The New USFL

rentz

Hello. So, apparently the USFL is getting a reboot next year. While it will probably be doomed to comical failure as is every other league that challenges the behemoth that is the NFL, I thought it would be interesting if the new league brought back some of the old identities. I think that some of the USFL's names and logos are great, and some are very much ahead of their time. However, some are also tragically underdeveloped. So I decided to start a mini project as I love the identities and wanted to try to create a brand for this new USFL.

Keep in mind, the league was born ten years before I was, so I'm doing this strictly for design sake and have little knowledge of the actual history of the teams. Although it's only two years of history so it shouldn't really be a problem haha.

First up is the Washington Federals.

washfeds.png

First, I changed the colors, from inexplicable green and black to navy and red. I feel that just fits a team named "Federals" so much better. The old logo is pretty cool but firmly entrenched in 80s design aesthetic. I wanted to keep the silhouette eagle and the general geometry of the logo, with the three "motion lines", so I consolidated them into one stylized eagle head. I know it looks like US Postal Service meets Iowa Hawkeyes, but I like it. I took out the star as it is arbitrary and seems only to be there to say "look, we're the Federals, we're patriotic".

Here's the full primary with wordmark.

washfeds2.png

The font is a modified version of the font used on dollar bills... ironic for a team in DC haha. However I think it gives a sort of patriotic vibe.

All C+C appreciated. Uniforms coming soon.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like it. I always thought the name Federals was a good choice for a team located in DC, and your update of the primary mark is very strong. I'm not sold on the wordmark though. I know it's based off of the font used on the dollar bill, but it just seems to be to blocky to go with the sleek primary mark. They look like they came from two different identity sets.

All in all a great update. I can't wait to see what you do with the rest of the USFL.

Good concept. I like the color change and keeping the motionwith the three lines. There is alot of information that use for my USFL league I am in. it is www.usfl.info. The reason the Federals were black and green was that those were the colors of the owners boat. Being that you used the modified font from US Currency, you could have kept them green and black and then outlined the image in a double outline. That way you wouldn't have to change the logo on certainm uniform items like home and away jerseys. Nice look tho. It's a good start.

Really sleek update to the Federals. What a great name, huh? The evolution of the logo is spot on. It would be cool if you could hide the letters 'DC' in the logo. I already see a 'C' by the birds lower beak. You said you changed the colors to blue and red. It would be nice to see a little red in the Primary logo ala the Houston Texans. Maybe around the motion lines and by the eyes? I like the dollar bill font. Very fitting. Parts of the inner gray stroke are messing with my eyes, though. Specifically, the left leg of the 'A' and above the opening on the 'D' and 'R'. Maybe the stroke can be moved outside the letters?

Great job as usual. I hope you do the whole league.

bobschultz6

' class="bbc_url">@

bobschultz6

i like the head of the bird. with so many eagle logos already out there you managed to make this somewhat unique (altho the outer shape reminds me of southern miss) but thats not a big deal. i like the wordmark but dont think it matches the bird. but as long as they are kept separate from eachother i like it (like bird on the helmet and wordmark in the endzones or on the jerseys very little). nice job

I like the new colors, and the eagle head is fine. But actually, I think this is a step backward, conceptually. I think you'd be wise to work a star or two in there, and some stripes (or play up the "stripes" you already have). Right now, it's just an eagle head. It's a very nice eagle head, but nothing about that logo says "Washington" or "Federals;" it looks like a logo for a team nicknamed the Eagles.

HURRICANES | PANTHERS | WHITE SOX | WOLFPACK

Top notch concept...Perfect updating...this is helmet worthy.

(MLF) Chicago Cannons,  (IHA) Phoenix Firebirds - 2021 Xtreme Cup Champions

(WAFL) Phoenix Federals - WAFL World Bowl XII Champions (Defunct)

Thank you! It was driving me crazy trying to figure out what eagle logo this reminded me of... and while it has a similar layout as Southern Miss, it's different enough to justify it I think.

