. But the ferver was outstanding during the Clem years (before they were proven to be so tainted). The sweet 16s and Final Four drew a lot of excitement (OK I was in Madison for the final 4, but that's the sense I had). If this was the Monson era, I'd move them to the bottom, but Tubby has generated some optimism and excitement (and better play).

Obviously, it's all an art and we have our own perceptions (and as Jigga points out, some bias) and our interpreations. One of mine is how much the town would be buzzin if a team won it all. We certainly were buzzin in 87 and 91. I think a Super Bowl title would be the big one here and I firmly believe a NCAA hoops title would generate more than an NCAA hockey title (of course, an NBA title would be big, so that could arguably move the wolves up, but as a snapshop now, the current lack of interest is too huge).

Read what I actually post instead of just seeing my name and thinking, "o noes jigga iz atackin hockee agin, git em!"

I did. And its always a variation of the same theme. Puckheads don't appreciate the superior sport of basketball and flame the poor old NBA every chance they get.

No, sorry, that isn't the case. At all. No one EVER told you, or anyone else here, that they were "wrong" for preferring basketball to hockey. No one ever said hockey is more beloved then basketball or baseball. You state your preference all the time, and no one thinks anything of it. Why? Well I would assume because most people here, myself included, agree with your "like what you like" point of view.

You say that you don't have a problem with people preferring hockey to basketball. The problem, however, only seems to surface when people mention their own personal preference that hockey is better then basketball, and you go off on a "stupid puckheads" rant. In fact you don't even need someone to mention their personal preference to go off on one. You posted this in a thread about NBA Special Event jerseys, where the sport of hockey wasn't even mentioned until you brought it up....

No need to worry about that. This is an NBA thread. It'll be forgotten by the time Yukon Pennisula IceFishermen winger Vlatchislaf Petrokinorikovitch scores his first career short-handed goal on a slapshot wrister through North Alberta Yetieaters goalie Mirakovan Kumantumavanokov's five hole tonight...and gets in a fight two seconds later.

So may I suggest you calm the :censored: down. No one ever said you were in the wrong for being basketball fan, and I don't think I've ever seen anyone, even the most die hard hockey fans on this board claim that hockey is more universally loved then basketball or baseball. So enjoy yourself, talk about the pros and cons of the Falcons matching a throwback helmet with a modern jersey and pants set, and stop fighting an imagery fight against points of view no one ever espoused.

Poor old Lions are never popular then??

My take on Nashville...

1. Titans

2. U. of Tennessee

3. Predators (surprisingly, considering low ticket sales and up-and-down performance)

4. Vandy (?)

5. Florida

6. Bama

7. Braves

8. Steelers (& Bengals up towards Clarksville)

9. Lady Vols

10. Assorted NBA Teams (Celts, Lakers, Cavs, etc.)

11. MTSU

12. Grizzlies

13. Sounds/Lipsomb/Belmont/TSU/UTC

Thrown together on the spur of the moment. Discuss.

I like that Detroit has a nice balance between the Tigers, Pistons, Red Wings, and is thus pretty immune from all the fighting that comes when one has to talk about basketball and hockey in the same place.

In Minnesota it seems to go something like this I believe:

1.Twins

2. Wild

3. Gophers

4. Vikings

5. Timberwolves

Close: but I submit

1. Twins

2. Wild

3. Gophers Hockey

4. Vikings

5. Gophers Football

6. Timberwolves

If we are going to split up the gophs, then add hoops. I know that Gopher hockey is a tough ticket (as I said, in some part due to the small arena). But I really think Gopher hockey is not even close to the vikes.

1. Vikes

2. Twins

3. Gopher football (three years ago, would have been dead last)

4. Wild

5. Gopher hoops

6. Gopher hockey

7. Wolves.

I know my last four mix the sports up (puck, hoop, puck, hoop). That's due to the fact that the "newness" has still not worn off the wild and that the Wolves are so bad. And yes, I put Gopher hoops over hockey. Remember, the arena is at least 4,000 seats bigger and they still pretty much always sell out the non-obstructed. And I know there is going to be more to cheer about with hockey, as the gophers are always a Nat'l title threat. But the ferver was outstanding during the Clem years (before they were proven to be so tainted). The sweet 16s and Final Four drew a lot of excitement (OK I was in Madison for the final 4, but that's the sense I had). If this was the Monson era, I'd move them to the bottom, but Tubby has generated some optimism and excitement (and better play).

Obviously, it's all an art and we have our own perceptions (and as Jigga points out, some bias) and our interpreations. One of mine is how much the town would be buzzin if a team won it all. We certainly were buzzin in 87 and 91. I think a Super Bowl title would be the big one here and I firmly believe a NCAA hoops title would generate more than an NCAA hockey title (of course, an NBA title would be big, so that could arguably move the wolves up, but as a snapshop now, the current lack of interest is too huge).

I have considered your well thought-out and articulately stated position and I reply with the following assessment.

nZYxv.gif

:grin:

Tampa:

Bucs

Rays

USF

Lightning

That about right astrobull?

Tampa:

Bucs

Rays

USF

Lightning

That about right astrobull?

You have to put the Gators in there. Honestly, probably second (if not first).

Indy:

1. Colts

2. Cubs

3. Purdue

4. Indiana

5. Butler (basketball)

6. Pacers

7. Fever

8. Indians

1009. Ice

:P

P.S. The Bears are probably 10.