LA Times Poll: Lakers Are Only 3rd Favorite Team In LA

schtee

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes! I get to do Seattle:

This is for 2009. Much like Detroit, they rotate based on who's doing well.

1. UW football

2. Seahawks

3. Sounders

4. Mariners

5. UW basketball

6. The ghost of the Sonics

7. Storm (yes -- you really would rank the WNBA team here)

WSU football would factor in there somewhere, but I haven't lived in Seattle quite long enough to know. And yes, I really would put the 2009 MLS team ahead of the 2009 MLB team in fan support. We can check back in a couple of years, but as far as mindshare goes, the Sounders are a very big deal here.

I'll agree with that. Although- I think if the Seahawks continue to lose, and Sounders FC make it farther in the playoffs... I could see them sliding ahead- for the time being.

Wait, did somebody actually complain that most of the posters here prefer hockey over basketball or post that? Am I missing something here? I'm looking at the logo and lo and behold it is a logo with a red maple leaf in it stating that the owner of this site is a proud Canadian. Isn't hockey Canada's favorite sport? So why is it weird that according to this site that there are more people that prefer hockey over basketball?

No, somebody actually DID NOT complain that most of the posters here prefer hockey over basketball or post that. Contrary to what Icecap or Mockba would have you believe. Are you missing something here? Yes, my point. I did not complain about the preference itself, just the extrapolation of personal preference to the general public. That's it. I realize that I am on the wrong side of the line here to most of you and that's fine. I think my post was misunderstood and oversimplified. That's as much as I want to rehash, otherwise I'll just get bashed and called names. I apologize for offending the hockey lovers whether here or around the world.

I have to say this though, people get so buttsore for reasons that don't actually call for buttsoreness, but hey, you're passionate defenders of the sport you love and I respect that. Please understand that I was not attacking hockey. I like to make fun of and tweak hockey fans, but I don't bash the game or the players. If people didn't do so much of that with basketball, there wouldn't be much need for me to say anything.

Anyway, Icecap and Mockba, I'm sorry, guys.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

DC, circa 2009:

1a. Redskins

1b. Capitals

2. Ravens

3. Orioles

4. Wizards

5. Nationals

6. DC United

7. Hoyas

8. Terps

9. Mystics

you'd really rank the Wiz that low? I mean I dont live in the metro area, but i'd have to think inside the District, the Wizards (and the Terps and the Hoyas basketball teams for that matter) are more popular than the Caps, only in the suburbs do I see the Caps being more popular than those teams. I love my Caps, but im not dumb to the demographics of the city. I know theyre gaining a foothold but I think its a long way off till the Caps are challenging the Redskins for the #1 slot, I know people are sick of the bull :censored: from the Redskins but positive or negative, theres way more passion for the Redskins than there is for the Caps. I listen to the FAN everyday, and when they talk Caps, its the usual: Ovechkin is great, theyve gotta great offense, they could contend for a Cup one day, blah blah blah. The Redskins illicit such a passion, people are so pissed off at the Redskins cause they grew up with them and now Snyder treats the fans this way and all that. If the Caps got that bad, people would just jump off the bandwagon like nothing happened, except the diehards that were there before Ovechkin and Co. Saying all that, heres my list:

1. Redskins

2. Wizards

3. Terps

4. Caps

5. Ravens

6. Va Tech

7. Nationals

8. Steelers

9. Cowboys

10. DC United

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

Wait, did somebody actually complain that most of the posters here prefer hockey over basketball or post that? Am I missing something here? I'm looking at the logo and lo and behold it is a logo with a red maple leaf in it stating that the owner of this site is a proud Canadian. Isn't hockey Canada's favorite sport? So why is it weird that according to this site that there are more people that prefer hockey over basketball?

No, somebody actually DID NOT complain that most of the posters here prefer hockey over basketball or post that. Contrary to what Icecap or Mockba would have you believe. Are you missing something here? Yes, my point. I did not complain about the preference itself, just the extrapolation of personal preference to the general public. That's it. I realize that I am on the wrong side of the line here to most of you and that's fine. I think my post was misunderstood and oversimplified. That's as much as I want to rehash, otherwise I'll just get bashed and called names. I apologize for offending the hockey lovers whether here or around the world.

