The 2009-10 College Basketball Clearinghouse.

rams80

Going to the dance. That was great. For one, I can't believe that Akron's Mcneese, who was a pain in the butt last season, made that shot to tie the game. I also can't believe that we were able to overcome that obvious momentum shift, settle down in OT, and take the game. Court Street is partying right now.

I'm going to enjoy this without trying to think of the eventual beatdown that we'll probably receive.

PvO6ZWJ.png

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

- Temple wins their 3rd straight A-10 Title. I wouldn't want to be the team that has to cross their path on Thursday or Friday.

- Duke holds off Georgia Tech to win the ACC Title. West Virginia and Duke will either get the other 1 seed.

- Kentucky takes out Mississippi State in OT. This will make Bulldog fans sweat a little come Selection Time.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

I'd just like to announce that I'm absolutely thrilled that my home-state UVM Catamounts are in the Dance. What a great season for this team, from the super-athletic Marqus Blakely throwing it down over all comers to MSU-transfer Maurice Joseph consistently coming up big to Evan Fjeld playing with heart after his mother's death, it's been great. I'm hoping for a decent seeding and maybe, just maybe, a repeat of that epic upset over Syracuse in '05. And this is on top of my school, St. Johnsbury Academy (the alma mater of not only Calvin Coolidge but also the immortal Taylor Coppenrath), winning our first Division 1 girl's basketball state championship. Pretty good year, Green Mountain basketball-wise, for me.

scotland_fifasig.png

Based on what has already been announced and has leaked out elsewhere I think the committee had a higher opinion of the ACC than most of the pundits.

And this is different from any other year how, exactly? The committee has, and always will, overrate the ACC.

Sodboy13 said:
As you watch more basketball, you will learn to appreciate the difference between "defense" and "couldn't find the rim with a pair of bloodhounds and a Garmin."

meet the new page, not the same as the old page.

Well, the 65 team field is set. The Madness begins with the Play-In Game (or if you are a P.C. Monkey, the Opening Round game) between Winthrop and Arkansas-Pine Bluff. The winner draws Duke on Friday down in Jacksonville.

I ask everyone here on the boards what they think of the brackets:

-Which matchup(s) are you anticipating the most? Which one makes you cringe in fear? Which one makes you just cringe period?

-Anyone you can think of that got hosed?

-Possible upset specials

Can someone explain how Florida received a #10 seed and Illinois is out?

I'll take a stab at it... Illinois probably got bumped out thanks to teams like UTEP and Utah State, teams that won their conference regular season titles yet slipped up in their conference tourny finals. The Committee usually throws a bone to those who have good seasons and win their conference titles.

Florida was on the bubble for a long time... A 10 seed even shocks me because they were one of the last teams in.

Can someone explain how Florida received a #10 seed and Illinois is out?

Illinois lost to Bradley and Utah early in the season. I still think we should have got in, but those losses hurt a lot. Also, the 19-14 record and losing 6 of their last 8 killed them. Next year Illinois should be a lot better, they're only losing one senior and have a very good freshman class coming in.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

I can definitely see Cornell beat Temple. They're a very, very good team; really dominated the Ivy League. FSU has a decent draw, too. I can see them beating the Zags and then either a beaten-up Syracuse or Vermont. Which brings me to my true upset pick of the century, which I declared before the seeding was announced: UVM over Syracuse! Lately, the Orange have seemed beatable, with a couple of losses to a flawed Louisville team and that Georgetown defeat. Also, they really don't have a go-to guy, which could hurt them in a close one. I think UVM got the weakest 1 seed playing at their lowest level all season. This, together with the talent and heart of the Catamounts, leads me to believe that it will at least be a close game, and I'm secretly hoping for the first 16-over-1 upset in history.

scotland_fifasig.png

Florida was on the bubble for a long time... A 10 seed even shocks me because they were one of the last teams in.

Would you mind explaining to me how Florida gets in over Mississippi State? Did Florida beat MSU in the tournament? No. Did Florida go far in the tournament? No. Did Florida even give Kentucky a challenge in 2 meetings this year? No. Did Florida win their sub-division? Nope, but MSU did all of those things & are NIT bound.

I'm seriously asking...maybe I missed something here. I don't really mind, I'm not that big of a college basketball fan but that right there stuck out to me as a bit of a snub. Either way, I will enjoy watching MSU in the NIT. :P

As far as the general tournament goes...is this one of the first years in recent memory where there wasn't a clear cut favorite to start out? This could be a really fun tournament to watch.

Pac 10 was terrible they deserved what they got with two teams.

Lower Seeds I have advancing through to the second round.

Northern Iowa over UNLV

San Diego State over Tennessee

Washington over Marquette

Missouri over Clemson

Overall I think it's going to be a hell of a tournament

My Final Four is

1 Kansas vs. 1 Syracuse

1 Kentucky vs. 2. Villanova

With a Kansas/Kentucky National Championship.

Can't wait for this to get underway on Thursday.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

Ughhhh, the play-in game. How I loathe thee. At the selection party at our coliseum, I thought we got hosed. I felt like we (RPI 160) were a legit 16 seed (has that phrase even been used before?!) and that Lehigh (RPI 153) vs. UAPB (RPI 187) would be the play-in game. How Robert Morris got a 15 is a mystery to me. Once I saw Lehigh got that first 16, I knew we were toast and thought we got the shaft. Now, rational me knows it makes sense. Lowest 2 RPI = the play-in game.

Now, that doesn't change my long-held opinion that the play-in game should be between two bubble teams, and not two conference champions. But what I say doesn't change anything...to the play-in game we go.

Hopefully we can knock off UAPB because I'd really like to be able to go in Jacksonville on Friday. There's no way I can get a substitute for Tuesday and Wednesday, then turn around and make a 6-hour drive to Jacksonville after school on Thursday. Just gotta concentrate on making it to Friday.

Oh, and the first ever play-in game back in 2000?

Northwestern State 71, Winthrop 67. Winthrop becomes the second team ever after Florida A&M to play in two play-in games. However, a SWAC team has never won a play-in game in 4 appearances.

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

Would you mind explaining to me how Florida gets in over Mississippi State? Did Florida beat MSU in the tournament? No. Did Florida go far in the tournament? No. Did Florida even give Kentucky a challenge in 2 meetings this year? No. Did Florida win their sub-division? Nope, but MSU did all of those things & are NIT bound.

Florida DID beat the Bulldogs in the regular season, Flame. I would also think that the Out of Conference schedule strength played into that decision (Florida's was at 110 while Mississippi State was at 208) and their performance against the Top 100 of the RPI (Mississippi State went 8-6 against the Top 100 while Florida went 8-10).

As an Illini fan, you just have to look no further than the 19-14 record to see why we didn't make it.

It sucks. They're better than half the field, but when you don't perform as you should enough to win your games, you can't complain--not about the decision anyways. I've spent the last couple hours complaining, but just about the fact that we're not dancing, not about the committee's decision.

Archived