The 2009-10 College Basketball Clearinghouse.

rams80

Can someone explain how Florida received a #10 seed and Illinois is out?
Illinois lost to Bradley and Utah early in the season. I still think we should have got in, but those losses hurt a lot. Also, the 19-14 record and losing 6 of their last 8 killed them. Next year Illinois should be a lot better, they're only losing one senior and have a very good freshman class coming in.

Now if only they will learn from their experiences. Also, don't lose to in state opponents on a neutral court. Ever. Especially if they aren't in a Power Conference.

The Pac-10 got screwed. A power conference like them should get three or four teams in, minimum.

A Power Conference like them should have three or four good teams to begin with, Will.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As an Illini fan, you just have to look no further than the 19-14 record to see why we didn't make it.

It sucks. They're better than half the field, but when you don't perform as you should enough to win your games, you can't complain--not about the decision anyways. I've spent the last couple hours complaining, but just about the fact that we're not dancing, not about the committee's decision.

Good, mature attitude about it. IL had some good wins (two vs. Wisconsin), but did not always step up (like vs. Minnesota) I thought IL was better than, for example, Minnesota. But Minnesota stepped up better down the stretch. Any bubble team that does not get in can look at a couple games they should have won.

And think of it this way. In a 65 team tourney, no snubbed bubble team was ever going to win the National Title.

I don't blame you for being disappointed, but there's nothing to be angry about.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

My only question:

Why did Wintrhop get the short end and have to face Arkansas-Pine Bluff in the Play-in game?

First, it's "Winthrop" :P

Second - easy, of the 65 teams in the tournament, we had the 64th-best RPI. I know RPI isn't the sole deciding factor for seeding, but Winthrop had no big out-of-conference wins and played in the 26th best conference, RPI-wise. In fact, our ONLY out-of-conference wins were two against South Carolina Upstate (RPI 307), Limestone (D2) and Barton (D2). Granted, we played a tough OOC schedule (Clemson, Charlotte, Cincinnati, NC State) but we didn't really keep it close in any of those. Our only big wins were in-conference, and that was enough to get us dancing in the first place.

Do I like the play-in game situation? Not a bit. But, it'll get us on national TV on a Tuesday, the only NCAA game on. And hopefully we'll take out UAPB and face Duke (...and keep it respectable against them).

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

As an Illini fan, you just have to look no further than the 19-14 record to see why we didn't make it.

It sucks. They're better than half the field, but when you don't perform as you should enough to win your games, you can't complain--not about the decision anyways. I've spent the last couple hours complaining, but just about the fact that we're not dancing, not about the committee's decision.

what makes matters worse:

Illinois will open at Stony Brook on Long Island, N.Y., a road trip made necessary by a scheduling conflict at Assembly Hall in Champaign. The arena is booked Wednesday night for a performance by Cirque du Soleil. :wacko:

what makes matters worse:

Illinois will open at Stony Brook on Long Island, N.Y., a road trip made necessary by a scheduling conflict at Assembly Hall in Champaign. The arena is booked Wednesday night for a performance by Cirque du Soleil. :wacko:

Cirque de Soleil will more entertaining than most of the NIT. ^_^

1zqy8ok.gif

UNC and UConn are both Four Seeds in the NIT

The one's are

Illinois

Arizona State

Virginia Tech

Mississippi State

It really shows that these four were ultimately the last four out.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

1) Vermont has never beaten Syracuse.

2) Syracuse has never lost as a top 3 seed in the first round.

You didn't see the first round of the 2005 NCAA Tournament? When Vermont defeated Syracuse 60-57 in OT?

1) Vermont has never beaten Syracuse.

2) Syracuse has never lost as a top 3 seed in the first round.

You didn't see the first round of the 2005 NCAA Tournament? When Vermont defeated Syracuse 60-57 in OT?

That obviously didn't happen in willmorris' alternate universe. I think he lives in "Bolivian" just down the street from Mike Tyson.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

So did the tourney committee pit Vermont vs. the Cuse to be cute or folksy? Kind of like the Lefty Driesel thing vs. Maryland a few years ago (which my Badgers promptly rolled over and died for).

And if so, did the under-seed Vermont just to do it? That would be pretty lame. Seeding's not a perfect process and some criticism is unfair and unavoidable, but I hope they don't over or under-seed teams just for first round matchups that get people talking about games from a few years ago. That would be very unfair to Vermont.

Reminds of a year in Women's hoops when there were two undefeated teams. Tennessee and Liberty. They met in the first round, 1 vs. 16. Cute? Maybe. Unfair to Libery? Yeah. I think it was in the late 1990s or so.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

My only question:

Why did Wintrhop get the short end and have to face Arkansas-Pine Bluff in the Play-in game?

What I've never understood is why isn't Kansas playing the winner of the play-in game? They were the top #1 seed and I'm assuming the play in game is supposed to be between the two "weakest" teams in the field. Yet that never seems to be the case with the play-in game.

My only question:

What I've never understood is why isn't Kansas playing the winner of the play-in game? They were the top #1 seed and I'm assuming the play in game is supposed to be between the two "weakest" teams in the field. Yet that never seems to be the case with the play-in game.

I believe it alternates regions but I agree the Play in Winner should play the Overall #1 Seed.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

My only question:

I believe it alternates regions but I agree the Play in Winner should play the Overall #1 Seed.

IIRC, the winner of the play-in game always has to play at a Friday/Sunday game site

Archived