2. Pats

3. Bruins

4. Revs

5. BC

6. Celtics

7. Blazers

http://i.imgur.com/4ahMZxD.png

koizim said:
And...and ya know what we gotta do? We gotta go kick him in da penis. He'll be injured. Injured bad.

COYS and Go Sox

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Isn't the truth that usually it has a lot to do with which teams are being succesful at that time? In the 80s it always seemed to me that the Lakers were very popular in LA, especially compared to the Rams at least, given that the Raiders weren't completely hopeless in the 80s. Whereas in the early 90s, when the Lakers struggled a bit, less so. Again in Chicago, in the 80s the Bears were riding high and popular, the Bulls less so, by the early 90s the positions had reversed.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

West Palm Beach, Ft. Lauderdale, Miami area:

1a. Anything not about sports - strip clubs, partying, drinking, chasing tail, the beach

1b. Miami Dolphins

2. NY Yankees

3. NY Mets

4. New England Patriots

5. Boston Red Sox

6. NY Jets

7. NY Giants

8. Miami Heat

9. NY Knicks

10. University of Miami

11. University of Florida

12. Florida State University

13. USF

14. UCF

15. NY Rangers

16. NY Islanders

17. Boston Bruins

18. Florida Panthers

. Some Teams from Philadelphia

. Some Teams from New Jersey

. Some Teams from Washington DC

. Some Teams from Pittsburgh

. Ohio State University

. Atlanta Braves

100. Florida Marlins

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

The Florida Panthers are not more popular than the Marlins. They can't be. I have a couple of friends in Miami and they don't know what the Panthers are. Not who they are, like "name a player," they don't know they have a hockey team. Both big Fins fans, though.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

The Florida Panthers are not more popular than the Marlins. They can't be. I have a couple of friends in Miami and they don't know what the Panthers are. Not who they are, like "name a player," they don't know they have a hockey team. Both big Fins fans, though.

That's what happens when you trade in a rink downtown for a rink by an outlet mall in the middle of a swamp.

Yeah, that was a dumb move and they deserve to fail.

Anyway, I'm not sure if the Blackhawks have eclipsed the Bulls just yet but they could. Either way, you're talking like one team has 23,000 a night and the other has 22,000 a night. Both teams are getting good ratings now, by most accounts. I think they can be on equal footing at #3 which is just fine with me and just fine with them, seeing as how they're in business together and all. I don't doubt the general primacy of the Bears but I think the Cubs had a little window there from late '03 to the end of '04, when the Bears were fumbling around in the darkness and the Cubs looked like they could win it all. Other than that the Bears are #1 but the Cubs are more accurately a #1A than a #2, if that makes any sense. White Sox fans come out when it's safe to do so. All Big Ten schools + Notre Dame have their fans but nobody really cares about them beyond the alumni factor. DePaul pretty much closed up shop as far as fielding a competitive basketball program goes, oh well whatever.

Hm, Atlanta...let's see.

#1: UGA

#2: Any other SEC team

#3: GT

#4: Falcons

#5: The most popular team in the NFL

#6: Braves

#7: The most popular team in the MLB

#8: Hawks

#9: The most popular team in the NBA

#10: Thrashers

#11: The most popular team in the NHL

Seems about right. :P

Atlanta is definitely a football town, more specifically: a college football town. UGA is definitely first. I'd put the Falcons 2nd and Georgia Tech 3rd, simply because there are more Falcons fans than Tech fans in Atlanta. Even in their good years, Tech simply doesn't fill their stadium of their fans or generate much talk on radio.

I would say the Hawks are more popular than the Braves in Atlanta. There are a lot of Hawks fans (and basketball fans) that got turned off to the Hawks during their terrible years. Now that the team is now exciting to watch, as well as winning games, it's starting to become a hot ticket, regardless of the opponent.

Of course, the Thrashers are on the low end of the totem pole. They could win the Cup and would still never overtake the Hawks and Braves. Hockey has plenty of support here, but compared to the rest of the teams here, they're still an infant compared to the rest of the teams here.

Wait, did somebody actually complain that most of the posters here prefer hockey over basketball or post that? Am I missing something here? I'm looking at the logo and lo and behold it is a logo with a red maple leaf in it stating that the owner of this site is a proud Canadian. Isn't hockey Canada's favorite sport? So why is it weird that according to this site that there are more people that prefer hockey over basketball?

Buffalo...