I have to say this though, people get so buttsore for reasons that don't actually call for buttsoreness, but hey, you're passionate defenders of the sport you love and I respect that. Please understand that I was not attacking hockey. I like to make fun of and tweak hockey fans, but I don't bash the game or the players. If people didn't do so much of that with basketball, there wouldn't be much need for me to say anything.

Anyway, Icecap and Mockba, I'm sorry, guys.

No apologies needed, you did a fine job explaining your position, and I'm sorry if I misunderstood what you were saying.

I'm old enough to remember a time when the Knicks were far and away the #1 team in NYC, even when the Yankees started winning in 1996 the Knicks were right there in popularity through the Sprewell years.

In NYC itself, I'd rank the Mets ahead of the Giants for #2. In Manhattan particularly, there are so many transplants who cheer for their own football teams. Of course, most of the transplants stay loyal to their own NFL teams but end up adopting the Yanks as their baseball team.

OK, I am going to attempt to cover three different areas.

First, my hometown, Pittsburgh.

If you were born pre 1945:

1)Steelers

2)Pirates

3)Pitt Football

4)Penguins

5)Pitt Basketball

6)Duquesne Basketball

My Generation (born 1982)

1)Steelers

2)Penguins - People in my generation became hooked during the Mario years, most park basketball courts were used for street hockey instead. The gap between 1 and 2 is surprisingly close. (Probably even closer for the kids in Maz's generation.)

3)Pirates (I was at the game in 1992 when they clinched the East division, their last winning season, I was 10, I am now 27.) Believe it or not, but people still care about this team. PNC Park would be sold out everynight if this team could compete.

4)Pitt Basketball

5)Pitt Football

Indianapolis: Lived there for two years, I think I have a decent understanding of the sports landscape.

1)Colts

2)IU basketball

3)Butler basketball

4)College football (ND, Purdue, IU)

5)Pacers

6)MLB (Cubs, Reds, Cardinals/WhiteSox in that order)

Tampa Bay: I have only been here since June so I may be a bit off. Its hard to build a following for pro teams when nobody is really from here.

1)Florida and FSU

2)Bucs

3)Every other NFL team from the Midwest to the Northeast

4)Yankees

5)Rays

6)Every other MLB team from the Midwest to the Northeast

7)USF

8)NHL teams not named the Lightning

9)Lightning

10)Magic

I've spent considerable time in Pittsburgh, and I would certainly put the Pengiuins 2, even when they're not winning the cup. The Pirates didn't even sell out 'off games in the early '90s.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I'd say in my neck of the woods (that piece of WI in between Milwaukee and Chicago):

1A-Packers

1B-Badgers football

2-Brewers (one part PR, one part actually being good. if you'd asked me 10 years ago they woulda been dead last on this list)

3-Cubs (though as recently as five years ago I'd have put the Cubs at 2)

4-Badgers hoops

5-Bears

6-Marquette hoops

7-Vikings

8-Cowboys

9-Notre Dame football

10A-Badgers hockey

10B-random popular NBA team

11-Bucks

12-Blackhawks

13-Admirals

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

In Boston most fans probably would go something like this:

1.Red Sox

2.Pats

3.Celtics

4.Bruins

I myself:

1.Pats

2.Celtics

3.Red Sox Baseball to me is just so boring now. It seems like the games have gotten longer and longer since when I was a kid. You would think it would be the opposite that when I was a kid I wouldn't have the patience for the game

but it's exactly the other way.

And that is it no hockey I might watch a playoff game if the B's make it but just don't care for the game itself.

I'd say that poll in the original post is flawed for sure. Here is more of what it really is.

1. Lakers

2. USC Football

3. Dodgers

4. Angels

5. UCLA Basketball

6. Raiders

7. Chargers

8. UCLA Football

9. Kings

10. Ducks

11. USC Basketball

12. Other NFL Teams

13. Mexican soccer teams

14-119. Local small colleges

119-327. Local high schools

327-375. AYSO and youth teams

375. Clippers

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Another example of the Panthers irrelevancy in South Florida: This is at a Panthers HOME game:

It's normal for the Canadian national anthem to be played whenever a Canadian team comes below the border...but near the end the entire crowd is singing along. That's because, according to the description, it was probably 80% Canadiens fans.