I did try stars originally, but I was concerned as whatever I tried seemed to much like the Minnesota Wild. However I've tried again and think it looks pretty good...

fedp1.png

It seems my original path had some rogue nodes and outliers resulting in the weird inset path on the wordmark previously; I've tried to sort those out. Also, I agree about keeping the logo and wordmark separate; the styles are incongruous together and I think they look a lot better separate.

fedwm.png

I am working on the uniforms, they'll probably be posted tomorrow.

It seems my original path had some rogue nodes and outliers resulting in the weird inset path on the wordmark previously; I've tried to sort those out. Also, I agree about keeping the logo and wordmark separate; the styles are incongruous together and I think they look a lot better separate.

I am working on the uniforms, they'll probably be posted tomorrow.

That would have been my critique; they really didn't go together. Overall it's a great update, but separately like you have it now. Nice.

Side note: you use inset paths? I've never really used them; I mostly do the inner one first and do stroke > duplicate > stroke to path > stroke > send backwards. Interesting. I do that because I have had a lot of problems with inset and offset paths like you just did.

Hello. So, apparently the USFL is getting a reboot next year. While it will probably be doomed to comical failure as is every other league that challenges the behemoth that is the NFL, I thought it would be interesting if the new league brought back some of the old identities. I think that some of the USFL's names and logos are great, and some are very much ahead of their time. However, some are also tragically underdeveloped. So I decided to start a mini project as I love the identities and wanted to try to create a brand for this new USFL.

Keep in mind, the league was born ten years before I was, so I'm doing this strictly for design sake and have little knowledge of the actual history of the teams. Although it's only two years of history so it shouldn't really be a problem haha.

First up is the Washington Federals.

washfeds.png

First, I changed the colors, from inexplicable green and black to navy and red. I feel that just fits a team named "Federals" so much better. The old logo is pretty cool but firmly entrenched in 80s design aesthetic. I wanted to keep the silhouette eagle and the general geometry of the logo, with the three "motion lines", so I consolidated them into one stylized eagle head. I know it looks like US Postal Service meets Iowa Hawkeyes, but I like it. I took out the star as it is arbitrary and seems only to be there to say "look, we're the Federals, we're patriotic".

Here's the full primary with wordmark.

washfeds2.png

The font is a modified version of the font used on dollar bills... ironic for a team in DC haha. However I think it gives a sort of patriotic vibe.

All C+C appreciated. Uniforms coming soon.

Ok so I'm no native of the US but I'm pretty sure the green and black is easily explained when you consider the team name is Federals - as in Federal Reserve - cash money hence the the green and black. Like I said it could be wrong but it's not an unreasonable assumption to make.

I like the original eagle head you created, I'll be honest I think the star eyed one is a huge down grade, not only is it obvious and cliched you've also had to distort the star to force it to work and I just dont think it looks as sophisticated as your original.

The combo of both the logo and wordmark dont sit well together but I think that could be easily remedied by adding a second colour to the eagles head logo. I mean it's practically crying out for it anyway as the lower beak is a separate section anyway, this part could easily be the second colour which would help tie it to the wordmark without any real need for massive changes.

I'll be honest while I can understand the patriotic reasons for changing the colours to red and blue, I think with the sweeping changes you've made to the graphics it might be quite nice to hang onto the original colour scheme so there is still a link to the past other than just the name. I also think the wordmark with it's obvious dollar bill text feel to it would look very successful in green and black.

It's a great idea for a series this one and I look forward to seeing the reworking of the other teams as and when they are done.

9erssteve

9ersstevesig.png

I think the star/eye is a big improvement. I do agree with the poster above who mentioned working some red and/or silver in there, even if it's just an outline. But this is coming along nicely.

HURRICANES | PANTHERS | WHITE SOX | WOLFPACK

I'm having a bit of a block in coming up with the Federal's uniforms. So here is an updated USFL logo. The original was really painfully executed, between the stripes and placement of stars and font. I've tried to streamline it a bit and make it work better. Included is a monochrome version, and a flag version-- now horizontally oriented, as it not only makes more sense it also is a lot less awkward.

usfl.png

Archived