1.Bills

2.Sabres

3.Yankees

4.Red Sox (Can change at times, when Red Sox are doing well)

5.UB Bulls

6.SU Orange

7.Assorted other MLB teams

8.Assorted NBA Teams

9.Bisons

10.Bandits (May be higher in certain parts like my suburb, where they may be #3)

saBS.png

Yes! I get to do Seattle:

This is for 2009. Much like Detroit, they rotate based on who's doing well.

1. UW football

2. Seahawks

3. Sounders

4. Mariners

5. UW basketball

6. The ghost of the Sonics

7. Storm (yes -- you really would rank the WNBA team here)

WSU football would factor in there somewhere, but I haven't lived in Seattle quite long enough to know. And yes, I really would put the 2009 MLS team ahead of the 2009 MLB team in fan support. We can check back in a couple of years, but as far as mindshare goes, the Sounders are a very big deal here.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Was out last Saturday, and the Flyers vs. Panthers game was on the TV at the bar. Ended up talking to these girls, one of which was from South Florida and just recently moved to Phila. She asked if FLA meant "Florida", and then what city they played in. I told her that they played in Miami for a bunch of years, and now play outside of the city. She had no idea that South Florida had an NHL team. None.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

At some point, I think it was 2 seasons ago, I had forgotten about the mere existence of the Florida Panthers until a scoreline showed up on the bottom of the screen. It took me a moment to recognize who "Florida" was, and I consider myself a fairly avid puckhead. They have to rival the Clippers for sheer irrelevance.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Was out last Saturday, and the Flyers vs. Panthers game was on the TV at the bar. Ended up talking to these girls, one of which was from South Florida and just recently moved to Phila. She asked if FLA meant "Florida", and then what city they played in. I told her that they played in Miami for a bunch of years, and now play outside of the city. She had no idea that South Florida had an NHL team. None.

Yes, but what about the part of the story that matters? :grin:

The Clippers are at least nationally infamous for being the goddamn crappy Clippers, a metonym for futility. I like that we have three unrelated anecdotes about Panthers unawareness. Who else has one?

I'm surprised the Sounders have eclipsed the M's already. Geez.

Doesn't need to be said that Milwaukee is Packers uber alles. Brewers can get up to a respectable #2 when they're good. Badgers are a huge deal across all sports. Marquette basketball has a good-sized following. The Bucks' ever-dwindling fanbase is well on its way to becoming merely theoretical. People care about UW-M when they do well. I think the Admirals were kind of a thing once upon a time but I don't sense that they really matter anymore.

Jigga, on October 21, 2009 - 11:22, said:

North Alberta Yetieaters

Even as a person who much prefers hockey over NBA basketball, I still think that is hilarious.

On topic: Where I live in Ohio (Not to be confused with Cleveland proper. I'm about an hour and a half west of the city.)

1. Ohio State by a big margin over #2.

2. Steelers (Despite the fact that we're a good 4-5 hours from Pittsburgh. The 'necks and the trashy folk around here just loves them some Stillers.)

3. Browns (Third and fading fast. The only thing saving them is the Indians are just as bad.)

4. Indians

5. Cavs (Without #23 I doubt the Cavs even enter the conversation.)

BB52Big.jpg

Yes, but what about the part of the story that matters? :grin:

That was already posted in the "gear grinder" thread. Didn't have a "happy ending".

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

All things being equal (meaning - no team is 0-16, no team is going for b2b World Championships, just in general, as if all the teams were having the same kind of season), my opinion of Philadelphia is:

1. Eagles

2. Flyers

3. Phillies

4. Insert Big-5 Team here (Temple, LaSalle, Penn, Villanova, St. Joe's, and even Drexel)

5. 76ers

6. Kixx, Wings, Soul (RIP), etc. etc. etc.

Before the Phantoms moved, I'd say that they rivaled the Sixers for relevance in the city. Once A.I. left, so did any reason for the non-die hard to follow the Sixers.

Also, the Flyers and Phillies could be flip-flopped. It's tough to call right now, because obviously the Phillies are enjoying an unprecedented run, and have an amusement park / night club for a stadium. I just remember how for a long time, the Phillies were completely irrelevant, and people actually wanted them to move and for an expansion team to come in to the city. I'd say that the truth is probably in the middle somewhere.

The Flyers obviously don't have as large of a fanbase as the Phillies and Eagles, just because of the nature of the sport, but their fans are easily the most dedicated and "stepford", so I put them number 2.

Yeah, I've always felt the Flyers ranked higher than most hockey teams in four-sport towns; that or the Sixers were just underachievers in that field. Timberwolves are another clear-cut #4 but what do you expect from such a moribund franchise that for all intents and purposes had ONE good year out of twenty, really.

Archived