Here's my opinion on Milwaukee. The top 6 are in order:

1. Packers

2. Brewers

3. Wisconsin Football

4. Marquette Basketball

5. Bucks

6. Milwaukee Basketball

These also have followings in Milwaukee, but I wouldn't know how to rank them:

-Milwaukee Soccer

-Wisconsin Hockey

-Wisconsin Basketball

-Raiders/Cowboys (mainly the Latina/o population)

-English Premier League (if I had to put money on it, I'd say Arsenal is the most popular club)

-Mexican Soccer (my money would be on Chivas)

-Bears (usually college students and other transplants from Illinois)

-Cubs (ditto, but also the old-timers that became Cubs fans when the Braves left)

-Notre Dame Football (old-timers again)

-Milwaukee Wave (indoor soccer)

-Milwaukee Admirals (AHL)

-Milwaukee Iron (AF1)

I'm old enough to remember a time when the Knicks were far and away the #1 team in NYC, even when the Yankees started winning in 1996 the Knicks were right there in popularity through the Sprewell years.

In NYC itself, I'd rank the Mets ahead of the Giants for #2. In Manhattan particularly, there are so many transplants who cheer for their own football teams. Of course, most of the transplants stay loyal to their own NFL teams but end up adopting the Yanks as their baseball team.

I'd tend to agree. Plus, this is a baseball town first and foremost. We love all our sports, but somehow we love our baseball just that little bit more.

From my experience, the Knicks have just fallen off the map. I see far more Rangers jerseys and caps being worn around town than anything Knicks. That could well change (I also see a whole lot more Knicks advertising than I do for the Rangers), but for the moment I would still put the Rangers above either. And no, I'm not particularly a hockey guy - I don't particularly follow the NBA or NHL.

Basketball is still pretty big, if the man-on-the-street experience says something, but like football it appears more people are supporting other teams than the Knickerbockers.

I know I've posted this before, but here goes: Columbus, Ohio

1. Ohio State football

2. Cleveland Browns

3 Cincinnati Bengals

4 Ohio State Basketball

5 Cleveland Indians

6 Columbus Blue Jackets

7 Cincinnati Reds

8 Pittsburgh Steelers

9 High School football

I'd argue though that people my age and younger are bigger Blue Jackets fans than people in older generations because we've essentially grown up with the Jackets.

PvO6ZWJ.png

DC, circa 2009:

1a. Redskins

1b. Capitals

2. Ravens

3. Orioles

4. Wizards

5. Nationals

6. DC United

7. Hoyas

8. Terps

9. Mystics

you'd really rank the Wiz that low? I mean I dont live in the metro area, but i'd have to think inside the District, the Wizards (and the Terps and the Hoyas basketball teams for that matter) are more popular than the Caps, only in the suburbs do I see the Caps being more popular than those teams. I love my Caps, but im not dumb to the demographics of the city. I know theyre gaining a foothold but I think its a long way off till the Caps are challenging the Redskins for the #1 slot, I know people are sick of the bull :censored: from the Redskins but positive or negative, theres way more passion for the Redskins than there is for the Caps. I listen to the FAN everyday, and when they talk Caps, its the usual: Ovechkin is great, theyve gotta great offense, they could contend for a Cup one day, blah blah blah. The Redskins illicit such a passion, people are so pissed off at the Redskins cause they grew up with them and now Snyder treats the fans this way and all that. If the Caps got that bad, people would just jump off the bandwagon like nothing happened, except the diehards that were there before Ovechkin and Co. Saying all that, heres my list:

1. Redskins

2. Wizards

3. Terps

4. Caps

5. Ravens

6. Va Tech

7. Nationals

8. Steelers

9. Cowboys

10. DC United

My list was biased, especially after the Wizards terrible 2008-08 campaign.

Archived