Vols in black

IWORSHIPBENDER

I'd never heard of SM before this weekend. But our HS got new basketball uniforms made by them, and now this.

I know the basketball ones are made by SM because I put them all away. Yes, I'm basically the equipment manager. It's called "Coach's Assistant." Or something.

SM does good work and they're good people out there. I've had them do some work for me in the past, outside of the UT stuff that I used to have to deal with. They've taken on alot of the old Sports Belle clients and are doing some of the adidas team uniforms for high schools since Betlin folded.

I recall someone in another thread mentioning that some announcers (Keith Jackson's name came up) had trouble seeing the numbers on UT's white jerseys, thus since either 95 or 96 they've had the black outline.

Far as UCLA, why would they be using black? They've been using navy outline for years.

Keith Jackson complained on air about the UT numbers (orange, outlined in white, outlined in orange) at the 1994 season opener in the Rose Bowl against UCLA, in the game also known as the debut of Peyton Manning.

Later in '94, the Vols debuted the black-outlined away jerseys at South Carolina in a game that was, ironically, not televised. They've been that way ever since.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Having watched this game, I can dare say these are the worst looking jersies I have seen in a long time. I think the main problem was what I'll call the "3-color plague". Quite simply, that means helmet, jersey top, and jersey pants are 3 different colors. It's really tough to say that would ever look good. i can't think of a case off the top of my head where it does.

They either needed black helmets, black pants with orange stripes/white stripes, or white pants. Any of those would have made it look better.

spacer.png  5-time Defending NL East Champions spacer.png 

Their black pants should be in this week and they're putting names on the back.

Eric Berry came into the team meeting on friday with a jacket on and ripped it off with the black jersey underneath... and the rest is history. (sigh)

So wait, they're planning a full on blackout?

-groan-

Archived